HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading up and it seems the reason my USP has turned into a jam-o-matic could be the extractor.

So I cleaned the gunk from the recess behind it. During this I noticed the lower edge of the extractor claw is rounded, is (could) this be the culprit?

The extractor pic from HK parts doesn't look rounded at all.

I have wolff springs in my mags and it does the rear of the case lower, nose of bullet higher thing. Always near the end of mags.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
The bottom of the USP extractor claw is indeed rounded. This is normal.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Still getting failures after cleaning the extractor?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haven't gone yet but will report soon.

edit: There was A LOT of gunk to clean out, hopin this is it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'd double check that I got those springs back in the magazine correctly. I've accidentally put them in 1911's backwards!! Moreover, I've ordered mags for the 4506 from S&W and upon checking and cleaning them the first time before range duty, I noticed the springs were upside down! so, cull the simple things first.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
The extractor being rounded on the bottom leading edges is normal. . . that's where it is filed by HK to make it feed.

If the claw was packed with crud, that could be the culprit. Otherwise, it sounds like your extractor could use a bit of corrective filing. Where are you located?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm in IL.

I'll try it out soon with the cleaned extractor.

But if it needs filing I got some cool really small files I needed for other stuff. Maybe those will work?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sounds normal, HK extractors look like they have a "chip" taken out of the bottom of the claw. After a lot of rounds they do get pretty gunked up underneath the extractor and that can cause problems. I'd avoid filing it, it may have just needed a good cleaning. Exactly what kind of malfunctions are you experiencing? Failure to feed?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
And how many rounds did you have through it without cleaning the extractor? I ask because my P2000 has gone a few thousand without cleaning behind the extractor, with no problems.

Make sure you're not using too much lube....excess lube+heat+carbon/powder=more nasty gunk than normal. FWIW, most people over-lube their pistol.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I'm in IL.

I'll try it out soon with the cleaned extractor.

But if it needs filing I got some cool really small files I needed for other stuff. Maybe those will work?
DO NOT FILE your extractor. If it is the extractor, and it needs reshaping, you would need to know how and what to alter. Random filing will ruin your extractor. Start with the cleaning, and then we'll go from there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for all the help and yeah, I'm not gonna go and just start filing. I would only do that with clear instructions. I did the LEM swap but I don't consider myself an armorer lol

4k+ rounds with no cleaning the extractor.

There's another thread where a guy was having pretty much the same problems with a HK45c. What Orfeo explained in there sounded like what going on. Near the end of the mags when the spring pressure is lessened the rounds end up with the nose of the round getting caught. From what I read it's because the extractor isn't letting the rounds move up right behind the extractor.

^What Orfeo explains here The pic on that page is what mine looks like, sometimes more pronounced.

Will also check mags springs but they looked right from what I remember.

I'm hoping all that crud in the recess was thick enough to not let the extractor work right.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Here's what I would do if it were me and that is take a punch and drive out the "Extractor Roll Pin" and remove the extractor and give it a real good cleaning with some "Hoppes Powder Solvent" and put it back together. The ammunition that you've been shooting are they factory or reloads also did you purchase "new" or "used". The reason why I ask is because if it was bought used you never know exactly how many rounds have been down that barrel. Good luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's what I would do if it were me and that is take a punch and drive out the "Extractor Roll Pin" and remove the extractor and give it a real good cleaning with some "Hoppes Powder Solvent" and put it back together. The ammunition that you've been shooting are they factory or reloads also did you purchase "new" or "used". The reason why I ask is because if it was bought used you never know exactly how many rounds have been down that barrel. Good luck
Did that before I started the thread. Just waiting to go to the range now.

Bought it new a long time ago. So round count is mostly accurate, and only factory loads ever.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry it took me so long to report back! I ran into financial trouble and forgot about the thread with all the other things going on.

Anyways... it's back to its old self and running like a cobra motor :100000:

Thanks you to Orfeo, Chop, TGS, HKORE and everyone else. Your help and wisdom beyond mine was very helpful!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
The extractor being rounded on the bottom leading edges is normal. . . that's where it is filed by HK to make it feed.

If the claw was packed with crud, that could be the culprit. Otherwise, it sounds like your extractor could use a bit of corrective filing. Where are you located?
I just noticed the bottom rounded edge on my USP 45's extractor last night... First thought that popped in my head?? "Ask orfeo on HKPRO"

and heres my answer.... thank you sir!

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I just noticed the bottom rounded edge on my USP 45's extractor last night...
That has come up many times on here over the years! Usually people assume it is from either wear or damage, but it is in fact just the way it is filed after the MIM process.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts