HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am not new to shooting or hunting. I have been doing both for nearly 30 years. I own several handguns, rifles and shotguns, but am looking to get my first AR. I have done hours and hours of research...DI vs GP...chrome moly this, carrier tilt that...staked nuts, blah blah blah...This has been one of the most pain staking decisions I have ever had to make with respects to a new firearm. Information overload. But, after so many hiours of reading and research I have pretty much come to the conclusion that the HK puts out one heck of a product. I have not pulled the proverbial trigger yet, but am really close to doing so in the next day or so...with that said. can I get some advice or feedback on my decision? Thanks

Pooch

·
Registered
818 Posts
Well, you can get Daniel Defense AR for less money. Just as well made in my book. OK, Put on flame suite now ...

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
Some of those "topics" listed (like carrier tilt) are a non-issue with this platform. And many of the "issues" shouldn't be a big deal to the average user.

After building several very high-dollar AR's, I have great appreciation for the MR/416 platform. If you can stomach the cost, and leave yourself enough for add-ons and ammo, I say go for it. It's an incredible piece of workmanship...as well it should be for the asking price.

There are many fine examples of DI AR's that would serve you just as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great decision. You're about to head down a long expensive road with an addiction.
Yeah, that seems to be the trend now a days...first it was hunting, then fishing, then RC airplanes, then a Harley, now im delving into the AR world...I can feel the pain already. :)

Well, you can get Daniel Defense AR for less money. Just as well made in my book. OK, Put on flame suite now ...
I know that there are many more less expensive options, but in NJ, there are not as many dealers as out West. My options are limited and I must admit, I have no desire to buy a Stag or Bushmaster which are pretty rampant here in our state. Ruger and Sig are easy to get too, but once I felt that HK in my hands, I just fell for her...

Some of those "topics" listed (like carrier tilt) are a non-issue with this platform. And many of the "issues" shouldn't be a big deal to the average user.

After building several very high-dollar AR's, I have great appreciation for the MR/416 platform. If you can stomach the cost, and leave yourself enough for add-ons and ammo, I say go for it. It's an incredible piece of workmanship...as well it should be for the asking price.

There are many fine examples of DI AR's that would serve you just as well.
Thanks for the input. Ive learned a few lessons in life about value. sometimes you get what you pay for. I am not saying that the other less expensive models are not as good, but I have held many AR's in the past few weeks and this one just felt right...Its pricey for sure, but i am sure I could sell it with less of a hit than a Stag or Bushmaster, so to me, its like an investment too. Now I have to figure out what goodies I would to put on her...I was looking at a ACOG from Trijicon, the TA31RCO-M150CP for starters..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah, that seems to be the trend now a days...first it was hunting, then fishing, then RC airplanes, then a Harley, now im delving into the AR world...I can feel the pain already. :)
I seem to be paddling the same canoe. I don't hunt much any more, I still fish and my boat is a hole in the water I put money into :wink:, I have several RC planes around, the latest one is a F4U Corsair, and from me to you, skip helicopters - other than coaxial ones the longest I kept one off the ground until I cracked it back up was about 15 seconds.

I figure shortly I am going to have a MR556 as well. And while I plan a few mods which I know is going to cost, I sincerely hope I don't have to rebuild it as often as those stinking helicopters.

Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I seem to be paddling the same canoe. I don't hunt much any more, I still fish and my boat is a hole in the water I put money into :wink:, I have several RC planes around, the latest one is a F4U Corsair, and from me to you, skip helicopters - other than coaxial ones the longest I kept one off the ground until I cracked it back up was about 15 seconds.

I figure shortly I am going to have a MR556 as well. And while I plan a few mods which I know is going to cost, I sincerely hope I don't have to rebuild it as often as those stinking helicopters.

Best of luck to you.
Ha ha..too late bro. I have 5 heli's. 2 raptors, and 3 electrics...I need to sell them! Ive got to much cabbage tied up in this RC stuff. Thanks though, and good luck too.

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts

I know that there are many more less expensive options, but in NJ, there are not as many dealers as out West. My options are limited and I must admit, I have no desire to buy a Stag or Bushmaster which are pretty rampant here in our state. Ruger and Sig are easy to get too, but once I felt that HK in my hands, I just fell for her...

Thanks for the input. Ive learned a few lessons in life about value. sometimes you get what you pay for. I am not saying that the other less expensive models are not as good, but I have held many AR's in the past few weeks and this one just felt right...Its pricey for sure, but i am sure I could sell it with less of a hit than a Stag or Bushmaster, so to me, its like an investment too. Now I have to figure out what goodies I would to put on her...I was looking at a ACOG from Trijicon, the TA31RCO-M150CP for starters..
The addition list is very funny! I sold my Harley Road King a few years ago because I wanted to reduce any additional risk of loss to my family. I did use the proceeds to buy a FMP/HK 21 w/a Qualified Sear pack :). It's crazy a beltfeed MG is safer than a Harley!

My advice skip over the MR556 and get a M16 with a HK 416 Upper 14.5". You will save yourself time and money.

If you are going to be a bear, be a grizzly!
CG

·
Registered
35 Posts
I second what 4C_Dragon said! I have haggled around with all sorts of different AR's over the years. Get the 416 upper and don't look back... And if you can stomach it, a lower with fun switch is just icing one the cake.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The addition list is very funny! I sold my Harley Road King a few years ago because I wanted to reduce any additional risk of loss to my family. I did use the proceeds to buy a FMP/HK 21 w/a Qualified Sear pack :). It's crazy a beltfeed MG is safer than a Harley!

My advice skip over the MR556 and get a M16 with a HK 416 Upper 14.5". You will save yourself time and money.

If you are going to be a bear, be a grizzly!
CG
I hear what your saying, but things in NJ are a little tougher than in other states. my options are very limited. no suppressor, to lug, no full auto, no collapseable stock, 16 inch barrel is minimum, 10 round Mag max....that just about covers it...mine as well by a BB gun. he he...but I do hear what you are saying. thanks for the advice.

I second what 4C_Dragon said! I have haggled around with all sorts of different AR's over the years. Get the 416 upper and don't look back... And if you can stomach it, a lower with fun switch is just icing one the cake.
Im screwed man. no fun switch allowed in NJ. we suck! I'll keep you posted on my purchase though, my local shop is supposed to be getting a nice delivery tomorrow. So it may be sooner than later. :)

·
Registered
709 Posts
You will cringe when you pay but it will be $ well spent! I started with the MR762 then went to the MR556. Liked the 556 so much I bought another! Just sold my Ruger SR556 and plan on selling or moving other AR's to the back of the vault. Hopefully tomorrow you will be a HAPPY man!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Welcome to HK Pro!

I agree with SnapperP7, if you have the means and really want it, heck, buy it. Pictures when you get it! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So much for delivery dates. tuesday has turned into thursday....Keep you all posted. Thanks the vote of confidence.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Ha ha..too late bro. I have 5 heli's. 2 raptors, and 3 electrics...I need to sell them! Ive got to much cabbage tied up in this RC stuff. Thanks though, and good luck too.
Ha! Funny you should mention R/C stuff. My neighbor across the street at my OTHER house in CT has been flying the planes and helis for years. A couple weeks ago, he offered me one of his trainers complete with box (Spectrum 5) for $50. Figured what the hell, why not? He too tends to keep the $3 thousand dollar helis low and slow and just basically hovers them around a bit in the yards while setting off all the dogs in the neighborhood. Even his low altitude heli flights have crashed spectacularly.

·
Registered
80 Posts
FMSPOOCH you probably have already figured this out from your research, but you are going to need a pair of snap ring pliers, or an HK sight tool to zero in the irons. The MR556 does not come dialed in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ha! Funny you should mention R/C stuff. My neighbor across the street at my OTHER house in CT has been flying the planes and helis for years. A couple weeks ago, he offered me one of his trainers complete with box (Spectrum 5) for $50. Figured what the hell, why not? He too tends to keep the $3 thousand dollar helis low and slow and just basically hovers them around a bit in the yards while setting off all the dogs in the neighborhood. Even his low altitude heli flights have crashed spectacularly.
Just out of curiousity, I know a few guys from CT area that fly and shoot. what part of CT? anywhere near Waterford?

FMSPOOCH you probably have already figured this out from your research, but you are going to need a pair of snap ring pliers, or an HK sight tool to zero in the irons. The MR556 does not come dialed in.
Thanks man, I missed that part...it does not come with tools?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Factory NIB comes with the rifle of course, manual, HK Diopter sights, the HK breakdown tool, which to me looks like an allen-head flip out type thing, and 1 - 30 round mag depending on where you are located. No sight tool. But, I'll know more next week. Ordered mine yesterday morning, it shipped the same day. Supposed to be in next week. :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts