1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I'd never heard of plastic live ammo before. It's clearly not for force on force training, so what's the ultimate purpose? Just to be cheaper? IS it significantly cheaper than normal ammo?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Cheaper range training ammo. Idea is it is not as powerful as field ammo, in most range training scenarios you do not need full power ammo. Saved the german govt ammo expense and allowed more live fire as a result.

Great video, one more project to get done! Thanks for the motivation.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I'd never heard of plastic live ammo before. It's clearly not for force on force training, so what's the ultimate purpose? Just to be cheaper? IS it significantly cheaper than normal ammo?
It's purpose is for me to play machine gun with, cheaply. Report and recoil is very similar to shooting .223. Dan's Ammo is selling it for $189 per 1000 rounds landed. My G3 loves this stuff!

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
I love the DAG training ammo. I stocked up on 5000 rounds of it. It runs great through my PTR91 with the UB Training bolt.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hurts my pocket just watching the video!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Can you shoot this ammo on an indoor shooting range?
Is it readily available?
Are there any other caliber available? How about 9mm?

Thank You,

Kelly

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the great review and videos!!! :biggrin:

Tony
you sir are welcome!

Cool thanks for sharing Mark!
We need to somehow make arrangements to go FA lead slingin sometime :biggrin:
I know I can arrange your choice in FA fun with my HK stuff in addition to M60, RPD, AK47, AK74, 1919, FA Glock, Thompson, ppsh41, m16, UZI, MAC 10, FAL, krink, FNC

·
Registered
728 Posts
Are there any other caliber available? How about 9mm?
As for 9mm; You need to consider Swedish-K 9mm training stuff. It was readily available about ten years ago for ~$35 per 1000 rounds, landed. Most people wanted the stuff not for the ammo, but for the steel 36 round stripper clips. The tip of the bullet contains a 5mm steel BB which is the actual projectile. Other than the BB, the rest of the 'bullet' is consumed upon firing the cartridge. Without a special barrel, shooting this stuff in a 9mm weapon will cause damage to the barrel's bore as the BB just bounces down the barrel.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
But you need the bolt group, and I'm guessing it's no longer $120/k?
True. I paid $450 for the bolt and 1000 rounds from a fellow HKProer, then bought another 4000 rounds at $120.

So I guess, it's really $186 per 1k if you look at it like that. Now, I guess the ammo is still available at $189 at Dan's, so I guess I can't really get it much cheaper than that. Still though, it's shooting .308 full auto for about the same price as steel or reloaded 9mm. Not too bad, considering the volume of 9mm that I put through my various sear hosts.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
True. I paid $450 for the bolt and 1000 rounds from a fellow HKProer, then bought another 4000 rounds at $120.

So I guess, it's really $186 per 1k if you look at it like that. Now, I guess the ammo is still available at $189 at Dan's, so I guess I can't really get it much cheaper than that. Still though, it's shooting .308 full auto for about the same price as steel or reloaded 9mm. Not too bad, considering the volume of 9mm that I put through my various sear hosts.
Just making sure you didn't have a secret supplier of this ammo other than Dan. I bought the bolt and a case of ammo way back and stashed it. Looks like I need to go play with this. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Wideners was selling cases for about $90 bucks a few years back...

I love the stuff and have a bunch of it. With a bolt cut down to 51 size, it is an absolute riot to shoot. In fact, I have not taken my sear out of the 51 with the training bolt for over 2 years...cheap, accurate, loud, fireball ammo.

·
Unrepentant HKHolic
Ones that go Bang
5,044 Posts
We need to somehow make arrangements to go FA lead slingin sometime :biggrin:
I know I can arrange your choice in FA fun with my HK stuff in addition to M60, RPD, AK47, AK74, 1919, FA Glock, Thompson, ppsh41, m16, UZI, MAC 10, FAL, krink, FNC
Sounds good!!!! One of these years I plan to make Sar West maybe then...........Nice collection!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts