HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a standard USP .45F with factory installed night sights. Does anyone know what kind of night sights they are? Also, are they fairly comparable with aftermarket night sights? Someone told me that getting factory installed night sights are like buying a car with factory upgraded wheels...that they are inferior to aftermarket ones. That kind of made me mad, because as a novice in handguns I figured I would be better off letting Heckler & Koch install the night sights with the ones they figured would work well with the USP. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
616 Posts
I recently purchased a standard USP .45F with factory installed night sights. Does anyone know what kind of night sights they are? Also, are they fairly comparable with aftermarket night sights? Someone told me that getting factory installed night sights are like buying a car with factory upgraded wheels...that they are inferior to aftermarket ones. That kind of made me mad, because as a novice in handguns I figured I would be better off letting Heckler & Koch install the night sights with the ones they figured would work well with the USP. Any thoughts?
The factory sights a meprolight trudots they are one of the top two standard brands out there. There is no reason to change them out unless you are interested in a different size, want them adjustable, or specific colors. meprolight warranties their sights for 10 - 12 years I believe..

·
Registered
188 Posts
Adjustable

I installed MMC on my USPC 10 years ago. The company replaced the the old ones for free with the color of my choice, however, customer srvice sucks.

Sent the slide only, came back still spot on.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So Meprolight is the brand name, but the material used that radiates light is called Tritium?

·
Registered
616 Posts
So Meprolight is the brand name, but the material used that radiates light is called Tritium?
Yes its tritium, its radioactive and has a half life of about 12 years so they should last a while.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone know if the HK lifetime limited warranty will cover the night sights if they were to go dim after say 20 years? Judging from the half life of 12 years, I supposed they should last at most 24 years.

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,653 Posts
I doubt that night sights are covered under the lifetime warranty. It would be like covering a part that is designed to fail in a short period, like batteries. And 10-12 years is about the time they will be too dim to use at night. They'll still be emitting light after that, but it will not be useful for its intended purpose.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Their half life is 12 years. they WILL be 50% less bright in 12 years no matter what you do. Because of this, no one has a warranty longer than 12 years, and the warranty itself is due to defects not brightness. After 12 years unless you have eagle eyes your not going to want to use them at night anyway. If you want something that doesnt dim as quick use something that requires light to recharge vs radioactivity.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
If you get a dozen years of usage out of your factory night-sights, you way got your money's worth. . . at that point, buy another set and pop them on yourself if you still want night-sights on your pistol. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just as a price check...I paid $760 for my standard USP .45F w/ factory night sights and 2 10 round tactical mags. The cheapest I've seen these pistols around where I live is $799 w/o night sights... (These prices are of course w/o taxes and fees)...Did I get a good price on my purchase or are the prices of HKs in Southern CA just inflated??? W/ all taxes and fees it came out to be $850.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Just as a price check...I paid $760 for my standard USP .45F w/ factory night sights and 2 10 round tactical mags. The cheapest I've seen these pistols around where I live is $799 w/o night sights... (These prices are of course w/o taxes and fees)...Did I get a good price on my purchase or are the prices of HKs in Southern CA just inflated??? W/ all taxes and fees it came out to be $850.

Its ok, you could have done better though. nothing to write home about, but nothing to cry about much either. I only look at LEM trigger models, but for a LEM model with NS and 3 hicap mags the price is is around the same price you paid with about $100.00 in extras, but seeing as you are in california you couldnt have taken advantage of it cause of the hicap mags. I think if you REALLY looked around you could find one for between $650.00 and $675.00.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would very much be interested in finding a dealer or place where I could purchase new HK products for the prices you mentioned. Any idea where that could happen? I looked around for months before buying my gun, and can't seem to find any place better. I called every gun dealer within a 50 mile radius, and couldn't find prices even remotely close to 650

·
Registered
616 Posts
I would very much be interested in finding a dealer or place where I could purchase new HK products for the prices you mentioned. Any idea where that could happen? I looked around for months before buying my gun, and can't seem to find any place better. I called every gun dealer within a 50 mile radius, and couldn't find prices even remotely close to 650
CDNN has great prices. Also gun broker is a GREAT place to find good deals even on new guns. Clyde's armory is great, but I think they only sell guns with hi-cap mags so you have to watch out there. I still like gun broker a lot of dealers start auctions out at great prices hoping for bidding to drive the price up, but often that doesnt happen and the closing price is not much above cost.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Thanks buddy...So the best prices all seem to be online type stores.
Yes because of the volume they sell or the fact that they may have little to no overhead, or occasionally they just need to reduce stock. If you are looking at used pistols some FFL's really dont seem to know what they have and sell pretty cheap.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts