HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My local shop has a factory new German HK45CT, BG date code.

I went to buy it, and the employee pointed out that the barrel and frame have the correct serial number, and match the box, however the slide serial number is literally 1 digit after the proper SN.....for instance frame/barrel -128-xx1555, but the slide is 128-xx1556.

He said it's up to me to buy, and said he personally wouldn't do it, as he'd want his stuff to match.

What would you guys do?

They literally got it from the distributor a week ago.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
I always like matching, but it does not functionally make a hill of beans difference. I'd pass unless it is on a significant discount. If there is one German one out there, there will be others and just look around.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
That means there is one exactly like yours but with your frame & barrel serial on the slide. LOL
I would pass, knowing how often you flip your toys.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They won't give a discount. It's a larger shop, with multiple locations, and they're pretty firm. They aren't know for their low prices, but they do have a great selection.

Either way, I'm passing on it. I'm sure I'll find something that piques my interest.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
I may be a little different I like the anomaly type things........in baseball card football card and coin collecting the anomaly types always brought a little more............
I'll sell you this Custom Combat for 3x more than a regular-priced USP. Interested? It's very unique. LOL

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
I'll sell you this Custom Combat for 3x more than a regular-priced USP. Interested? It's very unique. LOL

It sure IS! I notice the caliber designation is NOT roll marked into the slide ... 9mm or 40sw?

(I thought last Custom Combat were made around AF/AG Date Code)

·
I Bleed Urban Gray
2,880 Posts
It sure IS! I notice the caliber designation is NOT roll marked into the slide
Sure, but the serial numbers all match so it's kinda lame! @TooSixy - I'll trade you a few P7M8 and MP5 mags for that sad little gun.

I'm with you @caf82313 - mismatched serial numbers is cool

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So if I were to get the gun - say I get tired of the gun and wanna sell it.... Hurt or help, or not affect value?

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have two consecutive serial # Ruger 1911s. I don't think I could get more for one if I switched the slides.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
What serial # do they put on the paperwork?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
So if I were to get the gun - say I get tired of the gun and wanna sell it.... Hurt or help, or not affect value?
I think hurt, considering you and the shop both had hesitations on it, a buyer will do likewise. They will assume you damaged the original slide and got a new one at some point. Unless you could really get a factory letter stating it was a rare goof and they should pay extra, and it stayed mint. And even then hard for people to believe. Only get it if you want to shoot it hard and don't care, maybe cerakote it or mill it out for optics...

Shockwave

·
Registered
953 Posts
I agree that the mismatched #s will hurt potential resale value. Now, if the pistol had matching serial #s but mismatched date codes, THAT would be interesting! But, with mismatched serial #s, there's no way to prove that was a factory mistake after the initial sale. That would absolutely kill any potential collector interest.

I also find it ironic that HK fans automatically assume that anything labeled HK will increase in value over time. Not everything is a collectible! And, the more we treat them like collectibles the less they will likely be worth. I'm thinking specifically about things like '90s vintage Hess trucks...you might have a harder time trying to find one that's actually been played with!

Mark

·
Registered
615 Posts
I think hurt, considering you and the shop both had hesitations on it, a buyer will do likewise. They will assume you damaged the original slide and got a new one at some point. Unless you could really get a factory letter stating it was a rare goof and they should pay extra, and it stayed mint. And even then hard for people to believe. Only get it if you want to shoot it hard and don't care, maybe cerakote it or mill it out for optics...

Shockwave
Except the slide is only one digit off, so pretty impossible to get a replacement slide one digit off. It could only be factory issued.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts