HKPRO Forums banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've decided that what I'm going to do - especially considering that this is my duty gun - I'm going to buy a new HKUSP45F and retire this one from duty. I still have a lot of faith in the USP model, but I just can't have this particular handgun of questionable reliability as my duty gun. While it's retired, I can tinker with it and send it away to HK without having to be concerned about it being compromised as my duty gun. Then, once I get if fixed, I can offer it for sale in good faith.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hmmmm....I have over 4300 rounds through my USP 9 and haven't had any problems at all. Date code puts it as a 2006. Could I have jinxed myself? lol.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Update: swapped frames of HKUSP45F and HKUSP45 Expert. Results: FTF on 5th or 6th round each time with BOTH guns with swapped slides/frames!!! Dang! That was all using one 12-round mag. Went out to the car and brought in two more 12-round mags and two 10-round mags and tried those. Discovery: All three 12-round mags produced FTFs on 5th or 6th round each time, but 10-round mags never gave a malfunction!!! These three 12-round mags are all my on-duty mags, but the springs are relatively fresh Wolff +10% mags. ARggh!! Followers in 12-round mags are a mixture - some are the "X" marked followers and balance are earlier, non-"x"-marked followers. These FTF have all been with Federal American Eagle. On this trip I brought some Winchester White box with same FTF results. Bought new USP45F from MLSECPRO ad on these boards to have a (hopefully) reliable duty gun while I work to get the problem fixed on my current USP.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Sounds like you've isolated the problem to those (3) 12-round mags. . .

I would try swapping in the new 45 frame and slide and new mags to really make sure the prob is isolated to those (3) mags. If so, then the next thing I would try is to call Wolff, and tell them you think you may have gotten a defective batch of mag-springs. Of course, I would also make sure to clean inside the mag-bodies real well too. . . just in case.

·
Registered
257 Posts
perhaps a polish of the feedramp could cure it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any new updates on these issues? I just bought a "like new" USP 40 that is also having failures to feed on the last round. This happens about three times per hundred rounds. I've chnged recoil spring, bought new mags, cleaned gun and extractor... Not happy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I also have an USP .40, dated AH, bought NIB in Jan. I've shot about 500 rounds without a problem. However, today at the range, there were 3 FTF out of 150 rounds. 2 of the FTF were similar to the OP, where the nose was pointed up, jammed between the feed ramp and the magazine, with the slide open. The other one with the slide closed. I've always cleaned (Hoppe's elite) and lubed ( rem oil) after each range session. The ammo that I used was CCI Blazer. Now I don't know what to do...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm posting this just to provide a "me, too":

I have a KG dated USPc .40 S&W. Bought it used, with "only a few hundred rounds" through it (according to the OO). I personally put 2500+ rounds through it with ZERO issues, until suddenly I started seeing FTFs randomly with both my 12 and 10 round magazines - also similar to the OP. Sometimes they would completely stovepipe, but most often the slide would just jam the top of the casing against the feed ramp and get stuck there. Ejection of the previous round was not a problem, but I've cleaned my ejector and its super clear of obstructions.

After reading a lot on this forum, my main suspect is the magazine springs, so I have bought a brand new magazine which I am currently using in the gun, and replaced all springs in all magazines with new Wolff +10% springs and am waiting for a chance to drive the hour+ to a range to go test it out.

Slow cycling the gun for 20 or 30 rounds gave no FTFs, and fast hand cycling also gave no FTFs as well, using snap-caps of course for safety.

I have a captive recoil spring, is that normal for a KG dated USPc?

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Any new updates on these issues? I just bought a "like new" USP 40 that is also having failures to feed on the last round. This happens about three times per hundred rounds. I've chnged recoil spring, bought new mags, cleaned gun and extractor... Not happy.
Wolff +10% mag-springs

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know, I know: old post. Gentlemen, please forgive me for such a long overdue update on this post. I see several folks have asked whether there had been any new updates (granted, these have been some time ago), and I figure that there may be others who will have a similar issue crop up and want to know what happened in my case. Therefore I felt I should provide something of an update. I sent my USP45F to HK and somewhat promptly received a phone call from HK telling me that the issue was with the frame rails, that they had somehow gotten out of spec. They sent my USP45F back with a new (at least new to me!) frame... with a different serial number as is still on my slide and barrel (which has created other problems)! They wouldn't speculate as to how the frame got out of spec, but with the added passage of time and with many more rounds down range, it looks like the problem was either directly related or at least exacerbated by the use of the UTL on my USP45F. It seems that the way the UTL clamps onto the USP rails may give rise (or at least contribute) to the problem in that the UTL maintains constant pressure on the frame rails of the USP. To illustrate, take your UTL and lock it down as if it was in place on your USP rails. In this position, you'll notice that the right side is under constant spring tension against the sliding panel in such a way that it wants to rest in an exaggerated position narrower than the rails of the USP. I have two UTL's and both do this so I suspect this is the way most (if not all) of them are designed. Am I positive this is what happened? Admittedly, no. And just as I'm sure there are folks who have been using their USP's with UTL's without issue, I'm sure there are likely others that may be having problems and would just appreciate my findings and guesses after this ordeal. Though this surely does not address every USP FTF issue, hopefully it helps someone who may have the same issue as I had by saving them some time and frustration. Am I getting rid of my USP? Actually, no. In fact, it's still my duty weapon (by choice), but I no longer consider carrying it with the UTL attached. And as if to seal that position, my department has recently updated their policy regarding weapon-mounted lights to require that they have a "remote pressure switch" that is mounted or positioned in the grip area that is able to be activated by the firing hand. Without arguing for or against the merits of such a policy, I do understand that an optional pressure pad switch can be used with the UTL on the USP, but I've found that HK's switch just doesn't work well for me. YMMV.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts