HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 290 Posts

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is with an extremely heavy heart that I share that our friend, Jim Schatz (G3Kurz), died yesterday.

Jim meant so much to all of us. To many within the Heckler and Koch community, Jim was an irreplaceable wealth of knowledge on all things H&K. His extensive experience on the inner workings of the company, the vast catalog of weapons and many of the development and fielding programs was immeasurable. He shared this knowledge freely and we all benefited, knowing that we could not have acquired it elsewhere.

Many of you may have been unaware of the huge efforts Jim also championed on behalf of our constitutional gun rights and improving the military procurement programs, the latter of which were in effort to ensure that our service members receive the best weapons, not just those from those from the lowest bidders. Most notably, in 2015, Jim was recognized by the National Defense Industrial Association with the prestigious Chinn Award. This award is presented annually to honor a government or industry individual who, in the opinion of the Small Arms Committee Executive Board, has made significant contributions to the field of small arms and/or infantry weapons systems.

To me personally, Jim was a dear and trusted friend and mentor. An Army Paratrooper of the highest order; proud and supremely confident; deeply loyal and committed. Over the years he helped me significantly by providing sound advice, recommendations and guidance, as well as just being a good listener. He set a great example for me of what a professional should be and I would truly not be in the place I am now, without his generous efforts.

Looking back now on several memories in small groups and private settings, I can smile and laugh at many of the hilarious stories he shared with me from his experiences over the years. Stories that are now lost, but because he shared them with me, they are not forgotten.

I am a far better person for having known Jim and our world is a much emptier place without him now.

For his family and friends, I wish that the pain of this great loss is soon replaced by cherished memories. Fair winds and following seas, Jim.

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
12,043 Posts
I had just received confirmation of the news when James made this post. Jim will be missed by many. My thoughts and prayers to his spirit, his family and friends. Rest in peace...

·
Super Moderator
4,379 Posts
This is a tough blow to the HK community and it is an undisputed fact that Jim was a lion among us. He will be missed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Truly sorry to hear this, I thoroughly enjoyed all of the information he shared here, my thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

·
Registered
284 Posts
What!?! Oh man - that is a huge loss to the community. He was a bastion of knowledge, and I learned so much by reading his posts over the years. He was pretty young as I recall - what happened?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Damn...I was hoping I was reading the title wrong.

To say that Jim was a fountain of HK knowledge would be an understatement.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Damn, a huge loss to the HK community.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
This really sucks to hear.

One of the most knowledgeable and informed voices in the entire firearms community, and a very respected member of hkpro.

God Bless Jim, and deepest sympathies to his family.

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
12,043 Posts
What!?! Oh man - that is a huge loss to the community. He was a bastion of knowledge, and I learned so much by reading his posts over the years. He was pretty young as I recall - what happened?
Not certain, but out of respect to the family, let us allow time to reveal the manner and moment. Let's not speculate.

·
Registered
731 Posts
What an amazing loss all around especially to this community. Please let us know where we can send flowers/donations/whatever. I ALWAYS enjoyed reading his posts and learning things from an insiders point of view; you will be missed Jim.

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Had the privilege of meeting Mr. Schatz at hkprofest in 2008. A true loss.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I am sad to say that i did not know Jim personally, I am however glad to have crossed paths with him online here and via emails etc.

I do know that no matter how much we would like it to be otherwise, our time here on earth is fleeting and precious. Farewell Jim, you have helped myself and others become better informed on a subject we all love and for that I am grateful to you as mentor.

As you journey forth to rejoin with our maker I wish you a fond farewell but not goodbye.

·
Priest of the P7
5,319 Posts
Terrible, terrible news. I was hoping against hope that the thread title was in some way misleading. Jim never hesitated to stoop to my level to answer a dumb question via pm...and never made me feel like he was doing so either. Great man. Just...terrible.

·
HK Shooting Team
2,882 Posts
James, thanks for sharing the news.....condolences to the entire Schatz family.

·
Registered
41 Posts
RIP sir..........you are missed.

1 - 20 of 290 Posts