HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think of the Federal HST round. The expansion is the most impressive i have ever seen. However i have jamming issues with it in my USP .45. Is there something better. I would appreciate your opinions. thanks

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have seen the ballistic tests for several pd's and they are great, but not that much different than the other top brand names. Personally I think its a big marketing gimmick more than anything. I havent heard of any jamming issues before though.

·
Registered
261 Posts
My department uses the HST and it has preformed very, very good. On the other hand it won't do you any good if it doesn't go bang every time. You can't really go wrong with all the defensive ammo out there (I also like Gold dots). Just pick one your pistol likes, get good hits on target and it will do the trick.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
My Colt Commander, Colt Govt. Model, and USP Compact .45, all feed Federal HST flawlessly. Try Hydra Shok or Speer Gold Dot

G

·
i currently use hydrashocks and sometimes I hear gripe about how their rounds are old technology. Do hydra's really provide adequate expansion compared to other type HP's? or should i be picking up some of these HST's i hear so much about? :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have a box of FED HST in the 230 +P form. The edges where the jacket is pre-scored for expansion seem a bit rough to me. I have also heard a complaint or two about the Golden Saber catching (on the overlapping jacket edges) and jamming on the feed ramp. But then again it's used by the FBI among other top agencies so the reliablity has to be pretty high to get their nod for selection. HST is a member of the ATK parent company that also owns CCI/Speer Gold Dot, if they look alike when expanded that may be why. I still have yet to decide what load to use in my .45 when I add on to my carry permit. I am pretty set on the Gold Dot in 200 +P or 230 Grains, but do need to test fire some to be absolutely certain. Bottom line is to fire enough of your intended carry ammo that you feel comfortable in it's accuracy and function in the weapon you use. I probably have fired more Ranger SXT in my 45s than anything else and it's 100%. For my .40, I was able to secure 500 rounds of 165 Golden Saber Bonded so that gives me enough to test and carry.

·
Registered
383 Posts
There's no 'law' on any of the common defensive ammo.

It's a rule that some companies, ATK imparticular, wont sell certain ammo to civilians, but it's perfectly fine to own it. You just have to find a shop that will sell it to you. Most of them will.

Ammotogo has all the good stuff at good prices.

I just picked up a few boxes of 165gr HST .40sw from them at $20.95 / 50rds. They have the 155gr Ranger-T's, the non-bonded version, for $17.95 / 50rds right now too.

G

·
Get the 650fpe ammo from Doubletap

Functions perfectly in my HK45 and its the most powerful round out there.

regards
TGH

1 - 16 of 16 Posts