HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering an HK45 for home defense duty. I prefer a trigger that is the same each pull so leaning to LEM. I have shot the Lem trigger so familiar with it. Here is my question???

Are there advantages to the LEM trigger system vs a striker fired pistol (i.e. Waiting on the VP45?) keeping in mind this would be a defensive hand gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Longer take up, though in my opinion without the heavy pull that's not as big of a safety factor as most people make it out to be. I think if you buy it as SA/DA with safety/decocker (I don't know what version numbering HK45s follow) you can do the LEM conversion and retain the thumb safety. For consistent trigger pull don't forget cocked and locked is an option. I like striker for nightstand/HD.

Other than the trigger preferences the advantage of HK45 is it's actually available now. Who knows if/when the VP45 is coming out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I keep my hk45 cocked and locked, 1911 style as i dont care much for the longer LEM trigger. I removed the de cocker plate from mine to just safety so i can ride the safety without worrying about de cocking

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
I do not care for the small grip and short trigger LOP of the HK45. I do have large hands, so not sure if you have that issue. The HK45 is better suited for the small hand person vs. the USP.

It does not make sense that HK does not offer panels for the HK45 series like the P30 and VP series, so this is not an issue.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Never cared for the LEM, I've had my 45c with safety converted to SAO. It's had trigger work so that helps. Ultimately it's what you fell comfortable with. Regarding the I query to LEM vs Striker, I presume that you mean hammer vs striker. I generally dislike striker fired pistols they tend to feel cheap to me and the form or fit are undesirable.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I've never had a problem with the HK45 trigger even the standard one, get one and practice with it you'll be fine....Probably.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My HK 45 sits in the nightstand. It's DA/SA with the safety decocker. It has been utterly reliable and is a pleasant shooter. Like 4C Dragon, I also wish they made the HK45 with interchangeable side panels, as I need a large grip. that however is my only complaint.

Great gun IMO. I do really like the LEM trigger system and I'm considering switching mine. Get night sights if you can.

·
Super Moderator
6,045 Posts
If you're a trigger slapper, LEM isn't for you. DA/SA is fine on the HK45s, I have never felt the need to change them, or the light LEM HK45.

Once you master LEM it is faster and more consistent than the DA/SA. You can't really lose though.

My fastest strings were with the light LEM. I am also a reset rider though.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
HK45 is a great shooter. The ergonomics are great also. The gun just feels right in the hand.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Picked up my HK45 in full-OD Green today. Over 200 rounds at the range already and I'm completely in love - the HK45 with the medium backstrap (larger of the two) fits perfectly in my hand like no other pistol, HK or otherwise. I had an LEM Tactical model previously but I just never really clicked with the LEM and simply prefer DA/SA or cocked and locked.

To answer your question, the advantages of LEM or other hammer fired pistols include second strike capability, increased safety in reholstering with the thumb over the hammer, better tactile and visual feedback than a striker (Google search "LEM as a Street Trigger" for a great article), etc. If you're a fan of the LEM then go with that - a VP45 will just be different than the HK45 whenever it eventually comes out, not better or worse.

P.S. The VP45 might be a while, or it could be in six months, we just don't know for sure. The good news is you can get one HK in .45 now, and just continue building your collection when the VP45 comes out :350:

·
Priest of the P7
4,796 Posts
I do not care for the small grip and short trigger LOP of the HK45. I do have large hands, so not sure if you have that issue. The HK45 is better suited for the small hand person vs. the USP.

It does not make sense that HK does not offer panels for the HK45 series like the P30 and VP series, so this is not an issue.
I disagree. I wear size 11/XL gloves and I think the HK45 is perfect.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts