HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gentlemen. First time posting, and unfortunately not a positive post. I just purchased my first HK firearm in the end of July. I went ahead and got a Mark 23, date code BG. I just put through it 125 rounds last Wednesday. My God this thing is amazing! The uneducated "experts" on the internet that say so many negative things about it just don't know what they are talking about. This pistol is by far my favorite in my collection. She's a skookem choocher!

Anyways, I am well aware of the premature wear of the finish that occurs on the barrel. I came to expect that after reading many posts and watching videos on youtube. But after searching for quite sometime I can't seem to see anything mentioned about slide wear. In the pictures below my slide has started to chip forward of the barrel hood. Please keep in mind this is only after 125 rounds through it. I've only used some Balistol, slide glide and lubriplate 130-A on the pistol. Is this normal?

IMG_1780.JPG IMG_1781.JPG IMG_1782.JPG

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello! I`m new to the forum and not so expirienced, but this how looks mine H&K USP 9x19 after 2- 3700 rounds. Sorry if the quality of the pictures is not good, but thats my phone camera can do. Hope you found it helpfull. I use only Balistol. 20160905_100440.jpg 20160905_100501.jpg 20160905_100638.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the reply and pics. Your USP looks to be in great shape. The Mark 23's finish is notorious for not holding up too well. Mine seems a bit abnormal with such a low round count. We'll see. Thanks again!

·
Registered
144 Posts
My Mark 23 is much older than yours, but back then it had a black lacquer finish on the slide (yours looks like it is finished the same as mine is) that is prone to chipping during use. HK warned of this in the documentation that was included with the pistol but advised that was cosmetic and that corrosion resistance would not be harmed. HK claims that corrosion resistance is still provided by by the nitrocaborizing and phosphating underneath the lacquer.

Since the original military pistols were finished this way, I accept this for what it is.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hello! I`m new to the forum and not so expirienced, but this how looks mine H&K USP 9x19 after 2- 3700 rounds. Sorry if the quality of the pictures is not good, but thats my phone camera can do. Hope you found it helpfull. I use only Balistol. View attachment 57657 View attachment 57665 View attachment 57673
Good of you to try to help the OP. Your barrel hood marks are a different issue -- there is no slide paint to chip off on a USP 9.

What you are seeing on your USP 9 is the normal rubbing on the top of the barrel hood by the slide as the slide passes over the camming-down barrel during cycling. Every one of my HKs has this mark (USPs, P30s, VP). You will likely find the same sort of rubbing occurring on the right side of the barrel just above the bottom of the ejection port. Both are normal HK close-fit sliding part wear.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Didint known that, thank you for the explanation! :)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Good of you to try to help the OP. Your barrel hood marks are a different issue -- there is no slide paint to chip off on a USP 9.

What you are seeing on your USP 9 is the normal rubbing on the top of the barrel hood by the slide as the slide passes over the camming-down barrel during cycling. Every one of my HKs has this mark (USPs, P30s, VP). You will likely find the same sort of rubbing occurring on the right side of the barrel just above the bottom of the ejection port. Both are normal HK close-fit sliding part wear.
When I clean my guns, I always smear a thin dab of silicone grease on the inside top of the slide where it comes back over the barrel, This is the same grease I use on the slide rails. Like oil separates piston rings from engine cylinder walls, this film of grease seems to be just enough to prevent this wear from occurring, or at least goes a long way in preventing it, and the grease hangs in there for a long time in between "normal" cleanings. Obviously, it is best practiced on a new weapon. Hopes this helps owners who want to keep the finish longer.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
To the OP, your's is not the maritime finish, and as such, I can't say that I've seen that with the current Mark 23's.
You may want to ask HK USA.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate the comments, fellas. I made sure to apply grease on the barrel hood and inside the slide to lessen the wear. I've seen many pics of Mark 23 barrels looking terrible, but I haven't seen any wear on the slide itself. I would like to find out if anybody has experienced this on their slides.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Though the rubbing of the hood wearing through is normal, something physically chipped off the edge of the slides top finish, maybe when you were disassembling or reassembelling?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe. But knowing how fragile the coating is I watch how I handle this gun. And the main reason I made this purchase was the fact how over built and engineered this gun is. No regrets.

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
I'll check mine when I get home. I think its doing that. I have less than 1000 rounds thru it but never even paid attention or cared. But lemme check, I may be wrong.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Part of me is bummed that the Mark 23 finish is fragile. The other part of me realizes this gun was made for folks who don't care about the cosmetics of a gun.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I recommend calling HKCS... I had different HKs over the years, new and used, and never saw a slide chip in that area..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's true. The fragile finish wouldn't bother me so much if the pistol was fugly. But there's something about the way it looks. My God it's a sexy beast!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just emailed them. If they request I send the pistol to them, will they send me a prepaid shipping label or am I out $70-80 for overnight shipping?

1 - 20 of 80 Posts