HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished cleaning the green paint off of it. It's all stripped down again and ready to put a nice (or just adequate) finish on. I'm just going to be shooting the thing so I don't care if it's beautiful. I've got a can of black BBQ grill paint. Good up to 1200 deg. Does that work well? Or will it eventually suck and I'd be much better off just using some real stuff like Duracoat?

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I painted a C93 with regular satin black krylon. Looked great actually.

·
Registered
480 Posts
baked cerakote is the way to go. Not expensive and holds up very well. Not hard to apply but you will need a airbrush.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've been using MolyResin for years and I'm sold on it. If you have a compressor and preferably a blast cabinet (or access) it's an extremely user friendly durrable product. It's MEK lays on very well especially if you preheat and there's no waste as it's not a two part style finish. There's not many products in life that I'm truely sold on, but this is one I have nothing but good things to say about.
Here's a pic of a Galil I built finished in SOCOM (Flat) black.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just alox blasted, parked and duracoated my ba89k. after a hundred rounds, the duracoat is already chipping off leaving park showing through underneath. I soaked it in stripper then hosed it off with brake cleaner before spraying the duracoat, but it didn't seem to want to hold. Grill paint might just be the ticket given that it's ten bucks cheaper.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
You could paint it like that nasty looking HK91A3 over on GB. The one that looks like a lizard on a bad acid trip.

·
Registered
10,251 Posts
I just alox blasted, parked and duracoated my ba89k. after a hundred rounds, the duracoat is already chipping off leaving park showing through underneath. I soaked it in stripper then hosed it off with brake cleaner before spraying the duracoat, but it didn't seem to want to hold. Grill paint might just be the ticket given that it's ten bucks cheaper.
Odd... DuraCoat is usually bulletproof applied over park. My guess is that you didn't get all the oil off the park.

DuraCoat or Molyresin... those are the two best ways to finish a gun. You can get an excellent two stage air brush over at Pat Catans craft stores. Just suck it up and go into the chickza artsy-fartsy craft store (you'll be the only guy in there... but deal with it). They usually have Paasche airbrushes at decent prices. Also gives you more choices on what you can do...

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I vote grill paint. Post some pics of the finished product you pic whore!!
You got it. Not a great pic, but the best I could do with my camera phone when leaving this morning...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts