HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was torn between this and a G36 conversion, but in the end this rifle was such a great shooter I could not bring myself to have the barrel chopped. So I had some help from Tbostic(stock) and added a DokRak rail, harris bipod, and a Leupold MR/T 2.5x8. I'm going shooting this weekend rain or snow, so I'll toss some action shots in the range report later.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Looks great! Looking to the range report.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Boomer,

did you use the necessary u.s. made parts, seeing that when you cut the stock and essentially make a pistol grip, ATF usually considers this not fit for "sporting purposes". I was thinking of doing the same thing. I wanted to keep the 10 rd capacity, but swap the original thumbhole stock with a G36 one and add a G36 lower, just for looks. Everyone told me it not compliant because of the above.

Let me know.

Scottoe

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Boomer,

did you use the necessary u.s. made parts, seeing that when you cut the stock and essentially make a pistol grip, ATF usually considers this not fit for "sporting purposes". I was thinking of doing the same thing. I wanted to keep the 10 rd capacity, but swap the original thumbhole stock with a G36 one and add a G36 lower, just for looks. Everyone told me it not compliant because of the above.

Let me know.

Scottoe
I coughed up the extra $200 to put it on a form 1. Some say a little rediculous since I have no plans on actually shortening the barel but well worth it to me for the look acheived. (Thanks for pointing that out scottoe.)

EDIT... On a side note... A $200 stamp was cheaper and quicker than trying to come up with 10 US made parts.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
Looks great Boomer! That's the what the SL8 SHOULD have looked like.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Wow Wow Wow
Awesome Job!
I really like the looks that rifle. Almost makes me want to die and tweak my SL8-1.

Don't forget the range pics!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Damn it Boomer!

I thought there might be a loophole. But good point about the tax stamp. I'll think about that. beautiful rifle.

Scottoe

·
Registered
484 Posts
Thats an awesome looking rifle! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Boomer, looks like what I plan to do with mine but using a Leupold Mk4 MR/T 1.5x5. How did you do the hand grip and if glued what did you use.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Boomer, looks like what I plan to do with mine but using a Leupold Mk4 MR/T 1.5x5. How did you do the hand grip and if glued what did you use.

A member here (Tbostic) did the work on my stock. Excellent work, and almost have 1K rounds through it with no cracking, chipping, or flaking of material.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Thanks guys, I usually turn around a stock in a week to 2 weeks depending on what you need done. I sell them complete less fire control parts for $375.00. I have one in house now that I an finishing up.I can also add the wood grain so it looks like a PSG1 for an additional $60.00. You can check out www.myspace.com/tommybuilt look in the Guns album I have a few pictures of my conversions posted up there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Got the trigger group in and can't wait to get it to the range but I'll wait until it gets warmer the -27C. My Babe fell in love with my AR and took it but the size and weight of the SL8 will keep it in my hands.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts