HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been expeiramenting with my HK94A3. I have tried two different shooting styles. One with the toe of the stock high on my shoulder so that the gun can simply be rolled up into firing position without having to lower my head to the sights and the with the stock fullying in the poscket of my shoulder which necessitates that I bring my eye doewn to the iron sights. For those of you with fromal training on the MP5. What is the correct/recommended method? I have also heard that some of the English units train with the HK sling and they push the weapon out so that the sling is out. What is the preferred method?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Butt stock as close to the center of your chest as possible. Tuck your elbows against your body and lean forward on the balls of your feet. The leaning forward is mainly to push against the gun at full auto.

It took some getting used to but it works really well. You can feel the way the leaning forward on the balls of your feet helps when you fire semi-auto as fast as you can.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Butt stock as close to the center of your chest as possible. Tuck your elbows against your body and lean forward on the balls of your feet. The leaning forward is mainly to push against the gun at full auto.

It took some getting used to but it works really well. You can feel the way the leaning forward on the balls of your feet helps when you fire semi-auto as fast as you can.
This is exactly the way Tom (HKPRO) teaches in his MP5 Operator's course. If you do it correctly you can dump a 30 round magazine in a 3 inch circle at 5 yards.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
This is exactly the way Tom (HKPRO) teaches in his MP5 Operator's course. If you do it correctly you can dump a 30 round magazine in a 3 inch circle at 5 yards.
Well, some of us could. :) Mine was more like a 5" circle at 3 yards.

I remember something else about ninja style vs. gamer style.

But the description sounds just like what I remember.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Did someone say Ninja? LOL, the first time I tried an MP5A2 the SWAT guy told me about leaning forward on the balls of my feet but not about the center chest thing. I placed the rifle in the normal shoulder pocket position and emptied 2 mags. I had about a 24" group at 7 yards. The recoil was lite but the muzzle really wants to lift up and to the right if i remeber correctly. It was ugly but I hit the silhouette with all but a couple rounds. It was fun!

·
Registered
229 Posts
One of your issues will be with the A3 retractable stock. The rails of that item don't allow for a really good cheek weld of proper height, so you end up with your head down and a little offset. The technique prescribed by HK, and stated by P7M8 allows for you to keep your head in a more upright position, by centering the weapon to your chest. Keep your arms tucked in so that your elbows are almost vertical to avoid the dreaded "chicken wing".

The A3 stock can be shot SAS style with the stock retracted and the sling adjusted for you to push the weapon out in front of you against the sling. This technique is only good for about 5yds and less, and is more instinctive point shooting, pushing out to the target when shooting.

The low bore and sight axis of the MP5 really precipitate the need for some type of optic for fast target aquisition.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input...

I will have to give it a try this weekend. When you talk a bout center of chest, your talking about as close to the sternum as possible?

·
Registered
558 Posts
As close as possible. Not your traditional hunting shotgun placement. You can't really see how close to center it is in this pic but you can see it's not in the typical "shoulder pocket".

·
Registered
179 Posts
One thing I found really helpful in the HKPro course was using the weak hand to pull the gun into my chest and not merely using it for weapon support. That helped keep the weapon from climbing on me...esp. in addition tousing the "close to centerline" stock position. Also square-up to the target not bladed like typical rifle stance.

+1 on the a3 stock having no cheekweld...it helps that I use an aimpoint on mine so I'm a bit higher up than iron sights (no co-witness) but that works for me. I figure if my aimpoint dies I can rip it off with the throw lever mount...it should be noted though that I am only a "somewhat" competitive guy and not a "tactical/life on the line" kinda guy...ymmv

For competition I usually put on my A2 stock but the a3 sure is handier to carry around.

Sign up for one of HKPRO's classes...it is worth much more than the fee he charges...and is a really fun day of shooting.

It is worth the fee just to see him put 30 rds in the 3" target...gotta see to believe it.

Maybe this random picture of some strange un-known guy will help.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
hey! what's the name of that yellow colored ear protection above operator wears?
where can I get one? I've seen it before and I'm wondering it's better than surefire one.
sorry for off topic Q.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Sight base

+1 on the a3 stock having no cheekweld...it helps that I use an aimpoint on mine so I'm a bit higher up than iron sights (no co-witness) but that works for me. I figure if my aimpoint dies I can rip it off with the throw lever mount...it should be noted though that I am only a "somewhat" competitive guy and not a "tactical/life on the line" kinda guy...ymmv
What sort of base do you use and Brugger & Thomet or other? Additionally, is it a low profile or a higher mount. I assume you use a low profile so you can use your iron sights. While on the topic of iron sights my understanding is that by rotating the drum you only change the diameter of the ring, and that therer is no elevation change, is that correct?

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
What sort of base do you use and Brugger & Thomet or other? Additionally, is it a low profile or a higher mount. i aasume you use a low profuile so you can use your iron sights. While on the topic of iron sights my understanding is that by rotating the drum you only change the diameter of the ring, and that therer is no elevation change, is that correct?

Thanks again.
On the MP5 sights, yes, just the diameter changes. Mine is on the next to smallest size, and never moves.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have been expeiramenting with my HK94A3. I have tried two different shooting styles. One with the toe of the stock high on my shoulder so that the gun can simply be rolled up into firing position without having to lower my head to the sights and the with the stock fullying in the poscket of my shoulder which necessitates that I bring my eye doewn to the iron sights. For those of you with fromal training on the MP5. What is the correct/recommended method? I have also heard that some of the English units train with the HK sling and they push the weapon out so that the sling is out. What is the preferred method?
FWIW, a Federal Agency that uses the MP5 teaches the toe of the stock high in the pocket of the shoulder method. The also teach squared off to the target, weight forward on the balls of your feet. You still need to crane your head over a bit to get a decent cheek-weld but it doesn't seem as severe as some of the posted pictures look.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts