HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ultimately, I know I need to rent some pistols at a range to gauge feel, but I like to do my homework first. I'm looking for a first gun, in .45 caliber, primarily for home defense, and when traveling to the desert/mts to go off-road motorcycling with a toy hauler.

Based on reliability, reputation, accuracy, etc. the USP Compact .45 seems like the best of all words.

Question 1: Not sure which variant is best for a newbie to shooting?

Question 2: Now that Beretta has released a .45 version of the PX4 Storm, I'm also very interested in it. Can you explain the technical / safety / and performance differences between the USP Compact .45 and the PX4 Storm .45?

Other things I should consider for this purchase?

I live in San Diego, CA.

Recommendations for a great dealer?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Carry much (at all)?
Home Defense?
Have you shot LEM?

1: While you could try to analyze which variant would be best for any situation, Var 1 gives you the most options to carry your weapon. From what it sounds like, a safety is an important feature.

2: Beretta's new release of the .45 version of the storm may or may not prove to be great. The USPc .45 already has the great track record.

Technically : another plastic pistol

Safety: looks exactly like an M9 except for the firing pin block on the top is missing. That said I hate the M9's controls and mush prefer the USP's.

Performance: is going to depend on you, your ammo, and attention to cleaning either pistol.

Shoot both and see what you prefer.

·
Requiescat in Pace
2,393 Posts
2: Beretta's new release of the .45 version of the storm may or may not prove to be great. The USPc .45 already has the great track record.
That's what I'm thinking. Stick with the USP Compact.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
I have a USPC in 45 myself and it is a great pistol. I have never had or handled a storm so of course my opinion is going to be the USPC. However, it sounds like you have the right idea about renting both at the range.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I've shot the 9mm storm and I thought it wasn't bad. Probably grip feels fairly close to the P2000, but that's just a guess (about 1 month between trying the two). Just that the storm is a new pistol and unproven in the field. IIRC, the storm uses a rotating barrel block rather than the modified-browning tilting block in the USP, but I don't really know how that affects reliability.

Shot pretty accurately though. The guy who owned it had this really weird stance and didn't hold the gun at full extension so he was pretty happy to shoot 9" groups at 7 yards. I asked if I could try it, and immediately did 3" at the same range (I'm not great, but 9" groups at that close is pretty bad for slow fire :p)

At least the storm felt controllable when firing. The 92 feels like trying to control a log for me. In all, I'd probably buy it, but I don't care for the controls much, and I just fell in love with the P2000 anyway :p

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have also been considering buying a PX-4. BTW I called Beretta today and the .45 PX-4 should be in stores in a couple of weeks (if you believe them like HK ha ha).

The 9mm feels good in the hand, and the trigger feels good, but I have not actually fired one. Another important thing for us (the 9mm would be for the Mrs.) the slide is easy to rack.

Have been considering an XD or PX-4 or an M&P in 9mm and .45. (Please don't suggest a P30 - got it already).

I am also curious what the HK folks think about these "less expensive" pistols.

·
Registered
19 Posts
As far as dealers, I went around to just two local places here in San Diego. Turners in Clairemont Mesa and then Discount Gun Mart off Morena Blvd. I ended up going into Turners and walking out the door 3 min later to never return. I wasn't too fond of the guys behind the table. Discount GunMart was pretty expensive, but at the time they had a deal on their fullsize USPs and I ended up purchasing my USP FS .45 there. They also have an indoor range so I always go back in there and the employees are always nice guys, but again they could be a little overpriced.

http://www.discountgunmart.com/

·
Registered
14 Posts
PX-4
Grip - Adjustable backstrap. Works well enough, but are made of hard plastic. I had to rma a few before I got a good set. Some are molded too small, so when installed, binds mags. Apparently a common issue.
Accurate & low recoil - The rotating block seem to work for me. It was very easy to hit center. Very little flip. Supposedly older Cougar line had issues with compact version sheering this block.
Good trigger - Out of the box, DA was smooth. SA had one rough spot which smoothed out after couple of hundred rounds.
Poor safety - Control's too small and very stiff. Difficult to manage one handed.
Sights - A bit small, but works fine.
Note - Fun gun to shoot, easy for beginners to shoot accurately. No idea on durability.

USPc
Grip - One size fits some. Difficult to get thumbs forward grip for me.
Mediocre trigger - nuff said
Accurate - Don't concern yourself with the length of the barrel. HK's are ridiculously accurate... my P2KSK outshoots many full size guns.
Variants - Very versatile. You can get just about any type of trigger/safety.
Good controls - Mag release confuses new people, but is quick once you're used to it.
Sights - Good stock 3 dot.
Note - Proven gun, flexible in fire control.

XD
Grip - Thumb over thumb works well, with thumbs forward, I hit the slide release. Sometimes, this method fails to engage backstrap safety.
Trigger - Moderate. Easy enough to get mods for.
Recoil - Very flippy in 9mm, a bit painful in 40, fun in 45.
Controls - Besides riding the slide release, rest are easy to reach.
Sights - Decent 3 dot.
Note - Probably one of my favorite 45. People prefer the 4" model over 5".

M&P
Grip - Good medium grip, large has odd palm swells. Very slippery gun.
Trigger - Long and gritty. Good trigger job's cheap.
Recoil - Decent.
Controls - Good layout.
Sights - Strangely the rear dots are slightly larger than the front, causing some difficulty focusing on the front sight.
Note - Stock sucks, but is cheap/easy to make this into a good shooter.

For a 9mm, I prefer the p2000 over any of the above. Good controls, great accuracy, smoother lines for CCW, interchangeable grips, and good trigger out of the box. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
here's some info someone gave me when I bought my first gun (I currently own 20 something firearms, and have fired 500+)...

they said, "forget about caliber or magazine capacity for a first gun. Buy the gun you can shoot, shoot acurately, and hit with every time."

If you are buying your first firearm, most likely you have little to no firearms experience. Or, perhaps millitary experience only. That being said, don't just go buy a sweet gun because it's cool.

Still, spend some decent money on a decent firearm. But, buy the one you can shoot. If you can't hit within 3-4 inches at 50 yards, it definitely isn't the gun for you.

One of the first guns I bought was a glock. I couldn't shoot it well. I got rid of it. Then, when I was much more experienced, I bought a few glocks, and I love them.

All this being said, I don't own the new beretta, because I've shot it several times, and it's merely a new take on an old idea that SEVERAL other companies have previously done 10x better.

I've never missed with an HK.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Mizu Usagi - Great comparison. Thanks Much.

Shot the M&P 9mm compact - little snappy and not very comfortable.

Shot the M&P full size .45 couple of FTEs out of 20 rounds and these where a S&Ws rep guns.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought a PX4 after getting tired of waiting for the HK45 to come out to replace my old USP40.

One thing I don't like was early on the PX4 had a trigger sting to it, and it seems most common in the 40cal models. The berretta forum people came up with a solution by using grease on the outside of the barrel.

After some 1000 rounds my PX4 doesn't sting my finger anymore. I guess it has been broken in.

I find it to be as accurate as my USP 40. I'm not sure how much the rotating barrel kills felt recoil - maybe its a little less flippy than my USP. The backstrap is nice and I've got the thin one in for my girly hands. It seems reliable enough. I haven't had any issues so far. But I owned my USP since '94 and honestly in 13 years I broke 2 hammer rebound springs in my USP and each time the gun still worked with that busted part. Will the PX4 stand up over time like my USP?

The plastic guide rod in the PX4 says no.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the last couple of informative posts!

Great comparison, and info to look for.

Appreciate the help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts