HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post was mistakenly done in the Member's Gallery section and didn't see the Rookie corner. So for my second noobie intro:

First off great forum! I've been up late nights reading up researching reviews on my next purchase. Narrowed my choices down to the M&P, Walther PPQ and P30 V2 LEM. I've been a Glock owner for a while now and was thinking maybe the M&P & PPQ would be a perfect fit since they're both striker fire. Got my G19 back in 1994(ish) and later a G26 to better CC a few years later (both with trigger mods). Been enamored with the USP since they were released and not too long ago at the LGS the guy says "if you like the USP you may also like this" and handed me a P30. It reminded me of when I first touched a boob. It just felt right. ;) Been shopping locally in hopes of supporting the community but no luck finding a V2 LEM. Online shops weren't in stock and I was giving up hope until I called a range I used to be a member at (Caswell's Mesa AZ) which had two. Got a great price and raced over and to claim the beauty. Haven't got to the range yet - waiting for a pack of snap caps and Winchester NATO to come to break in the P30. Have a few hundred of 115 grain that the Glocks eat with ease but with the knowledge of this forum - a hotter load works best to break in the spring. Hence why I haven't been to the range yet. Anywho, she's stock as stock can be and depending how I like the LEM trigger - perhaps Gray Guns can work their magic and some sites.

I rented an H&K P30 at the local range (V3 decocker) and a few times after expelling the last round the slide didn't lock open. I'm wondering if my grip was putting pressure on the slide release bar? FWIW - I'm a left and looking for an IWB holster. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My apologies for the Glock bench mat. Wish H&K made a better P30 than what's currently available.

N82Tactical IWB for the G26 in the background....

Regards,
Edward

·
Registered
571 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Nice acquisition and photos.

As for the range rental, it's very possible you were holding the slide catch/release down. It could have been other factors as well, considering the way range guns are generally treated with lack of maintenance and round counts - weak mag springs, weak ammo, on and on.

I prefer leather from Ryan Grizzle, specifically the T&C for IWB.
Holsters by RGrizzle

I don't know how much experience you have carrying, but there are a multitude of options with styles and materials, and you generally go through a few holsters before you figure out what works best for you.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Congrats, if you u search there are quite a few guys with the same issue , really watch your grip.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Some good ideas for IWB holsters are the Crossbreed Supertuck and the Comp-Tac MTAC.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum. Nice acquisition and photos.

As for the range rental, it's very possible you were holding the slide catch/release down. It could have been other factors as well, considering the way range guns are generally treated with lack of maintenance and round counts - weak mag springs, weak ammo, on and on.

I prefer leather from Ryan Grizzle, specifically the T&C for IWB.
Holsters by RGrizzle

I don't know how much experience you have carrying, but there are a multitude of options with styles and materials, and you generally go through a few holsters before you figure out what works best for you.
Thanks for the welcome, tips and link! I'm leaning towards leather but the hybrid iwb's look promising. Also, been carrying for 19 years and have been using two holsters. Now, gained a few pounds and not slim as used to so bulging has become an issue. Ha!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I have not tried either of them actually...just going on what I have heard here. I have a Galco Minataur Spartan IWB. It's not great though...gets pretty uncomfortable if you wear it for too long.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have not tried either of them actually...just going on what I have heard here. I have a Galco Minataur Spartan IWB. It's not great though...gets pretty uncomfortable if you wear it for too long.
Good to know and appreciate your feedback on the Minataur. I actually have, err had it on my list of holsters to shop.

Well, got back from the range and again, slide not locking back when the last round has expelled. I picked up some snap caps in hopes of practicing a new grip. I notice my left thumb (I'm left handed) rests on the slide release and my right thumb just past the slide on the logo/indentation. Talking about teaching an old dog new tricks. Looks like I need to buy more ammo and practice the grip. Also, shot pattern was low right - 4 - 5:00 position. I'm guessing a combination of flinching and pulling the harder trigger I'm used to? Or not enough right hand support?

But overall love the feel of the P30 and willing to work on my grip as well as the heavier trigger pull for a while longer. If not, perhaps a trip to Gray guns is in store for the P30. ;)

E

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I also have a tendency to shoot low right with my P2000 LEM (lefty as well). Before using the time and money to send it to Gray Guns, I would try changing out a couple springs first. V1 is achieved by swaping out the Firing Pin Block Spring (FPBS) and the Trigger Rebound Spring. That is the lightest LEM factory variant. I went for one that is a little heavier known as the Todd Green Special. You change out the FPBS and the hammer spring with the ones from the V3. It lightens the break of the trigger pull by a couple pounds and I found that helped me stay on target a lot better over the V2. It mostly comes down to training, though, and making sure you aren't giving a sympathy squeeze with your other 3 fingers on your left hand as you are building up to the weight of the trigger break.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also have a tendency to shoot low right with my P2000 LEM (lefty as well). Before using the time and money to send it to Gray Guns, I would try changing out a couple springs first. V1 is achieved by swaping out the Firing Pin Block Spring (FPBS) and the Trigger Rebound Spring. That is the lightest LEM factory variant. I went for one that is a little heavier known as the Todd Green Special. You change out the FPBS and the hammer spring with the ones from the V3. It lightens the break of the trigger pull by a couple pounds and I found that helped me stay on target a lot better over the V2. It mostly comes down to training, though, and making sure you aren't giving a sympathy squeeze with your other 3 fingers on your left hand as you are building up to the weight of the trigger break.
They say lefty's are the only people in their right mind. :) Funny you say that Chad - my buddy was with me as well and he also bought a P30 V2 LEM and did the Todd Green Special mod. I couldn't really feel a significant difference. Albeit.....I don't have alot of one-on-one time with the P30 yet. I'm sure it's a matter of preference but I would like a lighter pull with a good feel at/before break with nice feel/shorter reset - so perhaps the V1 would be a better move for me? I'm sure shooting my 3.5lb Glock trigger has me spoiled.

Any other great tips, info from the old birds would be great. ;)

E

1 - 14 of 14 Posts