HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I may very well deserve the rookie of the year award...new to HK, and new to the handgun sport in general. Just put down $80 to hold a P30 from my local range/dealer. I will get my permit and new firearm tomorrow. Since I am sooo new to this sport I would appreciate "first step" recommendations from the more experienced sportsers. Basically, I am purchasing this handgun for sport shooting, target practice, and personal protection. My plans also include participating in safety classes and eventually getting my concealed weapon license.

I would also like any information on ammo brand, reading material, and common sense tactics/practices.

Thank you in advance...

·
Registered
851 Posts
Welcome Dean! I would suggest you look into getting a few spare magazines. Look into holsters, especially since you are considering CCW.

There are a ton of practice ammo to choose from. I recommend Federal American Eagle, Fiocchi, Winchester White Box, Blazer Brass, Remington UMC, etc. For defensive purposes, look at Winchester Ranger's, Speer Gold Dots, Remington Golden Sabres, Corbon DPX.

Clean your gun of the packing grease that might be on the inside of the slide before your first range session. As you shoot more, the trigger will evetually become smoother as will the action of the slide and other moving parts. Enjoy the new gun and congrats on your permit! Most of all BE SAFE!

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Welcome aboard

The dreaded " black gun disease" is rampant here, so be warned! Excellent choice on the P30, sounds like you are on the right track with training, a NRA basic class is a great place to start them move up. Thee are a lot of good schools out there, some have more benefits than others. If you live anywhere that might be hosting one of HK Pros ( Tom, our fearless leader), classes, definatley go to it.

Learn all you can about the P30, become familiar with the manual, disassemble and clean it before heading to the range.

As for ammo, many may disagree, but I would recommend sticking with factory ammo, Winchester White Box ( Wal-Mart) Federal, CCI, just ask, defensive ammo, Cor-Bon, SXT, Hydra-shoks and more expensive, but you need to be familiar with how they feel when fired. I would recommend you stay away from gun store / gun show reloads, they can be over or in a worse case, underpowered, you don't want that.

There is a book called " in the gravest extreme" by Massad Ayoob, many don't care for him, but I think it is excellent reading, especially for someone in your position, gun shops or probably Amazon has it.

Most of all, be safe, have fun and if you have questions, do what you did here, jump on and ask, or PM.

Again, welcome

Bob

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
Find a nice Defensive shooting class and get into it. HKPRO even travels around and does some so watch for those too. That way you can meet some of the guys and gals from here. Ammo for practice just cheap stuff from Wal-Mart the cheaper the more you can practice. For Self defense I like Cor-Bon 115grain DPX for the 9mm.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, picked up my new friend yesterday and put 100 rounds through it. Since this is my first experience with a handgun, my accuracy was not too good. However, the P30 felt very comfortable, almost like an extension of my arm. With instruction and practice, I'm betting the accuracy will improve.

·
Registered
210 Posts
welcome

You made a fine choice purchasing the P30, you wont be disappointed.

Start saving money, this may be your first HK but I'm betting its not your last.
HK is truely a sickness, and many of us are infected. For years I've thought the HK P7 series was the most butt ugly weapon made, well I picked up my
P7M8 this morning and its now the best looking gun in my safe. Help!

Good luck.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Excellent selection. I highly recommend 9mm to first time shooters for many reasons, among those are the light recoil, variety of ammunition available, and the inherent accuracy (once you become familiar with shooting fundamentals). 9mm is a very fun weapon to shoot without really being scary, some larger calibers have more report (noise) and recoil thus making a new shooter's experience less than memorable. Practice is important to the safety of you and your family, also get your hands on a good cleaning kit, the Bore Snake works wonders fast for cleaning the barrel using a pull through system bore pre-cleaning, bore brush, and patch system. Recommendations for cleaning solutions run wild, but I like MPro 7, Hoppe's Elite, and MilComm 25 that are offered in spritz spray bottles, followed by lube with BreakFree CLP or if you can get it, the LP (lubrication/preservative) thicker formula.

I recommend the Speer Gold Dot 124 Grain +P (selected by NYPD) or the Winchester Law Enforcement Ranger 127 Grain +P+ for defensive purposes if you can get your hands on some. These rounds make the most of the 9mm and give it power that approaches that of the 40 caliber. Here is a site below with a broad selection and good prices. I have ordered from them several times.

www.ammunitiontogo.com

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well...I've been to the range twice now and my shot grouping has improved. I have watched several videos on grip and stance along with utilizing the sights and it has helped tremendously...I didn't realize how ignorant I was! My groupings tend to me low and to the left...I think it is due to my stance, breathing, and grip. I also believe it is due to my anticipation of the shot which makes me tend to shoot low. Any way, looking to go to the range with my sons again tomorrow. Purchased a Glock light/laser combo and looking forward to trying it out. Will be looking to take lessons once we get past the holidays.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts