HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First, hi! I just bought my first HK today (full sized USP .45). It was used but looked to be shot very little.

Second, I promiss I did a search for some of these questions before posting :)

1) When decocking the pistol, there seems to be two "stages" to the decocker lever travel. If I am pushing it quickly I don't notice it, but if I am gently pushing the lever, I definatly feel it. It goes down for the first bit real smooth, then gets a tad tight, then drops the hammer. Is this normal?

2) I noticed that in a couple of places on the frame just behind the dust cover, there is some metal visible that is not covered by the polymer. This is around the front frame rails, but inside the frame (just behind the dust cover infront of the "locking block"). I know that this is typical of Glocks and it doesn't look like wear caused this, just wanted to see if it was typical...

3) The sear axle was not flush on both sides when I took it apart (it was overhanging the detent plate a bit, maybe 1-2mm). It went back together without issue (i.e. it didn't interfere with the slide), but upon reading a bit more, I took it back apart and pushed it in a bit. There appears to be more room between the slide and the frame on the left side so I made it flush with the right side and now it just barely overhangs the dentent plate (0.5mm at most). I assume that as long as the slide goes back on without any issues, that it is fine, but again would like some feedback.

4) When I was cleaning the trigger bar, I noticed that it wiggled a bit side-to-side. Is this normal?

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
First, hi! I just bought my first HK today (full sized USP .45). It was used but looked to be shot very little.

Second, I promiss I did a search for some of these questions before posting :)

1) When decocking the pistol, there seems to be two "stages" to the decocker lever travel. If I am pushing it quickly I don't notice it, but if I am gently pushing the lever, I definatly feel it. It goes down for the first bit real smooth, then gets a tad tight, then drops the hammer. Is this normal?
Yes, it is normal.

2) I noticed that in a couple of places on the frame just behind the dust cover, there is some metal visible that is not covered by the polymer. This is around the front frame rails, but inside the frame (just behind the dust cover infront of the "locking block"). I know that this is typical of Glocks and it doesn't look like wear caused this, just wanted to see if it was typical...
Again, completely normal. And expect the plastic right in front and behind the tabs to break off with use. That is just excess flashing from the molding process and it departing is of no consequence and is completely normal also.

3) The sear axle was not flush on both sides when I took it apart (it was overhanging the detent plate a bit, maybe 1-2mm). It went back together without issue (i.e. it didn't interfere with the slide), but upon reading a bit more, I took it back apart and pushed it in a bit. There appears to be more room between the slide and the frame on the left side so I made it flush with the right side and now it just barely overhangs the dentent plate (0.5mm at most). I assume that as long as the slide goes back on without any issues, that it is fine, but again would like some feedback.
We're on a roll here, completely normal.

4) When I was cleaning the trigger bar, I noticed that it wiggled a bit side-to-side. Is this normal?
Let's make it unanimous. Completely normal. This is a combat pistol and some play is not only normal, but desirable.
You have the world's finest pistol so quit worrying and start shooting! ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Frist Hk

Big Bore,

My compliments to you! You are so knowledgeable and always graciously willing to help the new guy on the block. You are a great asset to this HK community

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yeah, he knows his stuff.

Welcome to the PRO family. The only dumb questions are the ones you didn't ask. While some sites have primadonnas who want to berate their members, this is one where I have rarely if ever seen this behavior. Ask away and we'll try to help the best we can. Many here own several HK weapons and others with which to offer comparision for specific tasks or issues, at least I know that I do.

You selected my most recent HK purchase, the USP 45, it's a top notch weapon and one I hope to get authorized to carry where I work soon. It's beyond smooth, accurate, has that 45 authority that's proven itself over the last 90-some odd years and oh yeah, it's an HK.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help and the welcome!

I am mostly paranoid when I make a new pistol purchase, especially when I try a new brand! Once I learn all the ins and outs of HKs I'll relax a bit, until then, I can tell I'll get all of the help I need right here!

Usually when I buy a used pistol, I swap out the recoil spring, but doing a quick search this morning saved me whatever that would have cost!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks for answering these questions... as a new owner myself I had similar questions about the inside of the polymer frame, looks like normal wear. :) Good to know!

-C

1 - 9 of 9 Posts