HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot my first IDPA match today, with my P30s LEM 9mm. The gun worked great, no malfunctions of any kind. The same can't be said for some of the other guns: one guys 1911 couldn't get through 20 shots without jamming terribly; an M&P jammed twice, and a Glock that failed to chamber a round with a magazine change. I kept telling myself to be slow, but its so hard to be slow when you are in the moment. Too bad I couldn't hit anything on a couple of the COFs (one target took me like 8 rounds to neutralize). I did terrible on a couple, but respectable on a few, and mediocre on the others. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to when I can attend another one. I also know what I need to practice on at my range sessions: target transitions and consistent double taps (after I can hit a damn plate at 10 yards consistently).

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
As long as you were safe and did not DQ you did fine. Take some notes on what you need to work on, and get after it. Also, work on what you hate doing; for me it's weak handed shooting at distance with a no shoot involved. The only way to get better is to practice those things. It still amazes me that after a few hours shooting at 20-40 yards, how big the targets look at 5-7 yards!

Good luck, and good on ya for getting out there!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I salute you for getting out there ME. It's my plan to use a P30L in IDPA competition too. I just got the P30L, and am waiting to get the holster and extra magazines needed. I have only done two IDPA-like competitions at our local club, but less formal. I've had weak results thus far using my 40 Expert. Fortunately, I am getting some coaching from a top competitor at the club. He has suggested some simple drills to improve performance. At his recommendation, I will also be getting a timer (to get used to the sound and reacting to it) and a firing pin activated laser light to enhance my practice.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Yes IDPA is always fun, watching most other pistol brands choke and HK's just keep trucking.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I shoot USPSA and sorry guys i shoot production with my Springfield Armory 5.25 Competition in 9mm but have my USP in my bag as a back up gun.
I would tell anybody that shoots to get in on one of these shoots, they are a blast and everyone is super nice!!!

KZ

·
Registered
132 Posts
I shoot both IPSC and IDPA and would caution you against practicing "double taps" you want to see your front sight before you pull the trigger on every shot. Focus on consistent split times between shots and try to get your split times between 2 targets the same as your split times on the same target. If you watch and listen to the best shooters you'll realize that it is impossible to discern if they are shooting at the same target or have made the transition to a new one. Welcome to the addiction and have fun!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I suck at double taps with my handguns. I've seen some videos on youtube of people doing matches but it seems like if you don't have a good place to practice a lot it's hard to get any better with that style of competition.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
As long as you were safe and did not DQ you did fine. Take some notes on what you need to work on, and get after it. Also, work on what you hate doing; for me it's weak handed shooting at distance with a no shoot involved. The only way to get better is to practice those things. It still amazes me that after a few hours shooting at 20-40 yards, how big the targets look at 5-7 yards!

Good luck, and good on ya for getting out there!
This. I think everyone's first match is a bit of a blur with all of the new tidbits (safety and procedures) to think about. You did great if you didn't have ay safety issues. Once you get a feel for things it's a lot easier to focus on performance. Good for you on getting out and giving it a try. Don't forget the most important part......have fun.

·
Registered
355 Posts
That's great. IDPA is a lot of fun. But I wouldn't blame the glock, magazine probably wasn't completely seated. Could even happen to an HK!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Good job!!! Keep it up and it will get better and better. I hae used my P30L 9mm for 2 years now in IDPA and have had no issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Good for you. Great weapon and I'm glad you're enjoying it. Not sure if you're looking for advice, but I'll offer a couple of un-solicited tips.

I shoot both IDPA and USPSA with a straight P30. I prefer the IDPA but enjoy the USPSA for the shear fun of blasting. Other than 6 bad primers in 4 years of reloading and a couple odd jams due to ....................duh, dunna know, my P30 has not let me down.

Get some snap caps and practice drawing and finding your front sight in your house, garage, back yard etc.
Long time ago when I thought I was gonna be the next motocross champ........Ha, that never happened, a guy who was older said............"Son, yer all over the place like a ping pong ball, ya gotta get smooth................then fast comes naturally". This holds true More so with handgun shooting...........I believe.

Watch the pros on You tube and concentrate on your grip and front sight. It'll all come along in time (and thousands of rounds).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts