HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started a thread a few days ago asking people to talk me out of the HK45C, in favor of the much more sensible, economical Walther PPQ. I ended up purchasing the 45C, and today I finally got to break it in at the range with 200 rounds.

Know what? I still wish someone had talked me out of the 45C. Not because it's not an amazing gun, but because it is an amazing gun. I figured I'd be satisfied putting two to three hundred rounds through it a week; right now all I want to do is put another two hundred through it tomorrow. And then probably the next day. It stayed comfortable to shoot from start to finish, and at 5 and 7 yards, I was shooting one big hole, provided I took my time between shots, and at 10, I was definitely happy with my groups. Not bad for someone who was shooting about a foot low due to flinching with a .45 a week ago.

I did have one failure to feed, but I suspect it was my fault; the last two magazines of every box of 50 were being shot as 8 + 1, since I'd have two rounds left over otherwise, and I think when I was re-inserting the magazine after topping it off after chambering a round, I didn't get it seated all the way home. But hey, at least I got to practice my first tap-rack-bang.

Overall? Love the gun. And I'll continue loving it as long as I can keep myself under 1000 rounds of .45 a month or so. Otherwise, I'm going to get yelled at quite a lot. Starting to think it might be worth it though.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
Which ammo do you buy so I can go buy some of their stocks. :wink:
I'm glad you're happy with the HK45c. See, we didn't lie to you. You just have to trust us. Now, you know that won't be your only HK, right?

·
Registered
783 Posts
congrats! you made the right decision. I remember your original thread. Absolutely worth getting yelled at for exceeding your 1k rounds a month limit! Post some pics of it for us. You got a great piece. I wish they were available in California, otherwise I'd have one by now I think.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Glad it worked out for you. If you're going to shoot that much, I would suggest you start reloading. It becomes another hobby, and you get to shoot more.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Congrat's no doubt a great decision. I have two and it has become my favorite HK. I still need to shoot one to get it dirty.:) As said it will not be your last HK...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Lovin mine...

Congrat's no doubt a great decision. I have two and it has become my favorite HK. I still need to shoot one to get it dirty.:) As said it will not be your last HK...
Most likely the best investment you've made, or will make, in pistol-buying.:wink:

Congratulaions!:biggrin:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad it worked out for you. If you're going to shoot that much, I would suggest you start reloading. It becomes another hobby, and you get to shoot more.
Yeah, I thought about reloading, but from what I can tell, it's not exactly a hobby with a small footprint, and turning one of our rooms into an ammo factory...well, that definitely wouldn't fly. Also not too sure I could stand all the, "I told you so!" I'd have coming my way, as her brother's a NSW guy who strongly recommended the 9, so of course she strongly recommended the 9. Maybe down the road, though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
LOL, I just saw your thread on TFL, and potential buyer's remorse. I'm just posting here since I thought it was funny, and I sort of understand how you feel.

I'd say save some money and get a PPQ later on...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ha! Glad somebody thinks it's funny, at least. :p As I said in that TFL thread, it's not so much remorse as it is...second-guessing, I suppose. Never having had the chance to actually shoot the PPQ, I was more than a little shocked at how much quicker and more accurate I was with it over the 45C. I'm not disappointed in the 45C at all, and I hope that with enough practice I'll get just as good, but, man...if I'd been able to shoot the PPQ before buying, the crazy quickness/accuracy and far, far cheaper ammo probably would have sold me on it over the 45C for a first gun. And I mean, heck, if 9mm's good enough for the SEALs, who am I to argue?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think much of what you're seeing is the pros/cons of different calibers. I'm pretty new to this too, but I knew that I wanted both the power and fun of shooting 45 and the economy and practicality of 9mm, so I got both the P30 and HK45. Win-win.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Ha! Glad somebody thinks it's funny, at least. :p As I said in that TFL thread, it's not so much remorse as it is...second-guessing, I suppose. Never having had the chance to actually shoot the PPQ, I was more than a little shocked at how much quicker and more accurate I was with it over the 45C. I'm not disappointed in the 45C at all, and I hope that with enough practice I'll get just as good, but, man...if I'd been able to shoot the PPQ before buying, the crazy quickness/accuracy and far, far cheaper ammo probably would have sold me on it over the 45C for a first gun. And I mean, heck, if 9mm's good enough for the SEALs, who am I to argue?
This is what I was saying in your Talk me out of...thread. The 45 is a great platform, but IMHO not a place to start if you are going to try and build from the ground up. The 22LR and the 9mm offer many more training advantages to the 45. I still stand by the statement that you should get a 9mm, either the P30, P2000, or the PPQ and get yourself a solid foundation to build upon. Keep the 45, and you'll enjoy it more once you take some classes, and or become a more proficient shooter.

Again, only my .02; good luck and keep at it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi; I'm also a first time HK45c user; 100 nice/reliable rounds so far; lovin-it! If I could get the DA pull a pound or two lighter; would be nice, the SA is nice, short reset. I'm considering a second Hk after being biten but the bug! I was thinking 9mm P2000/10rd for similar gripping and platform; or P30s (looking into possibility of removing only right side safety lever) I hope the trigger is close to the 45c or maybe I could make some small alterations or a somewhat lower cost trigger job. I also got to shot a s&w 1911 (4" brl.) the recoil was noticibley less on the 45c. with all the hipe on the PPQ; I still think I'll continue with my appreciation of HKs. John

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think much of what you're seeing is the pros/cons of different calibers. I'm pretty new to this too, but I knew that I wanted both the power and fun of shooting 45 and the economy and practicality of 9mm, so I got both the P30 and HK45. Win-win.
So jealous... That's what I want!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts