HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello im new to shooting and have only shot 22's a 12 gauge(dont remember any more specs) and both a glock with its compact comparible .40. I have contemplated on a usp but than felt the p30 and loved the grips and way it felt in my hand. I didnt like the glock even not having anything to compare it to so i really cant say a whole much about them. I like the idea of hammer and not striker fired and also love the idea of a safety besides a finger. I was just hoping i could have some advice as to which is a reliable purchase without a biasd opinion. I will be sticking with HK. Thanks for any input you can throw my way. Just also take into consideration im a beginner and my vocabulary if i say something might not be right so im sorry

·
Registered
539 Posts
I own a glock 23 and 27 and about 30 more pistols and I don't even shoot them anymore after buying my P30 in 40S&W it has became my fav I own 18 HK firearms and there is nothing out there that I compare to them. They are the best hands down

·
Registered
628 Posts
If you're looking for advice on which handgun to get it all depends on what you need and what you want. They're all great choices, but not all will be able to fill the same role.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. Did you buy it used or brand new. And if new i read sometimes there was ammo issues, do you recommened anything specific to use or stay away from

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wanted something i can shoot and not have to worry about problems. Something that cosmetically i like, and mechanically will work well. I looked at the 9mm amd .40 for the p30. It felt better in my hand compared to others that i was holding and asking about in the stores i went

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont need a tactical model with adjustable sights, but i also feel there is good and bad points to no safety. I am pretty sold on the p30 .40 i just wanted to hear others who have used and put enough rounds through it to know its quirks

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well I'm biased, but I'd get a 9mm. I don't really see the .40 as superior in any way other than it has more recoil and muzzle climb. If you're in the 9mm is too weak camp any meaningful power increase is only going to come in the form of a revolver OR desert eagle, coonan etc. The 9 has alot going for it, ammo is cheaper, it's NATO standard and the magazine capacity. Plus it's easier to shoot, and especially to LEARN to shoot well and even well at speed than .40 is. Just food for thought, alot of new gun owners get caught up in the caliber race, reality is anything that comes in a handgun is pretty sub par for killing two legged beasts. Barring big bore magnums, hence the revolvers. Of course this is just my opinion... Also, having bought and sold many handguns over the years at gun shows, and locally on classified and over the internet I have noticed that selling a 9mm is a hell ofa lot easier than selling a .40. Though some folks do love .40's they seem fewer and farther between than folks that love 9mm and .45 acp.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
You are having the time of your life. I didn't get involved with actually purchasing a firearm until I was in my 40s and I regret I waited. I have owned an inherited revolver since I was 16 but you know, one gun can never satisfy. Guns are addictive and HKs are in a class by themselves. You are so wise in considering an HK for your first purchase. My first was a Glock. I couldn't learn to shoot it well. My second was a USP 45 fullsize. I kept it quite a while and then bought a .40 compact. I didn't like the .40 due to the snappy recoil. That is my perception and others feel differently. I then went to the HK P2000, P7, P30 all in 9mm (there were many other guns and manufacturers along the way). The 9mm is fairly economical to practice with on a regular basis. I love the .45 the best but it's so expensive for me to actually shoot as much as I would like. You really owe it to yourself to go to a range and shoot the various calibers (HKs if possible). You can't go wrong with an HK. At first, I felt like you did about having a safety. Then during some training, having that extra step of keeping the safety off when presenting the firearm, I found I did better with the DA/SA and no safety engaged. Now I love the LEM on my HK45C. The P2000 and P30 are without the safety and I really like that. The older I get, the stupider I get so I keep it simple when possible. Depending on your handsize, the P2000 and the P30 are two of the most versatile and ergonomic handguns I have owned. My advice: shoot all calibers but stay with HK for your first ( and best) handgun. What a way to start out in firearm ownership! Other opinions will vary of course but wise decisions require seeking counsel from many sources. I forgot to ask, are you planning to carry concealed? That definitely impacts your decision and complicates things. A pistol for home defense/range use is easier to decide on, in my opinion. Too much information, I am sure, but I enjoyed writing down my thoughts. Thanks for posting and any decision you make will be a great one, no doubt. Get enrolled in a class and practice a lot.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Petey, the only safety you need is between your ears, so whatever pistol you purchase, take some lessons on gun safety and purchase some snap caps to do drills with. Practise makes perfect. Whether you choose SA/DA, or DAO, learn your trigger press and follow through and keep smiling

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No no concealed carry just in a safe thank you and i plan on as many classes as i can and range practice i can afford

1 - 11 of 11 Posts