HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shot the P30 yesterday. It's not my own, it belongs to a relative. To say the least I was very impressed with this gun. As everyone is saying the grips are second to none on this gun. I usually wear gloves when shooting and this gun virtually "locked" into my hand soild as a rock thanks to these grips. Very comfortable in the hand and the finger grooves are all in the right places. The sights are also very nice, easy to point a re-acquire. Also, after shooting I checked how bright the sights had gotten by just absorbing ambient lighting (i.e. not charging them on purpose) and the sights still glowed pleanty bright enough to pick up in the darkness, albeit the rear dots were brighter than the front. I love the fact that there is no expiration on these sights unlike the tritium equivalents.

The trigger is quite possibly the smoothest SA on any HK I have ever felt. The P30's trigger blows away the trigger on both my USPs, even the Combat Comp. I shot very tight groups at 8 yards with minimal effort. I was easily able to put groups in the head of the silhouette. Accurate rapid fire was not only obtainable but repeatable. However, my Glock 19 performed just as admirably so I don't think I will be purchasing my own P30, but still a much better fit, finish, and level of comfort on the P30 then the Glock. We didn't have a punch but the next step is to start experimenting with the different grip set-ups. We shot it in it's stock configuration which is medium backstrap and medium side panels and it sure felt fine to me.

In addition, this gun ate no less then 150rnds. (I wasn't counting, 350rnds. total amongst three 9mm pistols) without one malfunction of any kind, as is to be expected of any HK. Ammo was WWB and the pistol was cleaned prior to it's first outing. Disassembly was as simple if not more simple than a USP thanks to the attached slide release lever.

All in all a great gun and a huge step in the right direction for the evolution of HK pistols.

One more thing I would like to present to the forums. Has anyone noticed some slight wear on the followers of their magazines on the P30? I did notice a slight marring of the plastic follower in the mags in about the area that the bullet and the case meet. The plastic was a little "chewed" in a straight line in this location. However, this did not effect the guns function in any manner. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Now you need to go out and purchase one for yourself :).
As far as the plastic magazine followers mine have the same type of ware on them. Im pretty sure that it is normal as my other HK's that I have owned made the same marks.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping other P30 owners would say the same about the mag. wear.

I'm not sure if there is room for more 9mm pitols in my collection, I'm leaning towards a .45... possibly of the HK variety. ;)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping other P30 owners would say the same about the mag. wear.

I'm not sure if there is room for more 9mm pitols in my collection, I'm leaning towards a .45... possibly of the HK variety. ;)
Then call Marshall at CDNN and order your HK45 :D

·
Registered
823 Posts
I'd agree with everything, except not getting a P30 because you have a 19.
I have both, of course I won't be shooting the G19 as much going forward and it will probably replace it for carry after a couple more months.

The DA trigger pulls is also better on my specimen than any USP DA trigger
and as good as the Sig 228/226's I've had. I'm now Sigless because of the P30 and it feels real good.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
The DA trigger pulls is also better on my specimen than any USP DA trigger
and as good as the Sig 228/226's I've had. I'm now Sigless because of the P30 and it feels real good.
Same here. I sold my Sig P226 Elite and passed on a P229 as the P30 did everything so much better. It is more accurate, has less recoil, and is much more comfortable. That is saying alot because the Sigs are great handguns.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Sig are great. But unless you're getting a P239, the grips are large and even with a short trigger, the reach for the DA shot can be taxing for a typical size hand.
This is where the P30 excels. I prefer DA/SA when the ergos are this good.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Same here. I sold my Sig P226 Elite and passed on a P229 as the P30 did everything so much better. It is more accurate, has less recoil, and is much more comfortable. That is saying alot because the Sigs are great handguns.

He's correct. He sold his 226 elite to yours truly.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Great report! Sounds like the P30 is a super nice pistol...I want one is .40sw! :)

Mag followers on all my USP's (shooters) look like new, they usually get 500 rounds a month, I do apply a super thin film of oil over them to aid in feeding ammo.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kost-

As a USP owner myself I found this mag wear on the P30 to be strange as well. None of my USP mags have this wear on them either. This is mainly why I wanted the input of some other P30 owners to see if this was just normal.

I realized a short while ago that if one of us purchases the HK45 then between my uncle and I we will then have all the new H&K pistols released in 2007. :)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Mag Wear Pictures anybody?

I've notice wear on my USP mag followers, but I've always figured it was from the massive amount of loadings.

Can anybody take a picture?

·
Registered
46 Posts
You sold your P226 Elite?!

Overall, I DO think the P30 is the better pistol, but the SIG Elite SRT is a positive for the pistol/better than the P30 trigger.

Mag wear: My P30 mag followers also got this mag wear, and all of my SIG magazines got this too, one way to tell if the mags have been used, and something to look at when looking at a used pistol that is claimed to be unfired.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
You sold your P226 Elite?!

Overall, I DO think the P30 is the better pistol, but the SIG Elite SRT is a positive for the pistol/better than the P30 trigger.

Yeah. The Sig is a great gun but I needed to consolidate some of the collection. I agree that the SRT trigger is very nice and my only complaint with the P30 is that I would have liked it to have a slightly shorter reset like the Elite. For me, other then the shorter reset on the Sig the P30 does everything better which is why the Sig found a new home. Although I still wouldn't mind getting another in the future.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts