HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here use a flash hider? Was just wondering if they had a true function or just for show? They look kinda neat. Don't think I ever seen one on any other brand except for HK.

·
Registered
410 Posts
if you're talking of the one for the USP, got one because i do a lot of night ops. I thought it might get rid of flash without a suppressor. My POI seems to shift with it so i don't use it. It looks bad-ass though and adds a strange ringing sound to the gun. I wonder why the POI shifts. I haven't tried it at night BTW

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Those prong ones do have the annoying "tuning fork" sound. I have the same thing goin on with the AAC blackout on my AR.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Please tell me you are referring to the flash hiders on pistols like the SOCOM and Tactical series:
http://autoweapons.com/photos05/sep/hkmuzb.jpg

Given you put this under "HK Talk" rather than the Handgun or Long gun sub-sections and you don't specify a weapon platform, this is the ONLY inference I can make from your inquiry that doesn't make think you fell off the short bus.
Fell off the short bus? wow lol. In any case I didn't specify a weapon platform because I didn't want to limit the question to just one type. Only reason I asked is I see them in pictures from time to time (various platforms) and was wondering about them.

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
Fine, i'll be nice just this once.

Nearly every assault rifle or battle rifle fielded by a major army in the last 60 (give or take) years has a flash hider or flash hider/comp hybrid. We have the AR15, M14, FAL, G3...and every other HK select fire rifle, Steyr AUG, SCAR, ACR, M249, M240, and on and on. The most obvious exception being the Russians and the AK.

Yes, they can greatly reduce one's muzzle flash signature; here is one of many video comparisons on the matter:

Flash hiders and muzzle devices are big business. These are just a few aftermarket options floating around:
AR-15, M16, M4, Flash Hiders
Flash Hiders / Suppressor Adapters

You will note from the offerings above that true compensators and muzzle brakes (not "breaks") are becoming very popular. So much so that they are being used in areas they probably shouldn't and for reasons they shouldn't. Opinions vary on the matter, but that is mine.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Fell off the short bus? wow lol. In any case I didn't specify a weapon platform because I didn't want to limit the question to just one type. Only reason I asked is I see them in pictures from time to time (various platforms) and was wondering about them.
That was an awfully ****ish reply, dont worry about it.

They basically do just what they sound like, minimizing the flash signature that comes out of the front of the weapon, making it harder to spot at night, minimizing dust kick-up (some types) during the day, and keeping NVG-disrupting flash to a minimum.

In the case of the HK handgun type of flash hider, well...I dont know that any 'serious' special forces type of crew would use them. Mostly because they probably have access to sound suppressors which have the same effect plus the obvious added bonus of sound reduction.

I think the pistol flash hiders are a semi-functional device with some niche real world use, but for 99% of us are probably a novelty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts