HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey.

Been lurking for a bit and finally got activated.

Picked up a PTR91-GI in Jan '12 (SN 07xx range) and must say I am very happy. None of the earlier issues reported seem to apply.

I've run a little over 300 rds through it of various makes from mid 80s S&B to mid 80s delinked POF to Wolf, Bear (silver & brown), Tula and OEM US Hunting ammo (Fed, Rem, Win)

I've had ZERO malfs with it.

Even with Irons and an A3 Para stock on it I can consistently ring the 300m 12" gong from an unsupported knee and the 12" 200m gong offhand with crap ammo - and I've only had it 2 months.

I also just checked the bolt-spacing today (never thought to do so before) and it sits at .011 - while dirty from the last weekend's shooting :oops: (only 40rds tho...).

Anyway, being a new Roller Lock owner (but hating gas guns... carried a G3 for a bit in FRG though...) I thought I'd post my 2p on the new(er) PTR-GIs.

Love it and would buy another for burial if I had the $$.

Say hello to Erma, Teutonic goddess of War:

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Same here ironsights. People at the ranges i shoot at are blown away by how accurate these rifles are with iron sights. I here ya about smacking steel plates at 200yrds sitting,standing,kneeling or prone. I actually shoot my other JLD91k at 300 yrds at silouettes with irons from time to time,just to stay sharp. Glad you got a good GI model,shoot it for another year or so and put an HK locking piece and some +2 rollers and your gap will come up higher.Stay away from the russian/chicom steel casing crap, I knowe its cheap; but portugese,igman,prvi partisan,santa barbra,radway,hirtenberger,bvac 150gr remanufactured,s&b and 155gr tap all shoot more accurate and are WAY less dirtier. Russian stuff has very HARD primers,I just dont shoot it out of my 3 91 clones.Enjoy bro,congrats and nice shooting.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
This the next battle rifle for me after I get a 93 put together right.. going to A3 it and have the mini Eotech with 4 x tip off magnifier on a German claw

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This the next battle rifle for me after I get a 93 put together right.. going to A3 it and have the mini Eotech with 4 x tip off magnifier on a German claw
I like it. When I was stationed in Germany (mid '80s) and detached to my Bundeswehr counterparts, I was "issued" a G3 Para (it was the one affixed to the rear door of the FO track). I really loved that gun. Knew diddly-all about it, but could shoot it better than the FRG guys (they liked their SMGs).

Never really cared for the fixed stock and took it off my PTR as soon as it arrived.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Congrats on your rifle. I got one too. What do you have for a trigger? I had Bill Sprinfield do all of mine and they are amazing, and not expensive, he's at www.TriggerWork.net and he has a new buffer for your collapsable stock that is great too. I put a PWS brake on mine from HKParts and that combo is fun to shoot. I have a A2 stock we added a Kickeeze pad to with a MSG-90 heavy buffer and I did my whole 300 round break-in in one sitting yesterday. Hope you enjoy yours. Ken

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I had Bill do a trigger & update the A3 buffer too.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I like it. When I was stationed in Germany (mid '80s) and detached to my Bundeswehr counterparts, I was "issued" a G3 Para (it was the one affixed to the rear door of the FO track). I really loved that gun. Knew diddly-all about it, but could shoot it better than the FRG guys (they liked their SMGs).

Never really cared for the fixed stock and took it off my PTR as soon as it arrived.
My original HK91 is a factory A3 and has the claw, I love that gun but she has low mileage and is sleeping for the Zombie wars or an inheritance

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Did a little digging today trying to see why my Bolt Gap is only .011

I think it's the locking lug. I can actually see where the rollers have been impinging and can eyeball about .002 metal displacement (after about 300 rds).

When I get my HK lug in I will compare, but I'm thinking that alone, without jumping to +2, might bring me back up.

Y'all think?

BTW, my bolt head is a PTR casting (03-11). You think the locking lug is too? How would I tell?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I just dont trust the new U.S. hk bolt steel quality YET. Pick up an HK bolt head/FMp/EBO/rheinmetall, POf etc,.. What kind of Carrier do you have.Please tell me its NOT u.s. also.I love the united states,but I,m not so sure about these parts,YET.Sorry,I,m just very picky.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Couldn't tell you whether the carrier is or not. How would I tell?

Still, even if I do a full gut replace on this GI it will have been a cheaper buy for me than otherwise, and as long as it shoots well I can buy replacement parts piecemeal.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
This is the unfired jld91k w/wilson barrel I found last summer for $900,I couldn,t believe it was so cheap.Its loaded with HK parts,rheinmetall carrier & a POF bolt. I actually drove there. LOL It shoots amazing with Iron sights.I am addicted to these rifles.Thats a 5" shoot n c stick on at 100yrds off my elbows w/iron sights,not a sandbag rest.I was making the scoped shooters alittle nervous. LOL

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Couldn't tell you whether the carrier is or not. How would I tell?

Still, even if I do a full gut replace on this GI it will have been a cheaper buy for me than otherwise, and as long as it shoots well I can buy replacement parts piecemeal.
If you need some parts or help, let me know bro. This is what we love.I just want you to have a good weapon ,that runs right.We are in this together.LOL this world be crazy.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wilco. AFAIK I'm only the 2nd x91 owner within a 20mi radius. Might get one more soon, but the other has a monkey-welded CETME... which is why I went the PTR route.

But I'll get my armorer's manual soon, and need to buy a "survival pack" from RTG anyway, so I'm sure I'll be collecting parts soon enough.

Someday I'd like to bend my own flat(s) and do 2 ground-up Receiver builds (one in .358 Win & 1 in .243) but that's a long way down the pike.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wen I buy a plane I'll be sure to let you know. :wink:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I could tell a difference, but to me the 91 recoil is mild anyway. I just did it to get what extra out of it I could while I had the trigger pack gone anyway.

Compared to my Savage 99, the '91 hardly kicks at all, so a 30% reduction of very little is pretty small :biggrin:...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update:

Just got in my +2 rollers and NIB HK locking piece.

The locking piece alone only brought me to .012.

With the +2 rollers and the new Locking piece I'm at .018. We'll see how it holds. Trunion looks fine. I wish I had known enough to check the gap NIB.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks for the update Ironsights, I've got 2-locking pieces and 2-set of +2 rollers coming. Hey I put one of the PWS muzzle brake/flash hiders on my G.I. and shot it side by side with my 91 with the old style PTR brake and WOW what a difference. Adam was right, it's worth the money. It got it to where my itty bitty wife could shoot it now as long as she did'nt have to carry it far. Ken

·
Registered
204 Posts
Oh, I checked my HK-91 and my G.I. (that is just barely broken in) and they are both .013 Is that fine or should I change rollers and loosen it up. Does running at .016 or .017 make them run any better or longer between cleanings possible in a SHTF deal or not? Ken

1 - 20 of 25 Posts