HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

Is there any good tricks to installing a new folding stock axle pin? I have a recent SL8 mod that was built without the rear stock (had a 243 folding stock on backorder for a few months) and I just got my new butt stock in, but I"m not sure if I"m just supposed to lightly tap the axle pin in from the top with a rubber mallet or if I need to slightly compress one end of the axle pin with pliers to create a bevel to get it started in the top hole. I just don't want to risk buggering up the receiver by tapping a pin in if there's more prep work to it. Maybe I'm over thinking this.

·
HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
1,075 Posts
Do you have a new or used axle pin? Of course a used one seems to go in easy; a new pin will need one end squeezed together just a tad. I'm cheap when it comes to the necessary/proper roll pin punch and looked around the man cave for something that would work just the same. Then spotted an unused section of cleaning rod from one of my Colt M4 SBRs. The cleaning rod is exactly the same diameter as the receiver/stock axle pivot holes; you couldn't get a better fit. So I filed off the threads from the male end which left about a 1/2 inch dowel end that fits perfectly inside the pivot pin. Had a 5/32 pin punch and decided that if I drill out the opposite end of the rod threads (female end), the 5/32 punch will fit perfectly and make for a good hammer strike end. I'm sure other folks here have come up with some other innovative ways to install/remove a SL8/G36 axle pin, hope they can share their method/tooling here.

IMG_4635.JPG IMG_4632.JPG IMG_4636.JPG IMG_4641.JPG

·
Registered
154 Posts
Great tip and photos, thank you for sharing! I'm in the process of collecting conversion parts too. I just got the rear stub from GSC and a C stock from a member here; Now I need a axle pin.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Best suggestion I ever saw was using a C clamp or vice to press the pin in place. Using a roll pin punch or similar sized regular punch the old pin can be driven out also using the press method. Swinging hammers and striking a pin leaves a bit more room for damage than the press alternative.

·
Banned
2,011 Posts
Best suggestion I ever saw was using a C clamp or vice to press the pin in place. Using a roll pin punch or similar sized regular punch the old pin can be driven out also using the press method. Swinging hammers and striking a pin leaves a bit more room for damage than the press alternative.

^^ Great Advise!! I hate tearing up the pins.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
The correct size roll pin punch and a hammer is all you need. Don't be afraid of damaging the rear end of a conversion by using the roll pin punch and hammer, I've changed out many stocks on mine and never had an issue. Even the conversions are beefy firearms. I never had to crimp the ends of a new pin either.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Take off all rails or optics. Flip the rifle onto its back and slide it out to the edge of your work bench. Squirt a bit of WD40 or any other oil in the pivot holes. Find the right sized punch and use a hammer to bang out the pin. As with any thing else in life. Lube makes all the difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts