HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what HK recommends? Can't seem to find a good answer after Google, searching on this forum, manual search. Some use just CLP, some use white lithium grease, some use mobile one synthetic etc. My question is what is the upside to lithium grease and other products and what are the downsides? Will either hurt the polymer in the long run? Grease stays longer on say the rails, but is oil a better overall lubricant? I'm gearing this question to the guys here that have put thousands of rounds through their HK guns.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I use both.....................I like to use white grease on the rail points because it stays there, and doesn't run off as much as oil. Everywhere else, I use oil. Rem Oil lately................have been known to use sewing oil on occasion.

G

·
HK doesn't recommend a specific brand, but CLP or grease will not hurt HK polymer. Just use something that's economical and doesn't clump up or foul from excessive shooting. I use Boeshield T-9 as spray oil that is a waterproof lubrication that stay on. For grease, Lubriplate 130-A, which is $.62 an ounce. Stuff like FireClean or Mil-Comm is overrated and overly expensive. As much as $7.48 to $10.63 per ounce. I shoot about 20,000 rounds per year in full and semi.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Try both. Asking firearms enthusiasts about grease/oil is like asking economists about economic policy. Where I need lube to stay, I use a light grease. You'll know you've used too heavy a grease when your pistol slows down. I find a pistol will slow down a lot when I use a grease which is really thin at 80F, and use it on an outdoor range at 25F. I used to use oil for rust prevention, but I mostly use LPS3 for that now, and it's a wax, and definitely not a lubricant.

·
Registered
589 Posts
If you clean the gun regularly after a few hundred rounds, I'd stick to a good oil. There's no need for grease with regular cleaning, and that includes the slide rail, as they collect a significant amount of carbon.
The one experience I witnessed was at a competition; another shooter's Glock gave out on him, and the reason turned out to be that the grooves were so gunked up with residue, the slide couldn't move the whole way. He hadn't cleaned the inside of the slide in many thousands of rounds, it turned out. Rather extreme, but that's the end game of toooo long between cleanings.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Archoil extreme duty on rails of all my firearms, oil also Archoil exclusively. Also use mPro-7 oil and mpro7 boregel.
For greasing Archoil before anyrange session I apply the grease to the barrel, top of the barrel, internals, no wear patterns have evolved at all.
Good stuff. Also use Archoil for all my storing needs, wipe downs, etcetc. It's that good.

New formula done in a week or the most two. Suspended, no shaking needed. Swear byArchoil. Reliability improved.
Wife's P227 uses only Archoil,its our go to HD arm. I think its 8300 grease. Very good stuff.

Been using Archoil on my AK, no wear on bolt carrier / piston to date.

This is my opinion. I trust my family's life to it, that in itself says a lot.

No gumming, hardening, at all ! Stays softandwontevaporate.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Grease collects too much particulate; it is light oil for my firearms. Used a lot of different brands over the years and have not found much difference. Cleaning is more important as in most mechanical devices than what brand of lubrication.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies. What are your thoughts on grease on the barre hood and barrel? Would that prevent wear and 'paint chipping' such as that of the member with the mark 23 of said issue, rare albeit I'm sure.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I use Ballistol on all my handguns.
It's non-toxic and easy on plastic, rubber, me...
Shot over 1K rounds in about 90 minutes with my NIB SP5K :biggrin:

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Thanks for the replies. What are your thoughts on grease on the barre hood and barrel? Would that prevent wear and 'paint chipping' such as that of the member with the mark 23 of said issue, rare albeit I'm sure.
Yes . I wipe down all those surfaces with Weapon shield grease .

·
Registered
377 Posts
Over many years of trying everything under the sun my two favorite two are Weaponshield and Brian Enos slide glide. Thr slide glide on the hood of slide prevents wear. I use it on the barrel, slide hood - basically use a glove and wipe a thin film on. Weaponshield grease or oil on everything else.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Golly, there are so many products out there. From my limited experience most work reasonably well. Take your pick and keep your HK clean and properly lubed. Don't obsess about the products. I don't use grease on HKs as it is unnecessary in my opinion. I only use grease on the old pistols like my Luger P.08s and my Russian TT33. They like grease.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Archoil extreme duty on rails of all my firearms, oil also Archoil exclusively. Also use mPro-7 oil and mpro7 boregel.
For greasing Archoil before anyrange session I apply the grease to the barrel, top of the barrel, internals, no wear patterns have evolved at all.
Good stuff. Also use Archoil for all my storing needs, wipe downs, etcetc. It's that good.

New formula done in a week or the most two. Suspended, no shaking needed. Swear byArchoil. Reliability improved.
Wife's P227 uses only Archoil,its our go to HD arm. I think its 8300 grease. Very good stuff.

Been using Archoil on my AK, no wear on bolt carrier / piston to date.

This is my opinion. I trust my family's life to it, that in itself says a lot.

No gumming, hardening, at all ! Stays softandwontevaporate.
I use archoil as well ! The AR4200 and new AR4400 are fantastic. I use AR8300 severe duty grease on my rails and where the trigger bar contacts the firing pin safety on my VP9 . If anyone wants a free sample of the CLP for their HK please PM me and I will send it . They are a great sponsor and have an awesome product .

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Light FireClean and just a light bit of grease on the trigger components that make contact. Not much though. It is best to read your manual cover to cover. HKs are a bit different and do not need to be wet.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts