HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those who've owned both the USPc and P2000 or P30...

I use a fairly aggressive thumbs forward grip. One of the things that the P2000 has always presented to me was a perceived lack of real-estate for a good purchase by the support hand. I haven't spent a fair amount of time shooting the P30, but I've notice the same thing with the P30 while shooting/dry-firing them.

If you've owned a P2000 or P30 and USPc 9/40 (I don't care for comments about HK45c vs USPc or whatever irrelevant combinations some people will think up, since that's not what I'm shooting), have you noticed more room for the support hand to get a purchase on the pistol itself as opposed to your fingers?

Thanks!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Hey TGS, I have medium-sized hands, run the large grip panels all around on my P30, and also use an aggressive thumbs forward grip. It feels rock solid and gives me plenty of "gap" to fill with the palm of my support hand. I don't have any experience with a P2000, just the sk.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey TGS, I have medium-sized hands, run the large grip panels all around on my P30, and also use an aggressive thumbs forward grip. It feels rock solid and gives me plenty of "gap" to fill with the palm of my support hand. I don't have any experience with a P2000, just the sk.
I was thinking that the large panels might create some extra space by making a larger diameter for your stronghand to wrap around, thus freeing up some space on the opposite side....however I haven't had a chance to play with the large side panels. My buddy doesn't have those on it....I'll have to ask him to let me play around with the panels.

Thanks!

·
Registered
890 Posts
I didn't think that I would like larges all around at first, but they are perfect for me. You may find what you're looking for with the added surface area provided by that combo. Sorry I couldn't compare to P2000 as I have not even held one (LGS never has them), but for what it's worth I absolutely had to put the large back strap on my sk to make it not feel like a toy (after coming from all larges on my P30).

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't think that I would like larges all around at first, but they are perfect for me. You may find what you're looking for with the added surface area provided by that combo. Sorry I couldn't compare to P2000 as I have not even held one (LGS never has them), but for what it's worth I absolutely had to put the large back strap on my sk to make it not feel like a toy (after coming from all larges on my P30).
I ran the large back strap for the first 1200 rounds or so, as it felt right. Switching to medium made an immediate, noticeable improvement in trigger control even though the grip feels too small as I've noted.....in addition, I found the apex of the large back strap to be too pointy, which caused discomfort as it created a pressure point in my firing hand.

Thanks for your input, Bear.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
just compared my P30 vs USPc9. seems about the same ( I have the small panels on the P30 right now). on my support hand my thumb is over/ on my strong hand thumb, both pointing forward.

·
Registered
410 Posts
your thumbs forward grip is the way to go. with the p2000, i try to put my shooting hand thumb farther forward and thus my three fingers under the trigger guard wouldn't take too much space in the left side of the grip. i hold my shooting hand thumb high and the extra space created is where i put the meaty thumb part of my left palm and apply a left to right pressure with it at the same time tightening my fingers. My shooting hand will apply forward to back pressure with fingers. i cam my support hand forward just far enough for the thumb to clear the slide and lock my wrist, but i also found that too far forward causes slippage. A large backstrap might help create this space in the left grip, not needed in my case though. you'll notice an roughly equal amount of pressure 360 deg. around the grip and the sight return will be very consistent with this setup. Brian Enos invented this in a hotel room after a very bad steel challenge start, and i think it's the best out there, pure genius.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
your thumbs forward grip is the way to go. with the p2000, i try to put my shooting hand thumb farther forward and thus my three fingers under the trigger guard wouldn't take too much space in the left side of the grip. i hold my shooting hand thumb high and the extra space created is where i put the meaty thumb part of my left palm and apply a left to right pressure with it at the same time tightening my fingers. My shooting hand will apply forward to back pressure with fingers. i cam my support hand forward just far enough for the thumb to clear the slide and lock my wrist, but i also found that too far forward causes slippage. A large backstrap might help create this space in the left grip, not needed in my case though. you'll notice an roughly equal amount of pressure 360 deg. around the grip and the sight return will be very consistent with this setup. Brian Enos invented this in a hotel room after a very bad steel challenge start, and i think it's the best out there, pure genius.
As I wrote above, the large back strap is a no-go.

I also move my firing hand thumb to create more space for my support hand...the only difference is that I place it over the thumb joint of my support hand instead of placing it high. My support hand thumb is far forward, actually forward of the ejection port and resting without pressure alongside the slide. It's a textbook thumbs forward grip....what I think should actually be referred to as a "pinky down" grip, as anyone can place their thumbs facing forward and still have an incorrect thumbs forward grip. I have found the defining factor of a proper thumbs forward grip to be the wrist lock (as you've noted), which is better illustrated by noting that the support hand pinky will be pointing almost straight down if extended.

Ya, we're on the same page with regards to the grip. I'm just checking out if there's a better hardware match for myself, as I've put due effort into this gun (and have been relatively pleased) over the last 17,000 rounds since Feb 2010, along with several courses from Todd Green, SouthNarc and John Murphy (a popular Virginia area trainer for people getting started who want better than retarded NRA courses). Asking this same question over on P-F.com has yielded people with similar experiences to mine, as well.

Thanks, bro. Hope all is well in the valley.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own all three models in question but am only a recreational shooter so I'm not the best judge. That being said, I like the "feel" of the 2000 the best. I have gorilla hands FWIW.

Jeff-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts