HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my next HK gun im looking to do is a UMP. Thing is I am torn on which way to go. Personally, I would prefer to get an Omega receiver and put a HK demilled parts kit in it. My only issue with this is, can i sent the factory 45 barrel to get threaded vs having that weird front thing they have? or is that going to be a problem?

The other option is just get the Omega pistol. Either way I will be SBR'ing it. A plus to the Omega is the barrel looks to be threaded, and/or has a tri lug adaptor. either way works.

Has anyone done either of these ways, how did you like it?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have not dealt with any of the Omega receivers, however I did have ADCO cut and thread the original 16" USC HK Barrel to 7" for $75 plus shipping. ADCO does fantastic work and it was about a one week turnaround.

I personally would stick to HK (best) or HDPS barrels.

Also, in my opinion a 7" barrel looks a lot better than the 7.87" barrels, despite 7.87" being the official length. 7.87" barrels don't look right without the HK mounting donut, and whatever muzzle device you install ends up sticking out much further with the longer barrel.

Just chiming in so you are aware of your options, and hopefully save you some hassle in the future.

Edit: Also my HDPS barrel would refuse to feed the top round of any fully loaded magazine, so I would have to "down load" to 24 rounds. With the USC barrel (that has the little ramp), fully loaded rounds feed no problem.

·
Premium Member
3,138 Posts
The gsg9 45 barrels have a proprietary 3-lug pattern. Just know that you'll have to buy their mount for plug and play.

If you want a 45, omega receiver is a great option. I'd skip the parts kit, and buy USC and UMP parts a la carte (not always easy).

Also, TommyBuilt is supposed to be releasing a UMP clone receiver shortly.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not dealt with any of the Omega receivers, however I did have ADCO cut and thread the original 16" USC HK Barrel to 7" for $75 plus shipping. ADCO does fantastic work and it was about a one week turnaround.

Also, in my opinion a 7" barrel looks a lot better than the 7.87" barrels, despite 7.87" being the official length. 7.87" barrels don't look right without the HK mounting donut, and whatever muzzle device you install ends up sticking out much further with the longer barrel.

Just chiming in so you are aware of your options, and hopefully save you some hassle in the future.

Edit: Also my HDPS barrel would refuse to feed the top round of any fully loaded magazine, so I would have to "down load" to 24 rounds. With the USC barrel (that has the little ramp), fully loaded rounds feed no problem.
Do you know if it would be possible for ADCO to "cut down" that ridge on the HK barrel if i have them threat it as well?

Ive also heard that the HDPS barrels can be real hit and miss.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
The gsg9 45 barrels have a proprietary 3-lug pattern. Just know that you'll have to buy their mount for plug and play.

If you want a 45, omega receiver is a great option. I'd skip the parts kit, and buy USC and UMP parts a la carte (not always easy).

If TommyBuilt is doing a UMP clone receiver, and it is coming in short order; I'd wait and see what Tommy turns out. He is top shelf......

·
Registered
185 Posts

I would imagine it’s derived from the Omega molds like the KSMs.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Atlantic has the tommy built guns in stock(at least some of them) and the receiver still has the omega logo on it but is marked with Tom's info. Personally I'd go with the tommy built one over the omega due to their(omega) stupid model name. At the end of the day if there is an issue I'd rather deal with tom as well.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Tom has modified the omega receivers for KSMs, at least in 9mm. My understanding is that it will be his receiver to his spec
I think the KSMs were an OEM'ed receiver as well. Given the costs of molds I wouldn't imagine making new ones from scratch would be economical.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I plan on going the 45 route. My biggest thing is I want the barrel threaded for a suppressor. I know the HDPS has that available but at the same time it seems it would be "easier" to go the demilled route....minus the fact the factor barrel isnt threaded. I guess I will email ADCO and see if milling that ridge off and threading would be an option.

What parts does Omega use for their pistol version? Seems like $1800 would be hard to beat for a complete gun vs their receiver at $725 and a demilled kit around $1500, then $100 to get the barrel milled.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Tom’s KSM will not be made from the Omega mold. It will be a new mold from the ground up.
The atlantic photos showed the omega symbol above the made in the usa on the tommy built guns.

Now it wouldn't surprise me if Todd Bailey made a new updated set of molds for Tom. In the end though Both Wade and Tom are going to be getting a lot of stuff from Todd.

Are you sure whoever is doing the injection molding isn't just doing it for both of them(if its like the t36 choate is doing it but I don't know if either Wade or Tom's ump receivers are marked with their info).

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
The atlantic photos showed the omega symbol above the made in the usa on the tommy built guns.

Now it wouldn't surprise me if Todd Bailey made a new updated set of molds for Tom. In the end though Both Wade and Tom are going to be getting a lot of stuff from Todd.

Are you sure whoever is doing the injection molding isn't just doing it for both of them(if its like the t36 choate is doing it but I don't know if either Wade or Tom's ump receivers are marked with their info).
That Atlantic gun isn’t one of the new ones Tom will be releasing.

Todd isn’t the mold maker.

Choate doing the injection molding? What is your point? Choate has a seriously expensive machine. A mold gets placed inside. Out comes magic. The early T36 also had Choate because the marking variance was not approved at the time of the run.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Any speculative conversation about the origins of tooling/molds is a bit strange given the facts that are known. I suggest that it would be an implausible theory where company "a", already having an established partnership, product development and design cycle, and supply infrastructure with company "b" decides that, for no known reason (no history of failure, parts interchangeability, design issues, supply issues, ETC) would decide to randomly forgo that relationship and invest heavily into what would effectively be redundant tooling. The market is already supplied product... the product is perfectly functional... and Tommy influenced the design of the original product. What we do know, from history, is that TB has a tendancy to change things up, frequently which is why his recievers have been used in literally dozens of companies final product.

People need to let go of the TB history debates and defensiveness that ultimate degenerate and redirect almost every conversation that occurs about clones. TB invested in tooling, and drew upon resources that had experience... aligned himself with those resources to create a supply chain, and that alliance delivered some pretty neat stuff more approachable for people that would have not previously been able to afford them.

IS Wade working with his brother? Is Tommy going to remake tooling from the ground up to fill a void in the market that doesn't exist? Who cares? Do you want the product? Does it have an associated with a builder, or supplier, or vendor that you trust and beleive will stand behind it? THAT is what is important.

Wade has been responsive, helpful and has an established track record for standing behind his product
Atlantic does as well
Tommybuilt does as well

My personal opinion, to the OP, would be to choose what you want to choose... for ME, I would save the money, buy an Omega receiver, ala carte the internals, probably use as much HK as I could find/afford in the process and enjoy the weapon at the range, using the money I saved to buy some ammo.

Nothing personal to those who are invested in further tooling and origins story debates...I'm just an old guy, now...and I have been watching these debates unfold for, crap, almost 15 years now

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Any speculative conversation about the origins of tooling/molds is a bit strange given the facts that are known. I suggest that it would be an implausible theory where company "a", already having an established partnership, product development and design cycle, and supply infrastructure with company "b" decides that, for no known reason (no history of failure, parts interchangeability, design issues, supply issues, ETC) would decide to randomly forgo that relationship and invest heavily into what would effectively be redundant tooling. The market is already supplied product... the product is perfectly functional... and Tommy influenced the design of the original product. What we do know, from history, is that TB has a tendancy to change things up, frequently which is why his recievers have been used in literally dozens of companies final product.

People need to let go of the TB history debates and defensiveness that ultimate degenerate and redirect almost every conversation that occurs about clones. TB invested in tooling, and drew upon resources that had experience... aligned himself with those resources to create a supply chain, and that alliance delivered some pretty neat stuff more approachable for people that would have not previously been able to afford them.

IS Wade working with his brother? Is Tommy going to remake tooling from the ground up to fill a void in the market that doesn't exist? Who cares? Do you want the product? Does it have an associated with a builder, or supplier, or vendor that you trust and beleive will stand behind it? THAT is what is important.

Wade has been responsive, helpful and has an established track record for standing behind his product
Atlantic does as well
Tommybuilt does as well

My personal opinion, to the OP, would be to choose what you want to choose... for ME, I would save the money, buy an Omega receiver, ala carte the internals, probably use as much HK as I could find/afford in the process and enjoy the weapon at the range, using the money I saved to buy some ammo.

Nothing personal to those who are invested in further tooling and origins story debates...I'm just an old guy, now...and I have been watching these debates unfold for, crap, almost 15 years now
For what it is worth, my answers are not speculation. I agree with your points.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I also agree that competition in the industry is good... so I hope other people DO make tooling because the ultimate end product will probably benefit me at the range...hAHAHAHA

·
Premium Member
3,138 Posts
Where did we learn that there are a new series of KSM guns that will have a different (new mold) receiver?
I don't think that's what we learned. My understanding is that he KSMs are exclusive to Atlantic, and built by TBT. I also understand that mods are made to the GS receiver, particularly to function reliably as a 9mm.

Tom Bostic has said he is coming out with a receiver. Whether those are used on future KSM guns is speculation, but a reasonable assumption IMO

·
Registered
58 Posts

I sent my USC barrel ADCO after my stamp came back and they did a phenomenal job.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts