HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey iam new to the NFA thing. whats involved in SBR'ing my K-gun clone? my gun has a 3 lug under the fake supp. my local guy says it will cost $200 for the lic. plus he is charging $100 to do the paperwork. is that right?

the gun is an SW5 in 9mm.
<-------

·
Registered
329 Posts
$100 for paperwork sounds a bit asinine to me. To be honest I would file a form 1 and cut the fake can off myself and cut out the middle man. Either way you will be paying $200 for a tax stamp, it is not a license, and you must pay $200 for every NFA weapon you wish to make/purchase/etc.

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
Sounds right to me. Form 4 transfer tax to ATF is $200 and my dealer charges $100 to process + he had to hold my Mp5K, for me, that transfered to him while the Form 4 was processed.

·
Registered
255 Posts
<.....> Either way you will be paying $200 for a tax stamp, it is not a license, and you must pay $200 for every NFA weapon you wish to make/purchase/etc.
just be clear that transfer of NFA firearms falling under "Any Other Weapon"
category are transfered at $5 per firearm on a Form 4.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I still think that if he has the tools (which isn't much, a dremil should work) to do it himself. Not only would he save the $100 but he won't have to wait for 2 seperate ATF forms to be processed.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I still think that if he has the tools (which isn't much, a dremil should work) to do it himself. Not only would he save the $100 but he won't have to wait for 2 seperate ATF forms to be processed.
my point:

I can find a local C2 who is more reasonable. Form 4 it to
them ($5). C2 makes to SBR ($0). C2 Form 4s it back to me
($5). I would have negotiated a more reasonable fee of...
say $100. (in my case, I have a C2 buddy whom I barter with,
eg I helped babysit one night.) Total cost $10....plus labor.

in other words, shop around. be creative. negotiate.

·
Registered
329 Posts
my point:

I can find a local C2 who is more reasonable. Form 4 it to
them ($5). C2 makes to SBR ($0). C2 Form 4s it back to me
($5). I would have negotiated a more reasonable fee of...
say $100. (in my case, I have a C2 buddy whom I barter with,
eg I helped babysit one night.) Total cost $10....plus labor.

in other words, shop around. be creative. negotiate.
True I haven't thought of that.

·
Registered
632 Posts
If you want to make that into a SBR, it will still cost you 200 bucks tax, either to build it on a form 1, or to transfer it on a Form 4

The 5 dollars is only on a AOW transfer (forward grip, no stock)

Here is what you need to do to build it as a SBR,

fill out the following forms, all these forms you can get from the ATF http://www.atf.gov/dcof/

2 ea, F 1 (5320.1) - Application to Make and Register a Firearm

2 ea, FBI FD-258LE - NFA, Imports ORI WVATF0100, these are the fingerprint cards, Local PD can fingerprint you

2ea. F 5330.20 - Certificate of Compliance With 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(B), this is the US citizen form, you are attesting to that you are a US citizen

Then take a passport size photo of yourself, frontal view, 2inch x 2inch, affix it to the form 1s

Have your local Chief Local Enforcement Officer, ie. Chief of Police, Sheriff, sign the form 1s, mail it all off to the NFA branch in Wv, along with 200 dollars. When the approved form 1 comes back, usually in about 30 days, take the fake suppresor off.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you guys think $100 bucks is bad for a transfer, my dealer charges me $200for all of mine.
I've tried looking for someone else, but found someone who wanted $50 bucks more on top of that. I did find one guy thru a range buddy that only charges $50, but he's a bit of a drive away and from what I hear, constantly needs motivation to get moving.
The only good thing I can say about my guy is that he lives very close and doesn't take his sweet a#$ time getting it done.

·
Registered
255 Posts
If you want to make that into a SBR, it will still cost you 200 bucks tax, either to build it on a form 1, or to transfer it on a Form 4<....>
:39:

argh.... mixed up my thoughts, thx. i meant only to refer
to AOWs and got mixed up with orig request. my bad. yes, only
AOWs are $5. all other transfers are $200 so the SBR angle wont
apply using my above example.

going for dbl shot latte now. i think i need it this morning....

·
Registered
100 Posts
...SBR'ing my K-gun clone?
You already own this SW5, correct? So, the easiest method is to do a Form 1 to make a SBR. Form 4 is to transfer an already existing SBR to you from someone else. You don't need your local NFA dealer to do this, especially if he's gonna charge you $100 for the paperwork. Download the Form 1 and do it yourself. Use the $100 on ammo.

Creating a SBR requires a $200 tax stamp, while creating an AOW requires a $5 tax stamp. That SW5 without the stock but with the vertical foregrip is an AOW. If you want to keep the stock, then you should make it a SBR.

Make sure your local CLEO will sign off on NFA Forms, otherwise you'll need to use the trust/corporation method. Good luck!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Creating a SBR requires a $200 tax stamp, while creating an AOW requires a $5 tax stamp.
This in incorrect. An AOW can be TRANSFERRED on a $5 stamp in the same way you transfer any other NFA item. If you're not transferring it, and instead are making it, it's $200 just like any other Form 1'd item. Class II manufacturers are the only ones that can make AOW's for free and only require the $5 transfer, individuals it's $200.

·
Registered
329 Posts
This might be a good read if you're thinking about Form 1'ing it and doing your own work.

http://www.ar15.com/lite/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

Search for "Remove your permanently attached muzzle device" as it's an archived form and the links don't work.

They may be pinned on differently due to the 3 lug adapter but that should be the general idea. If anyone wants to correct me or add to that feel free as I'm unfamiliar if it is any different with the 3 lug adapater.

·
1,198 Posts
Let's get this straight:

Without an SOT, we civilians can "make" any NFA item except a new machinegun by getting an approved Form 1 and paying a $200 tax stamp.

Once made, all NFA items, including only transferable machineguns, are transfered to or from non-SOT holders via a Form 4, and a transfer tax stamp. Transfer Tax stamps are all $200 except for AOWs which is only $5.

So... back to the original question. I agree with everyone else. Fill out the Form 1 in duplicate yourself. Get some 2x2 passport photos and afix them to the Forms. Be sure the Form 1's are double sided (Page 1 on one side, page 2 on the other side). Take the forms to a Chief Law Enforcement Officer for his signature... Some will refuse to sign. Keep looking until you find one who will (If none do, you can opt to go the corporate or trust route).

You will also need to sets of fingerprint cards. You must get these from the ATF, you cannot download them. Have them filled out by any law enforcement agency.

Fill out a Certification of Citizenship.

Mail that entire package plus a $200 check to the West Virginia NFA office and wait about 5-7 weeks.

When the approved form 1 comes back, you can take off the fake suppressor. You can do it yourself, or you can have someone else do it for you.

The dealer charging you $100 for a Form 1 only gets his eyes on the forms to be sure everything is filled out correctly. You will still need to do the leg work to get CLEO signatures, fingerprints. pictures, etc.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
hey iam new to the NFA thing. whats involved in SBR'ing my K-gun clone? my gun has a 3 lug under the fake supp. my local guy says it will cost $200 for the lic. plus he is charging $100 to do the paperwork. is that right?

<-------
$100? Does that include dinner and a movie first? It's a single sheet of paper for gosh sakes. Put the free market to work and look for someone else, the gunbroker ffl search is a good place to start. Mine charges $20 for NFA transfers, $10 for regular title 1 stuff.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Let's get this straight:

Mail that entire package plus a $200 check to the West Virginia NFA office and wait about 5-7 weeks.
CZ-75 - are you syre about the West VA addy? I just sent a Form-4 to ATF's NFA branch Atlanta per my SOT's instructions.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

<-------
I did my SW-45-PDW clone this way. Buy the gun and pay his price. Then do the Form 1 yourself, no third party person involved. Filling out the Form 1 is not rocket surgery.
Get two copies of the Form 1, finger print cards, and Certificate of Compliance (only one is needed but I sent in two of every damned thing).
Get two pass port photos made. Fill out everything in duplicate. Take both copies and get your local CLEO to sign off on it.
Send it in to the ATFE with a check for $200.
Wait two to 6 months (6 months for me) for approval.
When it gets back grind off the weld spot on the fake suppressor with a Dremmel. Work time, five minutes.
The pin drops out, and the FS pulls off. Done.

Indeed I did mean Form 1. Case of too early for a weekend and a slipped digit!

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Big Bore meant to say form 1

But I totally agree with him. You own the gun already so don't mess around with transfer fees regardless of the amount (my C3 charges $75). You will have to pay $200 for the form 1 (SBR) thats a given. When your approved forms come back, break out the dremel and get rid of the "muzzle device".
Issues: Try to find out how it's affixed so you have a plan to remove it. Also, ascertain what is underneath i.e. is it a spec 3 lug barrel or adapter etc? Mine was a true MP5 barrel with a fake can so I was golden.
We shouldn't be reluctant to pay fees to a C3 for his services, but in your case, it is not neccessary.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Thanks for the correction. I went back and corrected the mistake. If I may paraphrase Longstreet's aid in Gettysburg "Sometimes General, I worry me."

Since we have essentially the same firearm, look around the base of the fake suppressor where it attaches. You will see a small weld mark. To remove the blind pin, grind off the weld and once you have it all removed, the pin just drops out and the FS can be pulled off. SW used amost all 3 lug barrels on their guns with fake suppressors except for the first 100 of the .45 versions, which mine was. My barrel was bad and after SW replaced it with a good one, it came with a three lug barrel. Since yours is a 9mm I would bet dollars to doughnuts that it has the 3 lug. If the base of the fake suppressor, looking at the rear end where the FS is over the barrel, if it is in contact with the barrel there is no 3 lug, but if there is a small gap there then there is a 3 lug barrel under there. The pin will be put in one of the lugs and can be plugged with a little Accraglass if the hole bothers you. After you get your Form 1 back approved and you remove the fake suppressor, tough up the finish with Brownell's Aluma-Hyde II matte black. Let dry for one week then oil and it looks just like the HK finish. In my picture above the finish is still curing and has not been oiled yet and that is why the lugs appear dull. Once oiled it looks just like the rest of the finish.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts