HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentle People,
I have found a like new JLD PTR 91 with s/n A 013X. I like everything I can see so far, but don't know enough about the JLD rifles. Do know SOME had issues. Can anyone shed light on this for me?
Thanks much and
ROLL TIDE !!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kevin, Thanks much for the reply. My ONLY concern is the fact that this rifle s/n is in the first 150 of the A series?? I know AW series had problems. What is the story line on the A series. PTR Industries, LLC (current owner) has no records from the JLD era and cannot help me with this s/n. I will say they have been most helpful in general and I would highly recommend them based upon their customer give a rip attitude. If they build product with the same care, it will be a world class weapon.

Thanks again Kevin. This is my very first post and I appreciate your quick assistance.
Roll Tide, etc.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Gentle People,
I have found a like new JLD PTR 91 with s/n A 013X. I like everything I can see so far, but don't know enough about the JLD rifles. Do know SOME had issues. Can anyone shed light on this for me?
Thanks much and
ROLL TIDE !!!
the very early JLD rifles (first 200 or so) supposedly had trunnion issues:
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-clone...er-usa-trunnion-have-some-soft-trunnions.html

so you should be careful and check the rifle out carefully, especially the bolt gap. search through the threads and you can find out more.

·
Registered
617 Posts
the very early JLD rifles (first 200 or so) supposedly had trunnion issues:
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-clone...er-usa-trunnion-have-some-soft-trunnions.html

so you should be careful and check the rifle out carefully, especially the bolt gap. search through the threads and you can find out more.
The early ones with less than a 550-ish S/N had issues, I've always aimed for 600+ when purchasing, just to be sure.

Way too tight of a chamber. They would load fine, fire fine, but no or limited extraction, and if they did get lucky and extract, weak or no ejection.

If you decide to purchase, make sure you can try it, mine wouldn't work with ANY surplus ammo, and very limited success with match ammo, which is what they said it required.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I seem to remember that that first 500-600 JLD guns, or thereabouts, had SOFT trunnions.
Any JLD gun ABOVE #600 should be great, and there is a good chance the one you're looking at was fixed by JLD.
It was my impression from lots of past posts, that JLD offered a recall to repair affected pieces. They DID fix those guns sent to them in that range WITH soft trunnions
or so I have been told. I looked at one #06XX recently at a show but it was FILTHY and the seller wanted enough I could have gotten a true HK!
Folks with better knowledge than me on this site can probably straighten you out for sure.
Personally, I would take a chance and get it, IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT. (who knows what you'll be able to buy/sell/own after November 6!!)
You can always sell it for at least enough to get your investment back!
GOOD LUCK and let everyone know what happens/you do!
VOTE NOV. 6

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Banger53 and all responders,
Yes, I and my family will surely vote in November. We are satisfied this is likely the most important election in our country's history, regardless of the outcome.

I will visit the PTR 91 today and seek to determine the true condition of the weapon. It is without question a "nice" conditioned rifle that appears to never have chambered a round. The trunion and ammo feed questions are of great concern and I would not consider it unless the price was such that I could justify the repairs which would exceed $500.00 according to my local gunsmith. The asking price is $1,050.00. At that price I would expect it to be a battle ready weapon. (Please advise if you agree with this statement.)

More as I gain information.
RollTide

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK guys, here is the current on subject PTR 91 s/n A013X. Gunshop owner is sending it through his gunsmith to varify and answer my questions. I will speak with gunsmith when he has completed his investigation. (He will contact PTR technical support for assistance) Once complete, owner will 'warranty' the weapon for 90 days. Price reduced to %1000.00.

NOW GET THIS. Shop has a second PTR 91 A model s/n A 20XX!! Also in like new condition. This one is considerably heavier. Weight seems to be forward. Barrel looks same as the first weapon. Hand guard is LARGE, WIDE and appears to be Aluminum!! Has what appears to be a connecting point at front of guard for perhaps a bi-pod!!

This weapon feels to be two pounds heavier. Likely it is more in the one pound range, but it is obvious and makes for a barrel heavy mount.

IF this is caused by the fore arm, that is an easy fix. So, what you think of this weapon. I WILL post some photo's to support my inquiery. Again, thanks to the very knowledgeable members of HKPro.
RollTide

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
N4JVE, awaiting the gunsmith's verdict. May just purchase both. One for son and one for the 'ole Devil Dawg!! I noted something I was not expecting this PM when visiting the shop. Both are stamped as .308 !!! No mention of 7.62X51!! Just curious as to this particular marking as most times a weapon will be dual marked or if only one caliber it would be the metric nomenclature.

·
Registered
370 Posts
GRAB BOTH AND RUN!!
Should chamber/shoot both .308 & 7.62 ammo fine.
GOOD LUCK !!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a A4xxx JLD rifle. At first the rifle and I had our misunderstandings.

However, I have now fallen in love with the thing. Such a great shooter! Did some sighting in today, and managed a couple 1/2" 3 shot groups (Prvi M80 145gr) at 30yds. I see no reason why this rifle could not do 1 MOA or better at 100yds with quality ammo. Took the rifle all the way out to 400yards with the irons. Was successful at hitting the torso size/shape steel plate 4/5 times.
Beat up my cheek from shooting it so much. I actually have swelling and minor bruising to my face. Not sure how I am going to explain that one to people. This rifle wants to destroy everything, it's evil... buy it... buy them both.

Edit: If I recall correctly...

A .308 chamber can handle 7.62 x 51 no problem. Commercial .308 is higher pressure than 7.62 NATO. A 7.62 NATO chamber might not be able to handle .308 though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK Guys!! Here is the current news on this Original Post. I did in fact purchase both rifles. Gunsmith, (not well informed on HK/PTR but gunsmith for sure) gave a green light and assurance that neither rifle had more than a few rounds through them. I will here post my findings on the first cleaning, range visit and subsequent cleaning. I will refer to the rifles as #1 and #2. #1 is JLD s/n A013X and #2 is A208X. Both are in like new condition.

Cleaning prior to range visit revealed minor residue and clean bores. Mainly cleaned them to have a baseline I knew was good.

Ammo was Prvi PPU .308 Win. 145 gr. FMJ. It was great and not dirty at all. Will purchase more. Chrono'ed at +/- 2800 all afternoon.

#1 misfired first round. Found the cause to be the bolt was not fully engaged (full battery) This was a problem with any attempt to fire that the charging handle was not quicly released or released from the open catch position (slammed). The bolt was not fully closing without heavy assistance. Don't know if this is due to being VERY NEW and VERY TIGHT or if there is an underlying issue to be discovered. (Appreciate any input on this question.) Once the bolt is fully set, the weapon was flawless. Out to 200yd, 1.3inch was the norm for 3 shots. (Note the brass ejected was lethal to anyone or thing within 30 feet to the 2 0'clock position. On one occasion my friend caught one from about 3 feet. It broke skin.) More on brass later. Suffice to say, this is a truly enjoyable and well performing weapon based upon first outing.

#2 has a problem with the charging handle hanging upon initial pull. It is very difficult to cause to "break lose" rearward. After the initial "jerk" it runs smooth. This weapon was a dream to shoot all day. We could have burned a thousand rounds it was so much fun. Sub 1" 100 yard and just a nip over 1" 200yard on the peep. Everyone at the range fired it. (I could have made a nice profit on this one, but my son will not let it go.)

Now, the flute issues, and other ammo questions. First, I do not know how to look at the flutes. I am new to PTR's and can't figure how to remove the barrel from the receiver. BUT, the fired cases leave no doubt as to the flute count. My weapons have ten flutes. I can see them and I can feel them on the spent cases!!!! Also, the cases went into the chamber nice and shiney and they come out strecthed with the imprint of the flutes and they are blackened with Zebra stripes.

More than 50% had lip damage. All have severe case wall dents and all have substantial nicks on the rim from the extractor. The brass sure takes a beating!

So this is my initial report. Can't say if they will eat the tar stuff, but will eventually find some and feed it to them. At this point I have no reason to suspect the trunion issue on the #1 even though it is a VERY low JLD build. AND I would simply send it to John McNamara at PTR if a problem developed. John and everyone at PTR has been great to support me and offer information as I struggled to decide what to do. I am pleased at this time and if I ever decide to purchase another weapon, I will surely purchase a new PTR. Anyone that wants to forgo the hassle I endured for days and days should just order from PTR. (I only wanted the low s/n weapons because of the HK original parts and the Wilson barrels.

I offer my sincere thanks to those that have offered their wisdom here and assure you the assistance was invaluable in my decision. I will keep all posted on the next few outings. Also, intend on some goodies and upgrades.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
You can't remove the barrel, they are pressed in

1 MOA is excellent for a HK of any sort

The foreend on your higher serial number rifle is likely the excellent PTR 91 aluminum with the pre drilled/threaded holes for rail installation. I put a Harris bipod, 5 position folding grip and an M3X light on mine. You'll need rail sections installed for these accessories. My PTR91 is the TC heavy barrel AW series and I am setting it up as a semi auto fiire support weapon, next are drums and a Magpul stock. It has lots of other upgrades already

ALWAYS slap the bolt release down HARD to chamber a round

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey, thanks for the info. I do not yet know enough about these weapons. I was having difficulty understanding what/where/why there was a trunion and where it was. Got it now, but still can't understand how to check it for faults, flutes and etc. I know my weapons have 10 flutes because I can count the marks on the shell casing.

Bolt gap is currently .o12 and .o14 and they are extremely accurate in my son's hands. This 'ole Devil Dog can still put 'em on the spot also, but the eyes are failing. The son has the eyes and the nerves. The PTR's did the rest.

I am still a bit concerned about the abuse the shell casings take. Is that normal?? I will install port buffers or shell deflectors to mitigate some of the ejector problems. Hope that will help!!

We will be adding and tweeking these weapons for a time. Going a bit slow as we learn what they are capable of and how to handle them. Frankly, they are very simple and forgiving. The learning curve appears will be short.

I will be GTG if someone could lead me through the procedure to inspect the trunion. Thanks much to everyone who has offered guidance.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
The brass flying out with violence is perfectly normal.
The brass being partially destroyed is also perfectly normal

You can put parts on and make adjustments to help mitigate the above points but out of the box that is the way they roll.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
10 flutes is correct on the JLD guns which used Wilson Barrels. These guns will run just fine on the tar sealed ammo. My JLD gun # A30xx will run all day on the SA ammo which leaves my gun in a disgusting filthy state after a range session. Special attention must be made to clean all the tar from the trunnion, as a cleaning rod & patch won't do it. When you think you're done take a rag & soak it with brake or carb clnr & using your index finger push the rag through the front of the magwell towards the chamber to clean the trunnion area. Don't stop until the rag comes out clean. Then use an oiled rag to lube the trunnion. Congrats on 2 fine guns. PTR can only hope to make guns the quality of the early JLD guns. GARY N4KVE

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Jim is right, IF you do not have a port buffer.. I installed one right off the bat as well as the related carry handle. RTG sells them as a set for a fair price and they are the first mod I always make to a roller lock. You will need to make a small mod to your aluminum fore end to install a carry handle.. all you need is an angle grinder and a good metal file, and a little paint or aluminum blue to touch it up

1 - 19 of 19 Posts