HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Gals and Guys,

Appreciate the welcome to the forum as I've been an observer for many years and have appreciated all the helpful information I've found from you all. I'm a financial advisor from Boston and a firearm enthusiast for the last few years -- the firearm community has been one of the most encouraging and welcoming groups I have ever been a part of and I look forward to it for many years to come.

I figure it's safe to say that most people on here are HK fans (I would hope so). So I figured I'd share my little path to the world of HK's... Many years ago, a friend of mine opened a range and invited me to shoot a firearm for the first time. He was kind enough to let me shoot about 25 pistols and probably close to 1,000 rounds that day. We shot everything including Glocks, Berettas, HK's, Sigs, S&W/M&P's, and the list goes on in all calibers. I chose my favorites to the best of my ability as a rookie, but most people told me "always just choose what feels best to you" -- so I really just made it that simple. What felt best, and shot best, to me, were the HK's.

I had a blast, but it would be some time before I got my LTC. So when I got it and it was time for my first gun, I decided to take a step back from my very inexperienced favoritism to HK and did what every enthused rookie seems to do: research the hell out of everything. After a lot of talk and poking around and much diligence, I had narrowed it down to a Sig or an HK (how unusual right?). At this point I figured I'd spend close to a grand, which I was ok with, but figured if there was a generally good reputation for both manufacturers, it made sense to me to choose an alloy frame over a polymer if I was going to drop four-figures, so I went with a Sig P226 (don't worry, the story isn't over).

In general (and as a collector of other things including guitars), I like stick mostly to one brand because let's face it -- you might be an expert at an activity, but practice with a specific tool can refine you quite a bit. I play any guitar well, but I play Fenders best. So I decided I am going to devote time to learning to shoot Sigs best. Well, I get my new and sealed Sig, we open it up, and it is covered in scuffs, chips, and scrapes -- most notably a huge chip above the decocker as most Sig have. Trying to not be prissy, I took it home anyway (hey, it's a tool that's meant to be used right?). I called Sig just to ask if this was normal and they said no, so they sent me a prepaid label and said it would take 6 weeks to replace it because they had not made new P226's yet. Great. So I sent it in and now was gun-less. Well we couldn't have that, so I picked up a used older P226 to hold me over. Although I had no malfunctions, it consistently shot about 3" low, even at just 5 yards (3 other people confirmed this). I called Sig and they said I could send it in for $55 shipping plus an additional $119 to put on new sights and adjust them. At that point I said forget it and sold it for what I paid for it and bought a new SP2022. I had a hell of a time reassembling the gun after cleaning because the rear rails didn't quite line up and I had to shove it over the right to get it on the track -- but I didn't care at this point and it shot fairly well. A few weeks later, I get notice my new P226 was in and I headed over to the shop. We pop it open and go figure -- its more beat up than the first one. At this point I was giving up, so I took it home. I bring it to the range and pop off a few rounds, all is well so far. Then when I was done, I tried to decock it and it wouldn't work... Back to Sig and told them I was sent another P226 that was in worse shape and now the decocker doesn't work. They agree to replace it again, and they did but it was a little fast this time. Got my [now third] P226 and once again in crap shape and this one has this really tight, gritty trigger. Brought it to the range and it shoots a couple inches high with the sandpaper trigger (once again, others confirmed this). Now back to Sig to readjust... By the time I had gotten it back, I had just gotten fed up with Sig. Granted they were nice to me on the phone, but I had just lost some faith in their product. I brought my P226 and SP2022 to the shop and decided to go with my original instinct of moving to the HK's. I had read a lot of internet hype about Sig QC going downhill, and chose to ignore it, but from my own humble experience, it isn't a rumor. I tried my best to be loyal, but enough was enough.

My two Sigs became a VP9, and a P30L v3. First of all (I know some may bash me for caring about condition, but go for it if you need to), they were fing mint out of the box -- like someone had actually taken a look at it before shipping it out (amazing right?!). Brought them home, did a few dry fires, changed out the grips (I have big hands but the small grips fit the contour of my hands best), lubed it, and brought it strait to the range with a few buddies. We shot the crap out of those things, and they were both nail drivers right out of the box. We put maybe 500 rounds through each, and by the end of the day, everyone had a very sad look on their face when they had to return home with their own guns (cumulatively brought about 20 other pistols). Obviously not a single hiccup or malfunction on either. And for the first time shooting my new HK's, I shot them better on my first try than I ever had with any Sig.

Just the feel of HK's, combined with their significantly better QC, flawless ergonomics, and dead accuracy...what can I say, I'm sold. I admit that with the Sigs, I ignored the high bore axis and said it wouldn't matter, but learned quickly how much better I shoot with a lower axis. Yes yes, in the interim I've shot Glocks and M&P's and all those, somewhat extensively. I'm not here to bash them, I respect everyone's opinion. This whole thing wasn't even to bash Sig -- you get a good one and it's great. But after the last half-year or so of shooting my HK's with nothing but pure joy, they have earned my confidence and I don't look back! Needless to say, I wish I had started with HK, but maybe it was a good thing that I didn't so I could even further appreciate them when I finally had them.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far :D

Look forward to reading more and posting, everyone be well!

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
12,044 Posts
This thread has been moved to a more appropriate venue. Please do not turn this in to a versus debate...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This thread has been moved to a more appropriate venue. Please do not turn this in to a versus debate...
Thanks for approving the thread, absolutely not trying to turn this into a debate, I tried to present factually and objectively. Really was just an expression of HK love. Thanks again.

·
Priest of the P7
5,325 Posts
Hey, not everyone can get it right the first time. At least you corrected your mistake.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, not everyone can get it right the first time. At least you corrected your mistake.
Hah, exactly how I feel. Aside from ammo, the whole experience caused me to only lose about $250 since I sold them for close to what I paid -- small price to pay for invaluable lessons I suppose. Thanks for checking in brother.

·
Priest of the P7
5,325 Posts
If you still have a taste for a steel framed gun that is HK quality get yourself a P7. You won't be sorry.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nothing wrong with experiencing different firearms.................at least then, you know what your talking about.
Absolutely, when I got into the hobby I figured it was like anything else: no matter how much research and testing you do to the end of the world, you never quite get it right on your first try. I just consider myself a winner that I didn't get beat too hard financially through the process. Sig had good customer service and never gave me a hard time -- I'll give them that. But I couldn't give you any idea on how HK's customer service is because I've never had to call them.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Good on ya, DJM. I enjoyed reading your tale.

I'm no HK fanboy, and I have quite a few different makes in my arsenal. But at this moment in time, I think my P2000SK is the best concealed carry gun that anyone could wish for.

·
Registered
332 Posts
i still frequent other gun websites for info and new product reviews and i do own a lot of weapons from other manufacturers . it amazes me how many other gun sites have love for H&K, the only negative gripe is cost . i can think of only one gun website that hates H&K, take a wild guess, think jim jones . hkpro is the only gun site i'm a member, stand up group of members !

i'll never forget the day i was shooting my friends gold cup, still love that weapon, and told him i'm buying one when i get the funds . he asked what are your intentions for the weapon ? i told him my g19 just doesn't fit me and i can't hit the side of a barn with it, i want a gold cup . he told me sell the g19 and get the H&K USP 45, it will serve you better for a CCW . that was years ago . long story short, life happens, hard times and stilled carried that g19 . things got better, money got better and that day finally came, nope not a gold cup .

i am a H&K 45 fanboy, 6 and counting and that ole used USPc dirty bastard is always on my side .

i do agree with berettabone, "Nothing wrong with experiencing different firearms.................at least then, you know what your talking about." that's what lead me to H&K .

i do own 2 sigs, p238 BUG and my GF. likes shooting it and 1989 west german p226, that's the one you want, it's a safe queen . my H&K's get all my attention, the rest are just part of my collection .

NO COMPROMISE !

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good on ya, DJM. I enjoyed reading your tale.

I'm no HK fanboy, and I have quite a few different makes in my arsenal. But at this moment in time, I think my P2000SK is the best concealed carry gun that anyone could wish for.
Absolutely, that's a great piece, friend has one and it's stellar. I have added quite a few to my little collection since, Sigs included believe it or not when I found a good one, but I simply go with what's best and my HK's are running even better than the day I got them. Thanks for reading, looking forward to chatting with you.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i still frequent other gun websites for info and new product reviews and i do own a lot of weapons from other manufacturers . it amazes me how many other gun sites have love for H&K, the only negative gripe is cost . i can think of only one gun website that hates H&K, take a wild guess, think jim jones . hkpro is the only gun site i'm a member, stand up group of members !

i'll never forget the day i was shooting my friends gold cup, still love that weapon, and told him i'm buying one when i get the funds . he asked what are your intentions for the weapon ? i told him my g19 just doesn't fit me and i can't hit the side of a barn with it, i want a gold cup . he told me sell the g19 and get the H&K USP 45, it will serve you better for a CCW . that was years ago . long story short, life happens, hard times and stilled carried that g19 . things got better, money got better and that day finally came, nope not a gold cup .

i am a H&K 45 fanboy, 6 and counting and that ole used USPc dirty bastard is always on my side .

i do agree with berettabone, "Nothing wrong with experiencing different firearms.................at least then, you know what your talking about." that's what lead me to H&K .

i do own 2 sigs, p238 BUG and my GF. likes shooting it and 1989 west german p226, that's the one you want, it's a safe queen . my H&K's get all my attention, the rest are just part of my collection .

NO COMPROMISE !
Ha, thanks for reading! I tried to communicate as best as I could that it was not my intention to bash Sig, or any other brand for that matter. I realize I was probably one of the few unlucky ones that had a streak of crap luck. Not to sound like Ghandi, but sometimes the universe just leads me to certain things -- when I started collecting guitars, I tried Gibsons and just had horrible luck with them. They're one of the best makers used by millions, and even though I still have a couple, Fender has been nothing but a joy to play. This is pretty much identical to my feeling and relationships with Sig/HK.

I know hammer vs. striker is another endless debate with no real answer, but my feeling is that striker-fired makes more sense for semi-autos logically, but I still just incredible satisfaction out of a single action pull with the hammer cocked -- just gives me more of a sense of the weapon being ready. With that being said, I've liked my P30L just a little more than the VP9, and it seems like the next logical step for me is an HK45. I'm fortunate enough to not be under much financial stress at the moment *knock on wood* but it's just a matter of swallowing that thousand bucks for the 45. But I know when I do, it'll be worth every damn penny.

Thanks for checking in and saying hi, look forward to chatting. Best wishes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts