Votes: 1 10.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, So yesterday I flew from Vegas to Denver on Frontier Yesterday. (I'm from Colorado but stationed in California) As usual, I checked my USPc in my baggage, expecting to be taken to a closed off, "super secret" x-ray machine to have the case and all my bags scanned...but THIS time the attendant at the counter just had me open my case up and show him my handgun right there in front of everyone! (I'm surprised that there were no gasps and screams of fear. It's retarded that sometimes I feel like a terrorist in a country that I've bled for.) Interesting...

I would like to know, for those of you who have traveled with firearms, how your experiences have been and with which carrier you've flown with.

Frontier is a Colorado company and I've always flown with them. I really like them for their "we won't submit to the liberal anti-gun policies".

Sometimes I feel like a criminal, upholding my second amendment rights...strange.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've been hassled twice. The second time, I thought, Hmmm, if I disassemble the weapon, putting the barrel in one bag, slide in the second, and frame in the third, they won't crap when they see it on the xray machine...

Nope. They asked me why it was in there, and I told them it was not only legal, but none of their damned business. They then proceeded to tell me they couldn't let me or my bags onto the plane. We went back and forth for almost 15 minutes, much like the first time, before an off duty Detroit PD officer came over and explained to them that it was, indeed, legal. They then reluctantly allowed me onto the plane. I must either look like a terrorist or have crappy luck, because I've only spoken to one other person who's had any trouble with the airlines or luggage checkers. *shrugs*

Oh, and here's a comment made to me by the TSA guy there...he said that if I were going to lock the case, it had to have a TSA-approved lock. When I asked him what that was, he said it was a lock that allowed TSA employees to open the lock without knowing the code, via a special key. Yeah, right...like I'm going to trust random individuals to go rifling through my luggage. It's Masterlock for me and my gun luggage. :)

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,640 Posts
Please try to keep this HK related...

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
.......he said that if I were going to lock the case, it had to have a TSA-approved lock. When I asked him what that was, he said it was a lock that allowed TSA employees to open the lock without knowing the code, via a special key. Yeah, right...like I'm going to trust random individuals to go rifling through my luggage. It's Masterlock for me and my gun luggage. :)
The TSA approved lock is pretty much standard now. You can lock your luggage with whatever you want, but get the wrong guy and they can detain you or in a worst case situation just bust open your luggage. While you probably would be compensated for it, it's still going to be a hassle.

Original topic, sorry don't have any personal experience checking through firearms/ammo, just what I've heard from guys I've talked to down here.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Airline Travel with toys

I find it hit or miss with the rare incident of them just handing you the red sticker, no questions asked, then minimal time at the exam room rare. You'll have to follow the law to the letter these days-that's your job as a citizen. I have rarely travelled with 3 guns in the last 2 yrs but when I did, many TSA agents would drool at my HKs, rifles or shotgun that they did not realize they were holding me up. I don't use TSA locks on my starlight case. I wait for the xray, the visual exam and watch them lock the case/sticker it and send it off to the plane. I'd recommend the NRA Armscare programs insurance. I just hate the thought of loosing a very valued HK pistol or rifle. Play nice is also a good bet, act arrogant and someone else could find a way to make it hard on you.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I've flown a couple of times with my HK's. Best thing I've found is to know what ever airline your flying on, tag color for guns. First time the ticket counter lady knew what was up and was easy. Second time lady didn't have a clue. But I knew i needed a orange tag, and just kept telling her that. Eventually her manger came over and showed her ware the tags where. Funny thing about the second time was that an off duty cop was behind me in line and was flying with his gun also, but he had no clue as to the rules.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've found that frontier has always been professional and have had no problems...I just thought it was weird that they inspected my handgun at the ticket counter instead of the little TSA room.

I always check my USP in my baggage in a locked (Masterlock), hard case inside my checked baggage, which is locked with a TSA approved lock. Double locked with no ammo at all times!

·
Registered
101 Posts
The TSA approved lock is pretty much standard now. You can lock your luggage with whatever you want, but get the wrong guy and they can detain you or in a worst case situation just bust open your luggage. While you probably would be compensated for it, it's still going to be a hassle.

Original topic, sorry don't have any personal experience checking through firearms/ammo, just what I've heard from guys I've talked to down here.
I wouldn't mind them busting open my luggage as much as I'd mind them searching my luggage without even asking me or letting me know.

If they ask me if they can search my luggage, I'd always say yes, as I have no reason to decline. However, I don't like the idea of them searching anyone's luggage they so please, or having a universal key to everyone's luggage. I personally believe that this, along with the so-called Patriot Act, takes the government's authority a bit too far. It would not be hard to simply have the individual present when you examine their luggage. I've had packages ripped open and things stolen during shipping; what's to make me think this would be any different? At least I'll know if they messed with my luggage this way.

Sorry if I'm venting, but I simply feel as though I've lost a significant portion of my privacy in this matter. I understand that sometimes we need to make sacrifices for the greater good of our country and its security, but I consider this step unnecessary. Just my $0.02...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Oh, and here's a comment made to me by the TSA guy there...he said that if I were going to lock the case, it had to have a TSA-approved lock. When I asked him what that was, he said it was a lock that allowed TSA employees to open the lock without knowing the code, via a special key. Yeah, right...like I'm going to trust random individuals to go rifling through my luggage. It's Masterlock for me and my gun luggage.
Not only is locking your gun luggage with a TSA lock not a good idea, it's illegal. Federal regs require that firearms be placed in a locked, hard sided container, to which only the owner (i.e. you) has the key or combination.

I've found it helpful to print out a copy of the TSA and airline rules and regs for flying with guns to show the dimwits at check-in.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Last time I flew with a gun was a couple of years ago. It was my Krieghoff K80 and really didn't have any issues. I flew out of O'hare on American. I did the quick simple orange tag, took the bag to the xray machine. They scanned it, opened it to inspect it and then locked the case for me in front of me and off I went. I later the same year took a hunting trip and flew with a couple of guns in one case and it was the same experience.

I will be going to Frontsight in March 08 and will be taking a couple of HK's with me. I bought a very nice pelican case that will be in my luggage. I will have them lock that case after inspection just as I did with my shotguns.

Now my question is do I put it in my luggage or ship it as a seperate bag?

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,640 Posts
Sorry folks. There really is no HK content here and it's getting ready to devolve into a gun rights battle. The thread should have been deleted. Instead, it will be locked.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.