HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:83: I have had my new USP .45 Tactical to the range twice now. Both times were very frustrating. I am pretty accurate with my Steyr S40. Any shot I take goes within and inch of where I aim it at 15 -20 feet. I was shooting a glock 19 a while ago, and am not quite as accurate, but respectible. I am all over the place with the USP .45 Tactical. If I were consistent, I would think it was the sights, but I can't even seem to find a pattern. I am not blaming the gun, but if anyone has had a similar experience, what did you do to remedy this? Could it be the size difference? It is the first pistol of this size I have shot. I do not think it is the caliber. I shot a Kimber that was a .45 and I did well with it. I just know this is a very accurate pistol, and I do not want to keep embarrasing myself. Could it have something to do with the raised sights?

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Master the 4 basic fundamentals

*Grip
*Sights
*Trigger
*Practice practice practice

Give it time on learning the USP, most of my shooting with it is in SA, the DA takes a bit of getting used to, but in the end it all comes down to trigger control - its new to you, but its gonna come together - when it does...you wont stop smiling!

I took one of my USPF .45 to the range Saturday - its exhibits extreme accuracy for a combat pistol. The Tactical Match trigger is even better

*The tall sights wont throw any shots off*

·
Registered
802 Posts
It all comes down to trigger control, trigger control, and trigger control. Shoot the gun off a bench using sandbags or a rest. That'll eliminate you screwing up, and magically the gun will shoot where it is pointed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Master the 4 basic fundamentals
*Grip
*Sights
*Trigger
*Practice practice practice
I'll also ad *Stance as #1 to that list as well. When HKPRO held his MP5 course here i went to watch, and during break i was allowed to squeeze off a few rounds with my handgun. I didn't want to bug him any, but asked for some advice. The two things he had me change was my stance, and grip tightness. I used to shoot slanted, one foot way in front of the other, and my grip was just soso, he told me to square up and white knuckle grip it, and BAM, it was zen.

What he said about practice, practice, practice!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would say don't white knuckle it. Hold it like a firm handshake. If you white knuckle it you'll end up shaking and your long distance shots will be all over the place. As far as stance goes, I have my offhand foot straight forward and my stronghand foot at a 45 degree angle and 3 to 6 inches behind it a little over shoulder width apart with my torso squared up to the target.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ditto to what everyone said. I got my Tac45 a few months ago and my first several times out to the range were very similar to yours. For me, it really came down to learning the trigger - it's got a very different feel from my other pistols. Lots of snap cap practice later, and I'm pretty much back to hitting the black, although I still have some more muscle memory to build with this one before I'll be happy with my performance. Try this next time you go to the range - put a snap cap in, and practice a couple mags' worth of dry fire in SA, keeping the trigger held for a second or two after each pull since proper follow through is particularly important with this gun. Take your time, and make sure the sights stay on target. Try a round of live ammo (it should be right on target), then another few mags' worth with the snap cap. Then try it with two live rounds followed by snap caps, then three. Once you're consistantly getting tight groups of three, you've likely got the feel of it. Good luck, and nice purchase! ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ditto to what everyone said. I got my Tac45 a few months ago and my first several times out to the range were very similar to yours. For me, it really came down to learning the trigger - it's got a very different feel from my other pistols. Lots of snap cap practice later, and I'm pretty much back to hitting the black, although I still have some more muscle memory to build with this one before I'll be happy with my performance. Try this next time you go to the range - put a snap cap in, and practice a couple mags' worth of dry fire in SA, keeping the trigger held for a second or two after each pull since proper follow through is particularly important with this gun. Take your time, and make sure the sights stay on target. Try a round of live ammo (it should be right on target), then another few mags' worth with the snap cap. Then try it with two live rounds followed by snap caps, then three. Once you're consistantly getting tight groups of three, you've likely got the feel of it. Good luck, and nice purchase! ;)

Thanks for the idea. I will try it. Oh and I like the Reagan quote too!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just a note. My first HK was the 9USPF which I found hard to shoot, once I got the 45TAC, what a revelation. On target, accurate and full of life. It just might be the round itself. HMMM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts