HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day at the range, a friend had a FTF after his first shot. He was using a Glock of some kind. He said he gets FTFs sometimes when he tops off his mags and never gets them when he doesn't top off.

I don't top off my USP9 or P2000 and have never had an FTF after the first shot. The reason I don't top off is on recommendations of a few people who have told me that they have had FTFs (they weren't using H&K).

I would be greatful to hear any pros / cons and any actual experiences from you folks out there on this subject.

Also, if any LEOs would like to respond, what is your department's policy & why?

·
Registered
14 Posts
The only time I had a failure to feed on my Glock was because I didn't push the mag in far enough. If you've got a round in the chamber and trying to reload a full mag, you really have to push it in there.

I fired a round, next was a click. My mag was hanging in the magwell, just not far enough to load the next round. Push in, cycle slide, everything went ok from there.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I top off my USP .40 and USP .45 every time and never had a problem, not even once. Why would you carry a gun that you couldn't load? I don't know. Maybe since I carry HK I just wouldn't understand. LOL
Go ahead and load the full number of rounds your mags are designed for. You should never have a problem.

·
Registered
173 Posts
+1 never had any problems of any kind with any usp 9/40/45 from loading mags to capacity

·
Registered
651 Posts
I have heard plenty of folks say they don't top off mags due to FTF, and or to prolong the live of the springs. I have never had that problem with my glocks or my USP. My USP is 10 years old and has had fully loaded mags since I got it with the exception of range time, and regular cleaning of the mags. I did have that problem with a few of my surplus AR mags so I got rid of them.

I'd guess it's a mag problem. He should try with different mags, and mark the mags that have the problem with a piece of masking tape or chalk.

As for department policy, we don't have a policy on handguns, but we do have a policy on carbines not being loaded with more than 30 rds per mag. That policy stems from most of our carbines are ARs, and the 40rd mags seem to be more prone to problems than the 20 or 30rd mags.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Failure to Fire

Part of the problem is that newer shooters tend to be more gentle when loading or reloading their gun, rather than firmly ramming the magazine in there so that it it seats properly. This "gentleness", coupled with a fully loaded mag, tends to cause the failure to fire situation. As a USPSA Range Officer, I see it quite frequently with new competitors in USPSA.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've had a FTF with a Glock 19 when the mags were topped off but no problems when they weren't. This happened using 10 round mags, if that makes any difference.

Never any problems with the USP though :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have had one failure to feed problem with my P2000 v3 .40 cal. I am convinced it is an issue with the mag springs. Oddly enough, the FTF was in the middle of the stack. Could have been a bad casing or something with the round itself. I do intend on replacing the factory mag springs with Wolf springs. Many folks on these boards have done this and seem to think that HK mag springs are notorious for being weak. I just can't imaging issues like these having anything to do with the pistol for either HK or Glock.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm not sure if this is related to this problem but the factory mag springs for the USP full size and the compact are the same. It seems like there would be more problems with the full size because of this. Also the 9 and 40 Glock subcompacts have the same spring as the compacts.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have had no failure to feed with my duty weapon or any of my personally owned HK's. My G36 mags work perfect with my SL8/G36K conversion, and I have NEVER downloaded a magazine by one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts