HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started out with a P30 V3 a few years ago. I could never master the DA/SA and really didn't like that hard first pull. Tried a lighter spring but after a few thousand rounds I still couldn't get it. I could shoot it very well but the different trigger pulls was always on my mind.

I was always curious about the LEM trigger and had regrets for not buying that initially. I simply was too new at shooting to understand the differences and went with the store salesman's recommendation for the V3. There were no LEMs around for me to borrow or rent. I could dry fire a new one but that didn't help me.

Then the VP9 was released. My trainer suggested that I get that. He tried to train me through the DA/SA V3 and I really did improve. I purchased my first VP9 and what a difference. Love, love, love the trigger and I was instantly much better. I'm talking night and day better.

Well that was a couple of years ago and in the back of my mind I have always wondered if I missed the boat on the P30 LEM. Is the P30 more reliable and built better than the VP9? All the usual comparison questions came to mind.

Now the price drop has opened up all those old wounds and the mind was wondering again if the P30 LEM would suite me better than the VP9.

A friend of mine got one so we went to the range and I finally got to shoot one. I must say I was quite dissapointed. I really like the P30 platform but there were two things that really made a difference for me.

1. The LEM trigger is nice. Better than the V3 to me. But the takeup is so long and the break is really far back. Very strange feeling.
2. The slide length and sight distance is longer on the VP9. Seems like it would have better accuracy. I am more accurate with it than the P30 LEM but that's really not a fair comparison since I have shot the VP9 a lot more.

I know a lot of you are going through the same thing so I thought I would post this in case it helps someone.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
I go large backstrap and small side panels on my P30 40 V1.
Ergonomics are all about personal preference.
I instinctively stage the first shot and ride the reset for follow ups.
Light LEM is the VooDoo trigger for some of us :cool:

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
You will either love the LEM trigger or decide it is not for you. Not much middle ground. If you like it and train diligently with it you can get great results. One of the difficulties I find is if you shoot other guns regularly like striker fired or DA/SA the LEM is another trigger you have to master. If it's the only trigger you shoot then no problem.

·
Registered
41 Posts
In addition to the 2 points you made (OP), did you also notice the muzzle flip with the P30? Visually when comparing the two, I thought, "Oh yeah, it's just a striker fired P30" but to my surprise, the muzzle flip was negligible and this was a huge bonus for me. Call me crazy but I like to work my split times and the quicker I can get the muzzle back on target during that dead time, the happier I am. Like Proctor taught me, "Life is a competition" :) And this was when I was informed that the bore height was lowered in the VP9

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
You will either love the LEM trigger or decide it is not for you. Not much middle ground. If you like it and train diligently with it you can get great results. One of the difficulties I find is if you shoot other guns regularly like striker fired or DA/SA the LEM is another trigger you have to master. If it's the only trigger you shoot then no problem.
+1 what Johnny said. If you test fire a LEM for the first time, like the trigger, and are willing to learn and master it, LEM will be worth your while. Otherwise, why bother?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am a huge fan of the LEM trigger, all my HK's have the LEM trigger but my P30.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just an opinion and I have a P30SK and HK45C both in DA/SA.....so with that said, I really feel that my VP9 and VP9SK are superior because of the shorter slide height and the phenomenal and easy to use trigger. I don’t see any advantage at all of using the hammer guns. If you are confident and safe enough to use the striker fired guns, I don’t see why they would be inferior at all. I tried switching to DA/SA guns thinking they were safer but I realize that as long as I keep the pistol holstered and have proper control then why wouldn’t I use and carry the striker guns which are superior across the board?

I’m still a novice and don’t claim to be anyone special at all. I just ran a few good gun courses and really got confident in using striker pistols and I don’t think I have the time, patience, or necessity to master the DA/SA or LEM triggers when the striker trigger on the VP9 is incredible and in a fire fight I know I’d be glad I have the better trigger.

Just my honest opinion. I still think the DA SA guns are fantastic and still want to get a P30L and HK45 full size (not sure if I will try LEMs)

Edit: I’ve never shot an LEM so I’m just going by what I’ve heard or seen on YouTube...so Please correct me if I am wrong, I’d love to learn the benefit of LEM over striker!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I like both LEM and DA/SA on my HKs. My HK45 and P30LS are DA/SA and my P30SK is LEM. I see advantages of LEM for CCW and love that I got the hammer for visual feedback of trigger movement and to put my thumb over to holster.

Those that complain about the real long take up on LEM for first shot did not do their homework on LEM as that is by design for safety reasons.

Here is a great article about different trigger actions including LEM and advantages and disadvantages of each.

https://pistol-training.com/archives/8549 -- LEMAs a "street" trigger.

Interesting excerpt:

This is the problem. Even the biggest advocates of “always keeping a finger off a trigger until a decision to shoot has been made” are caught regularly sub-consciously “touching” the trigger. We see this all the time in training, at matches, and it occurs all the time on the street. It is often a result of dealing with fear. Most people are not very experienced with dealing with extreme fear, and extreme stress (and it is not like a shooting match, it is like seeing a Tractor Trailer rig coming at you in your lane). Touching the trigger makes people feel better. Kind of like a child with their security blanket (we call this the “woobie” as a reference to this).

Reactions: venomsfp9

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've often enjoyed Darry Bolke's articles. I wholeheartedly agree with the comment near the end that "Walking Trails" added as a comment regarding training. Most people that own firearms do not train enough with them. Yes, I know it's expensive to do so but I see this as an inherent responsibility and must be budgeted for.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In addition to the 2 points you made (OP), did you also notice the muzzle flip with the P30? Visually when comparing the two, I thought, "Oh yeah, it's just a striker fired P30" but to my surprise, the muzzle flip was negligible and this was a huge bonus for me. Call me crazy but I like to work my split times and the quicker I can get the muzzle back on target during that dead time, the happier I am. Like Proctor taught me, "Life is a competition" :) And this was when I was informed that the bore height was lowered in the VP9
I actually noticed it too. I figured it was because my grip on the VP9 is better. I know its a higher grip but I was borrowing the P30 LEM and it had different size panels than I usually use so I wasn't sure it just felt different. I will have to bust out the ol' P30 V3 and do a side by side.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts