HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming up I will be posting videos of some of the fun I'm having with my VP9 in competition. To get started, here's a video of the legendary dark house from this year's Production Nationals.

·
HK Shooting Team
2,786 Posts
������ man can run a VP9!!!

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stage 7 at Production Nationals. A nice short course where any mistakes would cost a lot in overall standings.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stage 8 at Production Nationals. I didn't notice the target down the middle on the left until immediately before I shot. It didn't hurt too much since it was still a top 20 finish.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stage 9 at Production Nationals. Despite a couple hiccoughs, it was still a strong stage finish for me. Even though they were slow, those swingers were pretty intimidating since they were over 20 yards away from the closest shooting position.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stage 12 at Production Nationals. One of the few stages I had someone film in 3rd person. I had an unnecessary reload in the middle of the stage, but it didn't end up costing me much time.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Agreed that there aren't enough of us! I think I was one of two people shooting a VP9 at Nationals this year. I'm not exactly Youtube literate (I'm trying to fix that) but if you search for Range Lawyer it should show up (I have at least managed to standardize most of my social media to that name).

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
������ man can run a VP9!!!
Man can run any gun.

Question of the day, why no love for Utah State no more? Leaving to Tanfoglios to take it without a contest?

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
Agreed that there aren't enough of us! I think I was one of two people shooting a VP9 at Nationals this year. I'm not exactly Youtube literate (I'm trying to fix that) but if you search for Range Lawyer it should show up (I have at least managed to standardize most of my social media to that name).
Got it, thanks!!

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Man can run any gun.

Question of the day, why no love for Utah State no more? Leaving to Tanfoglios to take it without a contest?
Thanks for the compliment! Not shooting Utah State this year because it is the same weekend as Washington State, which I really wanted to shoot. The stages at Utah State are somewhat artificially limited by the small bay size, which can get old after a while.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
That's because that match is run by old people for old people like me. We like small bays ).

Good luck at Washington state.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Talionis would you mind answering some questions about running a vp9 in competition that could help some less experienced HK pro members? I think it could be helpful to other Vp9 owners since your are member of the HK shooting team and have probably the most knowledge(outside other HK sponsored shooters) running a vp9.

Just a few of the top of my head.

1) Have you discovered any nuisances specific to running the vp9 vs other pistols(sight tracking, recoil management and reloads)
2) How do you go about finding the optimal grip fitment with back strap and side panels?
3) What are your impressions of the vp9 and its shoot ability vs the other popular production guns in competition.

Thanks for your time and I hope this spurs further discussion about shooting and running a vp9 in competition.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Talionis would you mind answering some questions about running a vp9 in competition that could help some less experienced HK pro members? I think it could be helpful to other Vp9 owners since your are member of the HK shooting team and have probably the most knowledge(outside other HK sponsored shooters) running a vp9.

Just a few of the top of my head.

1) Have you discovered any nuisances specific to running the vp9 vs other pistols(sight tracking, recoil management and reloads)
2) How do you go about finding the optimal grip fitment with back strap and side panels?
3) What are your impressions of the vp9 and its shoot ability vs the other popular production guns in competition.

Thanks for your time and I hope this spurs further discussion about shooting and running a vp9 in competition.
I'm happy to answer any questions you might have! It's a little late here, so my response will be brief. I'll have some more in-depth thoughts typed up soon.

1) While it is different than the hammer fired HK's, it does tend to be a little bit flippier than all steel guns in recoil. That isn't a bad thing, just different. My splits are virtually the same on most targets as they were with my old CZ SP-01. Reloads took some getting used to, the trigger guard release requires me to shift my grip a little more than a regular thumb release, and the magazine well is a bit on the tight side.

2) Optimal grip fitment is very dependent on shooter's hands, but my primary decision hierarchy is something like this: a) what best allows me proper trigger finger placement so that I can press the trigger straight back without disturbing the gun, b) what allows me to best access the controls and what allows me the most contact with the gun, and c) what is comfortable to shoot for extended range sessions. For me, that boiled down to a medium back strap and small sides.

3) I moved to the VP9 from a CZ75 SP-01 purely because of preference. I chose the VP9 because it combines accuracy, reliability, and shootability in a package that is difficult to beat (I'll have lots more here on how some of the different guns compare to each other).

·
Registered
120 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the feedback!

I am sure I will have some more questions that pertain to shooting and performance.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Second place for Talionis in Production at the Washington state USPSA match! Congrats, man!
I know that you always aim to win, pun intended, but it is a great result. Too bad the WA and UT had matches on the same day, I would've enjoyed watching you duke it out with Brian and Wyatt here. But, you were right on stages here.
Good luck at your home match next week. I am working all three days...

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks YVK! I am quite happy with the 2nd place finish, considering the person who beat me. I expect to see him as a serious contender for national champion next year, and I will always cherish the Oregon state championship trophy I earned last year by beating him;)

It was unfortunate both state matches were on the same weekend, as I would have liked to attend both. That being said, I really enjoyed the Washington match and highly recommend it for next year to anyone that shoots in the northwest.

Here's stage 1 from the WA state match. It was a Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail theme. I may have gotten a bit too into the spirit of the match and loosened the go-pro mount with the flagellation board.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts