HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a recent HK convert after picking up a LNIB BB date code USP 45. I like it so much I decided to get another. I considered an HK 45 but just prefer the USP. My theory is that the USP line is slowly being phased out (Expert, Elite, etc. Maybe the compacts next?) and the Hk 45/P30 will ultimately supplant it. I live in California and the HK 45 is not approved for sale (I know dumb rules but man it's physically a beautiful state) but that will change whenever HK decides to have it certified. I have a feeling as soon as they do so the USP will be cancelled. I think they haven't yet so they can have a product to sell in California because as crazy as it seems it's the biggest market for firearms manufacturers in the country. I hope I'm wrong, I really like the USP.

Anyone with more knowledge on the subject then me (probably all of you) have any theories or info? I'd love to hear them.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Interesting thoughts, but I have a hard time believing that Cali is the biggest market for firearms.....and yes, I have lived there. I do hope however, that the state changes it's policies.

As far as the USP, I personally think that it is here to stay for quite a while. I have no industry knowledge to speak of, but it only makes sense to me....

·
Registered
167 Posts
Negative.

& Born & raised in CA - Love it here, regardless of the Gun Laws.

·
Super Moderator
6,046 Posts
Negative.

& Born & raised in CA - Love it here, regardless of the Gun Laws.
CA is much like NY, beautiful place ruined by the people in it. I love NY, and probably CA, but I will never live there, and I am looking to move out of NY. Either NH or TX. It is a real shame.

Both states hate what I love.......Guns, Cars, and freedom. It is a real shame. Plus NY is right up CA's ass for some reason.

Oh well.

As for the USP series, I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon. Especially because the USP 45 is so popular.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Kaliforniastan has about as much to do with HK's business model as private sales do--NOTHING...

As long as big contracts are being written for the USP series (and they still are) they will continue to build them...Heckler and Koch has ALWAYS been fed by Government contracts and treats civilian customers like scavengers picking at the leftovers--this is largely a positive thing for those of us who will pay extra for a superior platform engineered to the point of being indestructable...the pricetag keeps the average consumer at bay and keeps HK owners few and proud; I know I wear it like a badge of honor since I'm the lone USP owner in a sea of Glock Fanboys around here

The USP is here to stay for the forseeable future...

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I would actually see the P2000/sk series get canned before the USP series pistol.
Agreed and to quote you again I remember you saying "The HK45 does not make the USP obsolete". I agree. While they are almost 99% similar and the newer model HK's have more marketable features i.e. Picitanny rail, ambi slide release, the USPf still has features that are staples on the modern day polymers and one difference between the two that I think is most noticeable is the dual recoil spring in the USPf... makes for better recoil reduction than the plastic buffer in my opinion. So what I'm trying to say is that USP, while not as advanced as the newer HK's, still have the foundations of a hardcore combat pistol while at the same time offering some modern advancements (not as much as the newer HK's obviously).

My personal opinion is that if HK just ever so slightly shaved down the USP a bit and added a Pic rail at the same time while making the HK45... then ALOT of folks would still be buying USP .45's as opposed to the HK45... It's that good. But HK has to make money like everyone else and enter a more "Civilian friendly" pistol(s). While the USP lacks the ability to be used ambi without being setup that way prior to shooting, and lacks the ergonomics of the new line the USP still offers a solid, modern day polymer gun with everything you need and then some. IMO stopping production on the USP line is the equivalent of stopping production of Glock's just because the design is 20+ years old... still works great and has everything a operator needs then some.

·
Registered
818 Posts
CA is much like NY, beautiful place ruined by the people in it. I love NY, and probably CA, but I will never live there, and I am looking to move out of NY. Either NH or TX. It is a real shame.

Both states hate what I love.......Guns, Cars, and freedom. It is a real shame. Plus NY is right up CA's ass for some reason.

Oh well.

As for the USP series, I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon. Especially because the USP 45 is so popular.

Come to Arizona!! Housing is really cheap right now. And you can open carry or conceal carry WITH NO PERMIT AT ALL!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I would actually see the P2000/sk series get canned before the USP series pistol.
I agree. Granted the p2k has a large contract with the border patrol, but as a whole, the usp is more widely used world wide than that series. And until hk makes another deep concealment gun like the sk, it aint goin anywhere either. Hk has basically painted themselves in a corner as faras stopping production on a line. Every line has its faitful civvie following as well as gov/le/mil contracts. What other brand that has this many types of handguns can boast ahout that? Hk all the way!

·
Super Moderator
6,046 Posts
Blasphemer! ..at least for the SK. :0)
I might end up with an SK someday, even though I feel it is too small for my needs. I know of one at a gander mountain that has been there for years. I might go rescue it one day. Date code is 07.

But I see the Regular P2000 being out of place with the P30's out.

I would hate to see them go, but understand it at the same time.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Speaking of rescuing guns, a lgs has a nib 07 date code usp expert .40 . If it was a 45 or 9 ida bought it yesterday. But since im not a fan of 40 im not spending that much. But i do hate to keep seeing the same hk in the case time after time. If i had the money id buy all of God's overlooked children....

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
But I see the Regular P2000 being out of place with the P30's out.
I loved my P2000, but I can see it being canned. Concealment needs easily be met with the USPc... Deep Concealment with the P2000sk... and Service size/concealed carry needs can be met with the P30. I always beleived the P2000 was the redheaded stepchild. Not much need for it while the USPc is still kickin.

·
Registered
311 Posts
It seems to me at least, that German pistols from H&K, Walther, and Sig that are made to win police and military contracts, and win them, stay in production for many many years. I don't think it is going anywhere anytime soon. Pistol designs don't really evolve that much over the years when compared to other manufactured goods. A USP from 1994 is as good as any pistol made today, and in many cases, better.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts