HKPRO Forums banner

G3 .22 conversion kit thoughts? problems?

3470 15
I have had one of these for about a year now. Mine came with the barrel and bolt in great shape, one mag barely used, and one completely beat to hell. I am wondering what other peoples thoughts are on this package? I think it installs and removes easily and is fantastic for saving money, and also for people that want to try the gun out but are terrified of the sounds coming from the .308. (women and children mainly)

My issues originally were the good looking magazine had a million and one problems. Rounds sticking down in the mag, all kinds of things. I determined this is why the mag had virtually no use. The beat up one functioned pretty well, assuming you loaded it carefully. I have done multiple things to both of them and have them both working at "peak" performance now, but I still get one or two stovepipes per mag. I feel like it is the .22 bolts fault. No matter how much I clean and oil it though, it still isn't happening. It's such a complicated piece I hate to modify it too much. Has anyone worked on one of these? It seems to me they extract fine (what a strange extractor right?) but the bolt closes back on it before it gets clear of the ejection port. Like it is kicking it forward into the open breech maybe? or the small .22 bolt isn't moving back far enough? Would love to hear what other people have been through.

Overall though I give it a B+. I'm glad I have it, but I can't imagine the german army liked these things for full auto training. Great practice at clearing jams, though!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
10,011 Posts
Didi you completely disassemble the 22 bolt and carrier? Keep in mind most of this stuff has been sitting around in storage for god knows how long. The oils on my unit looked like varnish when I got it. A complete disassemble and cleaning was the first thing I did before even looking at my gun. Include the mags in the cleaning. Rip'em apart. Use a light oil when reassembling.

What ammo are you using?

· Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have taken apart every molecule of the mags a few times. I think they are as good as they're gonna get. The bolt I took completely apart once when I first got it, like you said it had some syrup applied. It looks nice and clean, it feels like its working mechanically sound. My bolt is in great shape.

Any ideas about ejecting the shell into the open breech and what would cause that?

Could you get 100 rounds through yours without a jam? I really love it, even despite all this. I suppose extra mags are $500 a set, huh?

· Registered
10,011 Posts
Worn extractor... Tom Bowers is making Uzi 22 extractors which are ALMOST identical. There are some Dremel differences which can be handled by anyone that can see. Check the product page on Subguns.com. I've had no issues running 100 rounds straight. I even demo Tom's extractor on Yootoob with my G-3.

· Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know this is ancient, but I finally got around to getting one of those extractors from Bowers and it was perfect. I guess they make them to fit the kits now, because I didn't have to dremel anything. Dropped it right in and solved all my problems. Shattered, as always you remain a wizard. (Just in case anyone has this problem and finds this in a search)

· Registered
5 Posts
I have the HK91 version. It has always worked perfectly. The only mis-fire issues have been ammo related. Other than that, the adapter is perfect. I would like to buy another magazine. Unfortunately, magazines are made of pure unobtainium. I am still looking though. I really enjoy shooting my adapter and hope you get your magazine issues solved. Regards, Johnny Lawson

· Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah those mags are just impossible. I always keep a keen eye at gun shows in the piles of useless G3 mags.

It took a ton of work but I believe I have both mags as close to 100% reliable as I can. There are still a little bit of feed issues, like depending on how many are in there, if I push the bullets down they dont spring back up. But for whatever reason, there's enough force that it seems to feed OK. Those of you who have taken those mags completely apart, it looks like it's just some pistol magazine spot welded inside a mag. I have often wondered if anyone could identify that smaller inner magazine (shattered?) to know if Wolff or someone makes newer, stronger springs. That would probably solve everything.

As it is, they just need a little more love and care than normal. .22 is so dirty.

· Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A G3 compatible .22 drum? Never heard of that, wild. I've tried a lot of .22 and get more or less the same results. They were all terrible before the extractor switch, and all work fine now after.

· Registered
1,459 Posts
I know...thread resurrection...sorry

I have had good results running CCI Mini Mag 40gr through my 22LR Kit. I simply can't find it any more. I've been on backorder for more than a year on some sites, and I can't seem to find it in any quantity.

What other 22LR ammo is hot enough to function this setup? I'd like to run my 22LR kit, but I have nothing to feed it!

Thanks

· Super Moderator
4,250 Posts
I know...thread resurrection...sorry

I have had good results running CCI Mini Mag 40gr through my 22LR Kit. I simply can't find it any more. I've been on backorder for more than a year on some sites, and I can't seem to find it in any quantity.

What other 22LR ammo is hot enough to function this setup? I'd like to run my 22LR kit, but I have nothing to feed it!

Thanks
I have pretty good luck with the Aguila Super Extra Copper-Plated High Velocity stuff. It's not 100% like the CCI Mini-Mags, but pretty damn close. I will admit that the HK33 kit likes the Aguila 100%, but the G3 kit only slightly less so. It's good enough for me though, for when I can't get the CCT Mini-Mags. I've got 5,000 of the Aguila right now and am down to <1,000 of the CCI. Tomorrow I am testing out my second G3 kit in my new PTR91 Classic Wood 16" barrel.

Oh, and check out Bazooka Brothers/A&D for great aftermarket mags for the G3/HK91 .22 kits. They have them in 14-round and 25-round versions, in addition to the drum adapter which was mentioned in a previous post. Nothing makes these kits more fun than having plenty of mags. Now I'm just hoping that someone can come up with some aftermarket mags for the HK33 kits . . .

· Registered
1,105 Posts
I have pretty good luck with the Aguila Super Extra Copper-Plated High Velocity stuff. It's not 100% like the CCI Mini-Mags, but pretty damn close. I will admit that the HK33 kit likes the Aguila 100%, but the G3 kit only slightly less so. It's good enough for me though, for when I can't get the CCT Mini-Mags. I've got 5,000 of the Aguila right now and am down to <1,000 of the CCI. Tomorrow I am testing out my second G3 kit in my new PTR91 Classic Wood 16" barrel.

Oh, and check out Bazooka Brothers/A&D for great aftermarket mags for the G3/HK91 .22 kits. They have them in 14-round and 25-round versions, in addition to the drum adapter which was mentioned in a previous post. Nothing makes these kits more fun than having plenty of mags. Now I'm just hoping that someone can come up with some aftermarket mags for the HK33 kits . . .
Thanks for the info about the ammo and also about the mags. I will have to check out the 14 and 25 round mags I was only aware of the drum adapter.

EDIT: My Google Fu is weak so it took me a while to find the product page and I thought I would post the link.

A&D Entreprises Products:
http://eisman.webhost4life.com/store/page2.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.