HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, tell me about "Rolling your own" Flats. My neighbor is a welder (does it full time), so I could get him to weld it. How difficult is it to bend? do I bend it around a pipe or something the get it welded? any links on how to do this?

Thanks in advance.....

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Do you own any HK 9X series rifles? If not go look at one! Then grab a cheep piece of sheet metal and try to roll it similar to the original. If you do a search on clones you will find that a lot of them are way out of spec and have problems. If metal work is your thing then go for it, or maybe you know someone who can. Either way it is a "play at your own risk" kind of thing. Not saying it is impossible, there are a lot of good builders out there, a lot of them are on this site. I am just saying research it before you go and by a flat and a kit and think it is a simple thing to do. Just looking out for you. There was a guy on another board who did this build and if it doesn't kill him his hospital bill will. Just be careful and know what you are doing, wish you the best!

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
+1 for IMTHESKI... I saw that guy's build photos... YIKES!

Spend the extra $150-$200 buck or so and get yourself a PTR receiver. Even those a slightly out of spec but from what I hav seen/heard, they're the best ones out there. You'll spend more time and frustration that the saving the money is worth.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the answers I wanted.....honest.

I'll look at getting a ready to go receiver then. I have access to some POF parts (barrels, stocks, bolts and trigger packs), so would like to take advantage of the opportunity (sp?).

So which builders would you recommend for converting a FA trigger pack to semi auto?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Look for a safe/semi pack and spend your money there.

I'll look at getting a ready to go receiver then. I have access to some POF parts (barrels, stocks, bolts and trigger packs), so would like to take advantage of the opportunity (sp?).

So which builders would you recommend for converting a FA trigger pack to semi auto?

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts

Correction from my earlier post... if you want what is considered one of the best out there, get a JDL receiver.

Look for a safe/semi pack and spend your money there.
+1 for Mike. The only real reason to get an F/A pack is if you have a registered F/A receiver or a registered sear. If you're going to build a semi-auto gun, save your money and get the semi pack. Also, by doing so, you'll be able to get a trigger housing that will fit right up to the receiver. Select-fire trigger housings will need to be "clipped & pinned" in order for them to be able to be used on a semi receiver; another expense.

On the flip side... if you get a select-fire trigger housing, get it "clipped & pinned", fit an S/A trigger pack into it and have a "paddle" style mag release put on the receiver -- it will look like a F/A gun. If the "cool" factor is what you're after, go for it... but the "cool" factor will probably add $300-$500 to your project costs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts