HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just got a G3 Cleaning kit for my 41 from RTG PARTS and and extra Cleaning wicks. My question is about the wicks, do you use the whole wick through the eye of the pull chain, half way down the wick so it is folded in half when you pull through the bore? seems too big for the bore. I do not want to get it stuck in the barrel. What is the correct way to use these cleaning wicks? I have always used patches. I plan only to use this pull chain and wick in the field when I am Back packing with Rifle. Cleaning rods are too long and a hassle. So what is the correct way?

·
Registered
253 Posts
These cleaning kit are/were used by the Bundeswehr and the German police for all firearms in 7.62 x 51 AND 9 x 19 mm caliber.
The complete bundle of wicks is used, the way you described, only for 9mm. For 7.62 remove 3 or 4 wicks.
Use the plastic-brass-brush with a little oil first. The plastic only brush was used with a little oil again after cleaning to preserve the barrel.

The plastic-brass-brush does not work if you want to remove anything else than dirt. It's only a field cleaning kit. The armourer has the bronze brushes and steel rods for extensive cleaning.

Be careful useing the chain, it tend to cant and then stuck into the chamber. Be aware that the chain is elongated (?) before the eye enters the chamber.
It's wise to use the chain only when the flashider is still installed. To protect the barrel, the steel cain has this tun shaped aluminum covers. Without the flashhider it's possible that the aluminum find it's way to the edge of the muzzle.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts