1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I stumbled on a page with this beauty:

G3.jpg G3-2.jpg

It is an original factory cutaway of a Portugal contract G3. Does anybody here have any info on how many, why, where and when these cutaways are made? Also, what is the history behind Portuguese-manufactured G3s?

Regards,

MEERKOOS

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the site--- do you own this, in addition to the Stgw57 cutaway??? :biggrin:

Tony
Thanks. You got me there Tony! I would love to own this unicorn. These are pictures from a disgruntled collector who wants to sell this unicorn to me. However, I cannot price check in this forum. What do you know about these objects?

MEERKOOS

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To be honest, I have never seen an FMP cutaway, or one for sale!!! :biggrin:

Tony
Hmm... I guess that response justifies the hefty price tag. Haha!

It would be nice to hear the opinion of other members who might have information on these cutaways.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Markings might tell us where this was made. It could have been made in Germany and provided to Portugal - hard to say without seeing the markings.
These cutaways are made before the parts are hardened, in Oberndorf by the apprentices as one of their training assignments. Therefore they are special order and usually very expensive, in very short supply and collectible.
G3Kurz

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Markings might tell us where this was made. It could have been made in Germany and provided to Portugal - hard to say without seeing the markings.
These cutaways are made before the parts are hardened, in Oberndorf by the apprentices as one of their training assignments. Therefore they are special order and usually very expensive, in very short supply and collectible.
G3Kurz
Very interesting info G3Kurz. This is truly an unicorn that I am very tempted to buy. Also, are the parts still heat-treated after the cutaway operation? Or is the steel left soft?

Markings are "G3 FMP 402304 2/91" (pictures below). I suppose "2/91" is the date of production, but not sure.

I'd love to see a high resolution picture of the cut away side.
Here they are. Truly a beautiful cutaway job.

00003_G3-Didactique-fabrique-sous-licence-au-Portugal-G3-cutaway.jpg 00004_G3-Didactique-fabrique-sous-licence-au-Portugal-G3-cutaway.jpg 00005_G3-Didactique-fabrique-sous-licence-au-Portugal-G3-cutaway.jpg

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
In the US, yes. However, in Europe, this is no longer considered a firearm, which is nice since I am based there.
Nah,
Europe is big. And legislature still differs, a lot. I guess you'd still need a permit in Germany...
As you said: in France it's a replica, in Switzerland it's just a limp of metal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nah,
Europe is big. And legislature still differs, a lot. I guess you'd still need a permit in Germany...
As you said: in France it's a replica, in Switzerland it's just a limp of metal.
Yes, sorry. Shouldn't have said "Europe". Also, I did not know that you needed a permit for a cutaway model in Germany.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Yes, sorry. Shouldn't have said "Europe". Also, I did not know that you needed a permit for a cutaway model in Germany.
The more you ask, the more different answers you get. Seems to depend on the proof house that checks the gun. Most gunsmiths that regularly neuter guns make changes that would deactivate the gun completely (demilled bolt face, plugged barrel, firing mechanism deactivated) as per current european regulations.
Most 'regular' cutaways for sale are subject to acquisition permits...
Gray area, especially in these times of nee and proposed legislation.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Make sure it is also 922r compliant!

All kidding aside, that's a very cool display item well worthy in a collection.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The more you ask, the more different answers you get. Seems to depend on the proof house that checks the gun. Most gunsmiths that regularly neuter guns make changes that would deactivate the gun completely (demilled bolt face, plugged barrel, firing mechanism deactivated) as per current european regulations.
Most 'regular' cutaways for sale are subject to acquisition permits...
Gray area, especially in these times of nee and proposed legislation.
I agree. The EU really is in full knee-jerk right now because of the terror attacks, and they are even threatening Swiss gun rights because it is part of the Schengen area! Anyways, legislation and politics aside, let's enjoy these wonderful mechanical devices, while we still can... Thanks for the info!

Make sure it is also 922r compliant!

All kidding aside, that's a very cool display item well worthy in a collection.
Haha! Thanks for your input. This sure will make a great mantelpiece. I am really starting to seriously considering purchasing this G3, to further augment my cutaway gun collection.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I agree. ... I am really starting to seriously considering purchasing this G3, to further augment my cutaway gun collection.
I did some searching last night and found the listing for this gun but refrained from posting the additional photos, I see you have them up now.
How does this compare in price to other cutaway military style guns in the EU and how often do they come up for sale? ...I think you should buy it : )

As others have mentioned, being this was built in '91, it would be a post sample here and probably reflect that in the value. Apples and oranges when trying to put a price on the same piece and what it's worth in the EU vs. the US.

The last cutaway I saw listed publicly here was an early semi auto CETME. This particular rifle was on a cover of a gun publication back in 1967.
Asking price on that was almost 4 times the price of the FMP your looking at. I don't know if the CETME sold or not.

·
Banned
34,579 Posts
I did some searching last night and found the listing for this gun but refrained from posting the additional photos, I see you have them up now.
How does this compare in price to other cutaway military style guns in the EU and how often do they come up for sale? ...I think you should buy it : )

As others have mentioned, being this was built in '91, it would be a post sample here and probably reflect that in the value. Apples and oranges when trying to put a price on the same piece and what it's worth in the EU vs. the US.

The last cutaway I saw listed publicly here was an early semi auto CETME. This particular rifle was on a cover of a gun publication back in 1967.
Asking price on that was almost 4 times the price of the FMP your looking at. I don't know if the CETME sold or not.
GUNS Magazine (11-67)--- and it did not sell (on site)!!! :biggrin:

Tony

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Yes, this truly is very tempting. I have seen two G3 cutaway models pop up before, and all on Hermann Historica, a German auction house. One was sold in November 2013 for 3200 Euros and seemed to be an original German cutaway (link here). It's incredible how scarce these things are! Thanks for the info!

GUNS Magazine (11-67)--- and it did not sell (on site)!!! :biggrin:

Tony
I'm not surprised. That is truly a ridiculous price, but since it is sold in the US, this is partially justifiable.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts