HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm fairly new to the G3/HK33/93 arena. As an avid admirer of "classic" military firearms I'm thinking one of these will be my next build.

I have some similar questions on another thread but I am expanding my questions here on this one so please forgive me if you read the other thread and are reading this one as well.

My understanding is that it is prohibited to convert a semi-only firearm to F/A. So what is this I'm seeing (here and on various other websites) people looking for F/A parts for their HK93's? Isn't the 93 the semi-only variant of the 33? I was wanting to covert my SL8/G36 to F/A but was informed by the ATF (as well as my State Police) that this was illegal. Wouldn't this apply to an HK93 receiver as well?

My primary reason for asking is that I would like to do the build with as many genuine HK parts as possible... most importantly the receiver. To do a F/A rifle, my understanding is that I would need to purchase a pre-1986 registered HK33 receiver which I would imagine would command a steep price.

Additionally, would it be difficult to locate a genuine HK G3 receiver if I decided to do a G3 build?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,379 Posts
You need to do more reading on the subject of the National Firearms Act, as well as the HK family of weapons. I would recommend starting here: http://www.hkpro.com/hkconversions.htm which will give you a LOT of excellent information. There are basically three categories of full-auto weapons: (1) transferrable; (2) pre-samples; & (3) post-samples. When you stated "pre-1986", I'm pretty certain that you are referring to the first category. The more you read up, the more interesting the subject will become.

·
Atta' Boy!!
575 Posts
Need to buy a registered sear pack first then build up the "host", carefully!

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
A full auto registered receiver transferable G3 can be found now for around $12,000 or so, plus at least one or two $200 transfer taxes.

And you're right, a similar HK33 will be a little bit more as they are more rare.

You could also buy a transferable sear and then use it on an MP5, G3, or HK33 if you get one of them in semi-auto to use as a host for your sear. Current prices on sears is around $13,000 - $14,000 right now, with the same transfer taxes.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great! Thanks for the info!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts