HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking in and out for a semi auto .308 rifle for a decent price, which also includes a hefty price of the SpecterDR optic for $2000. I see good prices for the PTR rifles between $900 and $1200. I am looking to use the rifle up to 300m or 400m. I am curious of the MOA itself. I want someone to tell me their experience of using a PTR G3 rifle at 300m and 400m with irons or glass. I considered the Century Arms C308 but heard its MOA was "disappointing". I also want to add that I never used a G3 pattern rifle before.

·
Registered
914 Posts
With the floating handguard, roller-locked bolt, the G3 platform is capable of single MOA performance within certain constraints.

1...It has an 18" barrel, so 150gr (approx) bullets are optimum. Heavier bullets result in wasted powder burn and muzzle flash. No harm in using them, but no benefit.

2...It is first and foremost a battle rifle. Trigger refinement is necessary to achieve that targeting ability.

3...A correct scope with very short eye relief is necessary. A package 4X military unit by Hendsoldt is available and works very well if you can live with the lower magnification.
Most available good optics with higher power have such long relief that they are practically unusable due to the overall length interfering with the charging handle operation if set forward enough to be seen through. A very good but rare scope is the Schmidt & Bender "Sniper" 1.5-6X42 model.

4...The traditional mounting system is a removable steel claw system, with versions supporting both STANAG and 30mm rings. Various aftermarket mounts are available, but with limited success. PTR now markets their 91's with an integral welded-on rail, allowing a much cheaper alternative to mounting glass, but the same eye relief requirements still apply.

Dennis

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats some good info but that idea of the charging handle interfering with the sight picture has me thinking second. Kinda thinking the claw mount would be the only solution to it. Maybe the PTR G.I. with the claw mount might be the only way to go for me and price range.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Absent trigger and other work most of the G3/HK91/PTR91 rifles are a 2-3 MOA weapon with non-match ammo.

These are a battle rifle design and not a sniper weapon.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Absent trigger and other work most of the G3/HK91/PTR91 rifles are a 2-3 MOA weapon with non-match ammo.

These are a battle rifle design and not a sniper weapon.
It also depends upon the individual Rifle. I have a PTR91K that does 2-3 moa but my PTR91-GI and HK91 will easily do 1.5 moa. Unfortunately every Gun is somewhat different.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
It also depends upon the individual Rifle. I have a PTR91K that does 2-3 moa but my PTR91-GI and HK91 will easily do 1.5 moa. Unfortunately every Gun is somewhat different.
Agreed, which is why I stated "most" of the rifles and not "all" of them.

·
Registered
914 Posts
The G3 sight is a diopter, not a peep like on a FAL.

You have to choke up close to it and see an equidistant ring of light around the outside of the front ring, bisecting your target with the blade tip.

I'm surprised how many HK shooters don't do this.

Dennis

·
Registered
101 Posts
I use a standard PTR 91F with a Vortex Spitfire 3x and a Bill Springfield trigger job. Using my Normal match grade ammo Hornady steel match 308 155GR BTHPs I can achieve about 1.5 MOA when I don't mess up the groups. I am consistently under 2 MOA though. I highly recommend Both the ammo and that optic. I had a Trijicon ACOG on there but with the huge chevron reticle I couldn't get the groups. Switched to the Vortex which both mounted lower and had a .5 MOA reticle.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Have you ever shot the 91 with the irons?

I've never been able to use the irons on the HK91. Even with 20/20 vision. Give me a FAL and I'll give you a 2 inch group I can't even come close to that with a HK91. :frown:
I don't like the irons on the HK91 myself, The FAL sights are pretty good but the M1/M1a/M14 are the best. It doesn't matter for me as just about all my (shooter) Rifles have some type of optic installed. I like (and need) magnification @ > 100 Yds.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The G3 sight is a diopter, not a peep like on a FAL.

You have to choke up close to it and see an equidistant ring of light around the outside of the front ring, bisecting your target with the blade tip.

I'm surprised how many HK shooters don't do this.

Dennis
That's because if you creep up on it the hump in the stock punches you in the face.:690:

·
Registered
75 Posts
G-3 battlesight zero w/ + or - 147gr 7.62x51mm NATO - Set rear sight on "2" (200m). Set target @ 30m.

Adjust rear sight so that POI=POA @ 30m.

To hit a man size target at 100, 300 and 400, rotate rear sight to 1, 3 or 4.

Simple

1 - 20 of 26 Posts