HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a G3 (91 w/ reg. sear). I think the date code is early 80's, and I am not the original owner, so unknown round count but I've put a few thousand through it. I am considering re-barreling; not just because of wear on the barrel (I am sure there is some) but because I want something a little heavier than stock, and something a little more suppressor-friendly.

I'd like to find the best and most cost-effective solution first and foremost, while maintaining HK specs if feasible. For this reason I am considering using an SR9 barrel, but I have a few concerns:

- Will I still be able to use the factory triple frame sight tower, or will I have to get an SR9-specific one?
- The SR9 barrel is nice and accurate, but here is the big caveat: I want to be able to use this for full-auto fire as well. Is it a waste of a good barrel doing this? I am also considering a PTR heavy barrel so I won't feel so bad about abusing it.

I am also probably going to build out a G3K to be my sear host, making this less of an issue. Opinions?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I would try to keep the 91 original IMO. Also take into consideration the SR9 barrel has polygonal rifling vs land/groove. The SR9 would have to be threaded as well. I personally think I would keep an SR9 barrel for use in something more semi only since they're a little more target/accuracy type barrels and they are not coming into the country anymore. I would probably save the money and put it into a G3K. PTR K3P and install a full auto carrier and call it a day for best cost ratio, or get together some parts and send one off to a builder of your liking.

The only thing with the K3P is PTR uses a larger profile barrel all the way through so a standard HK91 tripe tree w/ grenade ring will not fit unless the barrel is turned down slightly or you replace it with a CHF RCM barrel. Personally it still might be worth the while to swap a RCM barrle in there. the CHF barrel will be much stronger for full auto use. Even with the cost of the K3P, barrel & parts, and labor its still probably going to be cheaper than piecing together a build

·
Registered
691 Posts
Buy a PTR as s cheap sear host to satisfy your desire for a heavier barrel. Factory German HKs deserve to be kept as-is or made into factory-correct conversions (i.e. G3 or G3k). The PTR host will probably cost about the same as it will cost you to rebarrel and refinish your 91.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I think I may go with an SR9 bbl for the hk91. I have an Interport/FMP clone (actually a Special Weapons SW3!!) that I'll probably convert to G3K for the sear host.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts