HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased an G3 rifle (assembled by Ohio Rapid Fire) and it appears my rear sight drum wobbles a little bit horizontally, essentially making it impossible to sight in and hold zero. I wrote an email to the guy that handles their G3's with some basic questions about how to go about fixing it. I finally got a response and it was rather brief.

My email:
Hello Sir,

I purchased a G3 rifle made by ORF. While familiarizing
myself with it, I noticed that the rear sight drum has some side-to-side wobble in it. I have been informed that the sight should not wobble and that it is likely missing one of the springs or balls that are installed in the sight. I do have an HK rear sight tool and the rear drum rotates properly.

Can you please advise me on how to go about correcting this issue? Should I remove the rear sight and check for any balls or springs which may be missing?

If so, this is something I could probably fix myself if you send me the parts. Would I remove the rear drum sight by completely unscrewing it counterclockwise with the adjustment tool? Please let me know.

Thank you
The response:
There should be a small spring then a detent ball. The ball may be stuck, use a small punch and push on it to engage, then reassemble.
Does this make sense? Do I access the spring and ball by rotating the drum all the way until it comes off? Is there 2 springs and 2 balls in there or is it just one of each?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Is the screw holding down the sight assembly to the sight base tight? If not, this would cause horizonal shift. The Response that you got pertains to the rotation of the drum- if it was stuck and wouldn't rotate the reply would work, but I don't see how it pertains to horizonal sight base movement.

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
If it's just the drum that's wobbling, it's easy to fix. Just remove the hold down screw on the top of the sight base, then completely unscrew the windage adjustment screw. It won't come out, it is captured by the sight body. Once it turns freely, just pull the sight up, or right, whichever you want and it will come off. There is (or should be) a spring under there that pushes against a tiny ball. That spring force is what holds the drum in the detent position.

If the spring is there, you clean the ball hole up and it still wobbles, get with robertrtg.com, I think he has the entire sight base for something like $12 or so.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's just the drum that wobbles, not the entire sight base. I'll take a crack at it this weekend when I'm not so tired.

·
Banned
27 Posts
Is there a definitive "rear sight installation" video or instructions somewhere? I've got a new rear sight assembly to install and I don't want to mess anything up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts