HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother wants to sell me his HK91. I think we shot a mag through it the day he got it and it's been in his safe since. I'm thinking of buying it, but I like all my rifles to be able to take a lot of rounds.

Specifically, I'm wondering how many rounds fired the receiver can take before it's past its service life. Does anyone know?

·
Premium Member
8,652 Posts
All of the wear takes place in the barrel, trunnion, rollers, recoil spring, and buffer.

There are MP5's documented to have fired over 500,000 rounds. I have no reason to believe an HK91 receiver isn't capable of the same. You may wear out other parts beyond repair, but not the receiver.

·
Registered
10,275 Posts
I came close. Before I became "aware" of bolt gap and what it involved, it seems I loosened the four stock reinforcement rings in the receiver... actually hammered them loose with a very low bolt gap (actually, close to zero bolt gap).

On the other hand... Wayne L. Burnham blew his 51 almost in two. The gun almost completely separated by the mag well. Don't know if you could count that as "wearing it out" tho'... In his case he had a cartridge let go which helped immensely. Still, I've seen other case blowups in 91s... and all that happened was the receiver expanded in the mag well area big enough to drop a tennis ball into comfortably. So his receiver had to have been stretched... or thinned out... or something. It shouldn't have separated like it did.

As far as a "distant non-verifiable internet rumor" goes, this one is very verifiable... check the archives of Subguns. They even made a "Meet & Greet" name sticker featuring Wayne's gun for one of the Creeks.

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
As far as a "distant non-verifiable internet rumor" goes, this one is very verifiable... check the archives of Subguns. They even made a "Meet & Greet" name sticker featuring Wayne's gun for one of the Creeks.
There is a HUGE difference between damage due to an out of battery detonation/case failure VS wear. Wear is what the OP was asking about.

·
Registered
10,275 Posts
Heh... it wasn't an OOB. HKs won't go boom with a chamber not closed all the way. This was a closed chamber kboom... which should have just mushroomed the receiver and mag well open far enough to hold a tennis ball. In this case, left hand was holding front end/barrel, right hand was holding pistol grip/back half of receiver. Unless something metallurgical was happening, that shouldn't have happened.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
My brother wants to sell me his HK91. I think we shot a mag through it the day he got it and it's been in his safe since. I'm thinking of buying it, but I like all my rifles to be able to take a lot of rounds.
Specifically, I'm wondering how many rounds fired the receiver can take before it's past its service life. Does anyone know?
Figure you are good for many dozen cases of ammo, with the current street price of ammo running over $10 per box of twenty, then you will have spent near the cost of a compact car before having to worry about getting you HK91 refurbed and good to go again. Unless you have a sear and more ammo than Shattered had in the 90's, don't think you will have much to worry about ;-).

P.S. Barrel life of hammer forged barrels tend to be excellent ... but again barrels are expendable in my world and just cost a few beers to change ;-).

·
Registered
10,275 Posts
Including this one, I've heard on one in 15 years.
There were a couple others... back in the late eighties/early nineties a bad batch of 308 came up from South America and popped a couple including a 21. Waxed a few M-60s as well. Tried to pop a couple A4s but it's pretty hard to kill an A4. What was that stuff, CAVIM? Way over powered... most likely came from Paragon... who recovered it out of a C-47 in an Ecuadorian or Columbian jungle. Just "blow" the cocaine off and ship the ammo north, eh?

·
Vendor
8,218 Posts
Well, I'm going to assume that he bought the gun new? If that's the case, and you guys only shot one mag through it, I'd pass. After that many rounds, you'd be lucky to get even another 1/2 mag through it. There's no way you'll get a lot of rounds through a gun that has already had one full mag through it. It was a full mag right? I'd have him put it up for sale here. Some sucker will buy it if the price is low enough.

·
Registered
346 Posts
It was chilean. I had one blow up in my FAL. The gun survived but the magazine blew apart. I think I read somewhere that FALs have a path for over pressure rounds to escape and it seems to have worked.

There were a couple others... back in the late eighties/early nineties a bad batch of 308 came up from South America and popped a couple including a 21. Waxed a few M-60s as well. Tried to pop a couple A4s but it's pretty hard to kill an A4. What was that stuff, CAVIM? Way over powered... most likely came from Paragon... who recovered it out of a C-47 in an Ecuadorian or Columbian jungle. Just "blow" the cocaine off and ship the ammo north, eh?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Here is a thought about G3/H&K 91 life from a different perspective, Barrel life.

A regular American 308 barrel will usually hold sniper rifle accuracy to between 4 and 5 thousand rounds.

A hammerforged German/Austrian barrel will hold sniper rifle accuracy to around 7500 rounds. [Steyr SSG]

I would expect a H&K barrel, in non full auto fire to go around 7500 rounds as well.

Now the above is for sniper rifle accuracy...

You could almost double it for Assault Rifle accuracy. Again this depends on how much sustained fire you do, and if you do not damage the barrel by cleaning or NOT cleaning...

So being conservative, less say a H&K 91 barrel will give good service, as a Battle Rifle, for a Civilian, to 10,000 rounds.

So, baised on the life of the reciever/trunion and other parts, is it feasable to have the whole gun rebuilt at say the 10,000 round mark???

And if so, how long will the reciever actually go???

Now 10,000 rounds can sound like a lot, but I have been to some schools, usually shooting a M16, or AR 15, where we fired 1000 rounds a day. For 5 to 10 days straight...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Well, I'm going to assume that he bought the gun new? If that's the case, and you guys only shot one mag through it, I'd pass. After that many rounds, you'd be lucky to get even another 1/2 mag through it. There's no way you'll get a lot of rounds through a gun that has already had one full mag through it. It was a full mag right? I'd have him put it up for sale here. Some sucker will buy it if the price is low enough.
Ok I am a sucker. I will let you force me to buy the HK91 for $500 given the condition it is in....:2300000:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Agreed that it's not something to worry about.

500,000 rounds for an MP5 is a ridiculous amount. 500,000 G3 rounds would cost a quarter of a million dollars. You are likely never to reach such a round count if you could afford over 100 HK 91's or 200 PTR-91's.

·
Registered
10,275 Posts
500,000 rounds for an MP5 is a ridiculous amount. 500,000 G3 rounds would cost a quarter of a million dollars.
You're new to this, aren't you... because if you've been around awhile you'd have remembered it wasn't even a scant 10 years ago we were buying centerfire rifle ammo for as little as 2 cents a round... 3.5 cents a round for the brandy new stuff... that's like only $10 grand.

The Bulgarian 308 I still have was bought at .02 cents a round... was shipped in 1K lots in cardboard boxes, 40 boxes to the pallet. Boxes were so beat, they almost didn't look like square boxes anymore, but it came in and the neighbor across the street "received" them for me. He thought they were tile... and broken. He never did pop one open...

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
You're new to this, aren't you... because if you've been around awhile you'd have remembered it wasn't even a scant 10 years ago we were buying centerfire rifle ammo for as little as 2 cents a round... 3.5 cents a round for the brandy new stuff... that's like only $10 grand.

The Bulgarian 308 I still have was bought at .02 cents a round... was shipped in 1K lots in cardboard boxes, 40 boxes to the pallet. Boxes were so beat, they almost didn't look like square boxes anymore, but it came in and the neighbor across the street "received" them for me. He thought they were tile... and broken. He never did pop one open...
When was the two cents a round Bulgarian 308? More recently one of the guys picked up a truck load to save the shipping fees (having a CDL and knowing someone with a trucking firm helps ....).

·
Registered
10,275 Posts
When was the two cents a round Bulgarian 308?
2002, made the deal at the Creek. Was boxed loose... steel cased, copper warshed, corrosive (natch), and mildly corroded. Lost maybe 1% due to rust... that was broken down to components... used the bullets only. Recycled the steel, powder went into the garden. Still have some 30 cases left. Each round must be inspected... can't just grab and go. Still... for 2 cents...

The 3.5 cents a round 8mm was a much better deal. The Turk ammo I got from Century was 100% usable, had a buyer for the steel stripper clips, and the brass cases bring MUCH more $$ at the scrap yard. Plus Century picks up the shipping tab when the order cost goes over $500, so that was a no-brainer... Had a very pleasant, fat Teamster roll three pallets of Turk 8mm into the garage right off a lift gate semi.

The 5 cent a round Yugo 8mm wasn't as cheap as the Turk, but at least you didn't have to check the rounds for cracks before belting them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.