HKPRO Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so based on my other thread, asking about the G3 compared to the Hk-33, it seems as though the 7.62 (.308) fans are very passionate and voiceiferous about the awesome power of the 7.62 NATO cartridge. So, that said, what if we now compare the German's G3 to the US's M-14 (M1A).

I had a "loaded" M1A that was a sweet gun......compared to my SR9(s) it did not perform well at all. And both are essentially "battle rifles" if you ask me.

So, how about some input.....if you had to pick either an M-14 or a G3, which one would you choose??????

Thanks again for everyone's input, it's much appreciated as always!!!!

---Brian (BMS)
:D

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm no expert and only have limited experience actually firing both the HK91 and M1A. Personally, I've found the M1A (M14) to be more accurate and have a better trigger. It also balances better in my hands. The HK91 is heavier, but more rugged and robust. The HK91 feels more like a battle rifle to me, but that's purely subjective. Obviously the M1A has no pistol grip and is not like a traditional assault rifle. Also, the HK91 recoils more since it's a delayed blowback rather than a gas operated weapon. The HK91 can be a huge pain in the ass to field strip when the extractor spring is still very tight. After it loosens some with use, it's easy. I'm talking about stripping the bolt assembly of course. Overall, I'd guess it's personal preference. At this point in time however, I'd say the HK91 is much more collectable and worth more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have not tried the M14 so I cannot really say anything about the pro and cons of the m14 rifle. But I have a Hk91 and it's definatly a greate rifle in any ways. I use my Hk91 in ipsc shooting and performe greate. The power of the 7.62 shine trough in the longer range when you are shooting steel targets and might hit low. It almost does not matter how good you hit is and the target still goes down. The recoil of the G3 rifle is not bad at all and you can still shot relatively fast. Rifle design is greate, with freefloating barrel. The only drawback with the g3 rifle is that is only has 20shot mag, but still I hit better with my g3 that with my other 223 rifles. And when the range gets alittle better you aim more than at close range. Usually one shot is enough to get the targets down.

Field stipping the G3 is no problem when the rifle is used. My Hk91 is not used that much as I only boght it a few years ago and the last owners mostly stored it in their safe. Because of the little use the stripping the bolt can be a pain if you "screw up" when you put it together ;) . this is no problem with the more used rifles. We use the G3 in the army where I live and my old service rifle I could strip and put together in about one minute.

Because it, without any doubt, is a greate rifle, have a pistol grip, an good diopter sight that is calibrated from 100-400m that really works. I would definatly grab the G3/hk91 over an M14 if I need to "hit the woods" or going to a ipsc match.

I don't really belive the M14 has any better accuracy than the g3 with me shooting my surplus ammo. As long as I can with my first shot and the next 19 shots at a std. ipsc target at a known distance out to 500m I'm more than happy with the performance of a semi auto rifle "battle rifle" :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have no experience at all with the G3 but do own an m14 clone which really performs. The only comment I would make is that a rifle in standard configuraton as opposed to one with a pistol grip is much easier to reverse and smack (butt stroke) an opponent under the chin. A small advantage maybe and I guess it all depends on what you want from your "battle" rifle. I also have to say here that if I was ever in a situation where I had to use my rifle as a club it'd probably be all over.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Ive used both of these rifles a good bit. In my opinion, the M14 is a better target rifle "out of the box" while the G3 is a better battle/military rifle. The M14 has a better trigger(without much work) and better iron sights. The G3 is far more rugged and easier to maintain. I personally find the G3 to be much more handy, but thats a personal preference. The G3 is also more modular, you can swap out stocks, forends etc fairly easily. Both rifles are a pain to scope. If I had to choose an all around rifle, the G3 would be it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, guys, for your detailed replies. They are much appreciated. I was very excited when I bought my M1A a few years ago, but after shooting it a few times I began to worry that it needed some serious work. I am by no means an expert shooter, but I had a terrible time hitting the target with it at 50 yards. 100 yards was a nigtmare. I remember putting it down and picking up my shooter-grade SR9 and blowing the holes out of the target at 50 yards and making nice tight groups at 100 yards. I was thinking that my case was just an isolated one. That said, I sold the M1A and bought another SR9....what a surprise ;)

·
Registered
732 Posts
The only comment I would make is that a rifle in standard configuraton as opposed to one with a pistol grip is much easier to reverse and smack (butt stroke) an opponent under the chin.
I think the Range Officers at my IPSC matches would probably dq a person for buttstroking a fellow competitor under the chin. And I suspect anybody who did this would be arrested and go to jail too.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Thank you, guys, for your detailed replies. They are much appreciated. I was very excited when I bought my M1A a few years ago, but after shooting it a few times I began to worry that it needed some serious work. I am by no means an expert shooter, but I had a terrible time hitting the target with it at 50 yards. 100 yards was a nigtmare. I remember putting it down and picking up my shooter-grade SR9 and blowing the holes out of the target at 50 yards and making nice tight groups at 100 yards. I was thinking that my case was just an isolated one. That said, I sold the M1A and bought another SR9....what a surprise ;)
To me the ring inside a ring with a post is a more intuitive sight than the post in a ring offered by the M14. I do like the windage adjustment of the M14, but again one can also hold off into the wind a fair bit with either of these rifles and still get good hits.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an HK91, an M1A, and an FN-Fal. The HK91 has a rear sight that I can't adapt too, feels heavy and poorly balanced, kicks a lot, and has a terrible trigger pull. The M1A has more of a traditional rifle feel, has a great trigger pull and sights, it fits me better and I tend to shoot it better. The FN is the most ergonomic, easiest to strip for cleaning, easiest to maintain, has acceptable sights and trigger. If I had to choose one it would be the FAL, thank goodness I don't have to limit myself though. They are all different, and all will do the job, and I could be content with any of them.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have an HK91, an M1A, and an FN-Fal. The HK91 has a rear sight that I can't adapt too, feels heavy and poorly balanced, kicks a lot, and has a terrible trigger pull. The M1A has more of a traditional rifle feel, has a great trigger pull and sights, it fits me better and I tend to shoot it better. The FN is the most ergonomic, easiest to strip for cleaning, easiest to maintain, has acceptable sights and trigger. If I had to choose one it would be the FAL, thank goodness I don't have to limit myself though. They are all different, and all will do the job, and I could be content with any of them.
+1

I hate to say this, especially considering this is "HK" Pro, but my vote is the FN FAL also.
Buy a G3 if you have a H&K Auto Sear and you are looking for a bunch of host weapons.
If the plan is semi auto, the FN FAL is vey hard to beat.

Well balanced and feels lighter overall, easier to clean, mags engage great and about the same accuracy as the G3.
The forearm on the FAL heats up quicker, but this is easily fixed.

By the way, the M1's are great but way to heavy for me.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
+1

I hate to say this, especially considering this is "HK" Pro, but my vote is the FN FAL also.
Buy a G3 if you have a H&K Auto Sear and you are looking for a bunch of host weapons.
If the plan is semi auto, the FN FAL is vey hard to beat.

Well balanced and feels lighter overall, easier to clean, mags engage great and about the same accuracy as the G3.
The forearm on the FAL heats up quicker, but this is easily fixed.

By the way, the M1's are great but way to heavy for me.
Yeah, but full-auto FN-FALs are a bargain compared to an HK sear. About $6000-$7000 will get you a complete setup. But at this point, I think the HK sears are a better investment. I'm not sure how the fn sears have been appreciating.

·
Super Moderator
4,384 Posts
How can a rifle be "ergonomic" when it caters ONLY to right-handers? (ALL FAL's have the safety on the wrong side)

At least with the HK/HK clones I can get an ambi lower group . . . ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,384 Posts
Yeah, but full-auto FN-FALs are a bargain compared to an HK sear. About $6000-$7000 will get you a complete setup. But at this point, I think the HK sears are a better investment. I'm not sure how the fn sears have been appreciating.
Dave, I haven't seen any FA transferrable FAL's for that low--only the FNC's. If you want a transferrable FA FN-FAL, I think you'll find the price currently is between 12K and 17K.

·
Registered
306 Posts
No pistol grip = no thanks
I love FALs and G3s, but that big ol' hunk of wood does make a nice club.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think your correct on the price of the transferable FN FAL. I sold a Pre Sample FN FAL Para a few years ago in the 7500.00 area.

I also prefer the FN FAL to the M1A or even the HK G3 / HK91 Semi auto rifle.

But I would expand the list to a few more than just those 3. My list would be as follows with the preference from the top down.

1 FN FAL 50.41 or FN 50.63.
2 HK G3/ HK-91.
3 SIG AMT / 510-4
4 GALIL 308 ARM.
5 RESERVED.
6 M1A.

Dave, I haven't seen any FA transferable FAL's for that low--only the FNC's. If you want a transferable FA FN-FAL, I think you'll find the price currently is between 12K and 17K.

·
Registered
121 Posts

My vote
1. FN FAL
2. G3
3. Galil-308
4. M14

The FAL is the easiest to control FA.

·
Registered
9 Posts
No I wish the SIG AMT is a rifle I owned long before the California AWB BS but I turned it a long time ago. I originally bought two SIG rifles from Martin B Retting in Culver City California back in 1986 or there about I also bought a Howco imported FN 5063 that also had a Gun South trussville AL, Stamp on the receiver. I still own the FN-5063 but both the SIG AMT and the SIG in 7.5 swiss have been a long time out of my safe sad to say.

In California we can have a few actual name brand Rifles like the FN 5063, But we cant have the FN 5064. The Galil 308-ARM Provided its the MR import and not the AA import.

We can also have a few actual variants of the HK rifles like the HK-41 and the HK-43 but not the HK91/Hk93. My favorite Rifle that I have ever owned is a FN FAL G Series GL Below is a pic of one that looks just like the one I owned. Beside the FN FAL is a pic of what my SIG Rifle looked like.

Fun stuff huh?

I like this list with the 50.63 and the G3 running neck and neck.

Is that your AMT Sam?
What a beauty!

:D

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Years ago picked the HK91 with a auto sear over the non-HB FAL based on shooting the HK91 with a really good muzzle brake (either option was similar in price, several thousand back then).

With out the muzzle brake on the the HK, then the FAL was slightly better on full auto but the FAL (which I could not get the same muzzle brake for), however, the FAL was a little more picky on having the gas setting correct with different ammo and/or when very dirty (or at least the FAL had more of a learning curve). Besides I already had the HK91, which I had paid $385 for - so for a couple grand had a full auto rifle, with the purchase of a sear, carrier, pack and housing.

More recently I had a chance to trade into a SA M14, which while working nicely on semi - was way too fast on full, plus climbed to easily to be that interesting (one really needs to keep the rounds on the back stop 100% of the time in the mid west). When I sold several years ago, it was hard to find anyone interested to purchase it, even for several grand under "internet price" ... of course a year or two later the M14s double in price ... ;-(.

I still have an old pre-ban SA M1A with bayonet lug and a couple FALs in semi to shoot (the medium heavy barrel DSA being a favorite extra gun to take to a shoot, just to shoot ...), and every so often I wish that I had a full auto FAL to make into a HB version, however, more often just wish I had purchased the uncut M60 and BAR for under $4K each, but that is a different thread for a different board.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.