HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some feedback on wear around the ejection port on Tommy Built G36's. I have not shot mine that much and pretty much only show some minor wear on the shell deflector. I am wondering how others have fared? I am desiring to shoot my G36C a lot more than I currently do but I am very concerned about the brass wearing on the edges of the port. I also know there will probably be a difference in wear on the older "weld" versions (which is what I have) vs. the newest injection molded receivers. Any feedback of either type especially by those who have put many rounds downrange with them would be greatly appreciated. Pictures of any wear would be even better to help me decide the way forward.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
My HK SL8-1 / G36K SBR has thousands of rounds through it. The receiver was originally gray, but was dyed and painted black, so the wear on mine is down to the original (actual) nylon color. Mine seemed to wear to a certain point, then stop. Not sure if the nylon where the rounds eject compacts or what over time, who knows. But aside for a little gouging it has has for years, it doesn't seem to be getting any worse.

Some people use felt tape and similar over the ejection port, but it looks goofy, I'd say just run it as-is. Some honest wear looks good on a firearm anyways, in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
@P7M8fiend I had this on mine G36 re-welded guns built by Tom but its nothing to be worried about unless its a deep gouge, crack, or complete break in which case you need a pro to fix it.

However what you describe is a relatively easy to fix and resembles car paint prep and body work if you have ever done that type of thing and all you really need is some scotch brite pads, SEM flat black high build primer used for working with fiberglass and plastics, clear of flat black aluma-hyde, and some paper or plastic and tape for covering the non repair area of your gun. PREP and attention to detail are what makes or breaks the quality of your repair. PM me your # if interested and I can walk you through the process.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Just put a small tab of velco, the soft side of the velcro, on the shell deflector.

Have done this other rifles and it protects the finish.

YMMV.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think for now I will go with the soft side Velcro fix on the deflector and just see how any other wear possibly happens around the ejection port. I really want to shoot this gun on a regular basis and stop the safe queen treatment.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I think for now I will go with the soft side Velcro fix on the deflector and just see how any other wear possibly happens around the ejection port. I really want to shoot this gun on a regular basis and stop the safe queen treatment.
Then just shoot it and who cares if it gets a ding here or there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts