HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
If I have a G36 FBI semi-auto lower, do I have to swap out the FCG and drill the extra pin for the SL8 FCG ?
Can I just use the G36 semi-auto parts ?
Thanks in advanced for the advice.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Unless its SBR'd your parts count will be off if you dont. Most of those still have the catch/ release still on them, thats the part the trips on the F/A bolt carrier, its the 2 ears sticking up in the front top of the lower, you dont want to keep that part laying around unless you are a class II /SOT.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
I've heard some FBI lowers don't require the extra hold drilled. My 4-postion lower did not require it and the SL8 intenals popped right it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unless its SBR'd your parts count will be off if you dont. Most of those still have the catch/ release still on them, thats the part the trips on the F/A bolt carrier, its the 2 ears sticking up in the front top of the lower, you dont want to keep that part laying around unless you are a class II /SOT.
Tom,
Thanks for the advice.
I have count :
a) HDPS US mag (3 parts)
b) US gas piston
c) US bolt
d) KAC RAS handguard
to keep the SL8 922 happy.

So if I file down the circle part :

I am GTG with the FBI lower and SL8 ?

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOO filing!

The "ears" Tom is refering to is the actuator. It's a pivoting piece with two "ears" that rise out of the front of the grip housing, one on each side of the bolt-catch. It's not something you file, it's something you remove.

Go here...

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/G3/hk.htm

and download the G36E Armorer's Manual and scroll down to the pistol grip parts list. Look for the part call the "actuator"... that is the part that is absent in the SL8 FCG and is that part that will get you in trouble.

But if you have the FBI grip, there should be no actuator as the actuator is a select-fire component.

On that same site, poke around, you'll find good info regarding parts count. I also have a reply on the forums regarding parts count here...

http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70989

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Got it.
I also found these pictures in tactical excellence

For SL8

For G36 FBI

The actuator is the top left part, right ?
One thing interesting is the FBI lower actually has less part than the SL8 (locking lever, slide?)

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
Got it.
I also found these pictures in tactical excellence

For SL8

For G36 FBI

The actuator is the top left part, right ?
One thing interesting is the FBI lower actually has less part than the SL8 (locking lever, slide?)
Yep, the actuator is the top left part. I've never handled an FBI grip but based on it's function, I don't see why an FBI grip would have one.

You are correct, no slide or locking lever either on the FBI lower. The geometry of the slide is what dictates the fire-mode on the select-fire lowers. I honestly do not know why the FBI lower does not include a slide but the SL8 does.

If you took a 3 or 4-position lower and removed the actuator and slide, the gun would fire on semi-auto regardless of select-fire postion. Early on, a lot of people simply did this till many got "hassled" by LE when it was seen that the lever would move to the burst and F/A postions. The subject of legality is still open (since the SL8 receiver won't accept an F/A carrier) but most now-a-days people simply put the SL8 internals in to avoid it... plus the SL8 trigger pull is match-grade.

The function of the locking lever is still bewildering by me as I have removed it for testing and it shoots normally. I have read several descriptions of what it does but none of them seem to make sense if you study the operaton of the internals. Someday I'll write HK directly to get their answer.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I'm confused.... :/ will the FBI trigger group work in the SL8 as long as the catch is removed?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I'm confused.... :/ will the FBI trigger group work in the SL8 as long as the catch is removed?
Yes you may want to grind off the fbi hammers "catch" notch for extra cya.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Just to clarify, Yes, but the two ears sticking up are a safety sear and is considered a full auto part. This part holds a ledge on your hammer for a split second to allow the bolt to go full into battery before whacking the firing pin. This is needed for full auto or it would just be a slam fire. The hammer that has the extra ledge that isn't needed can be cut off or better yet, use you SL8 hammer. It could be considered a FA piece even though it isn't. M16 BCG's used to be considered an FA item, and they finally changed that. It's close to a G36 in that the back of bolt trips the paddle (which for a split second holds the hammer) and allows full battery before releasing it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts