HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK thanks. I sent him an IM asking if he'd share prints. I browsed his site and FB page, and didn't see a price list. What does he charge for barrel work?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Send Tommy a message on Facebook, he's very responsive and can answer all of your questions!

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
he's charging around 350 for the C barrels. Did mine, couldn't be happier. I wouldn't risk to go to someone that has never done it. It's not just cutting. You also have to weld the old gasport and add a new one that has a specific size

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts
Yes, do not take a chance. Tom has done MANY of them and there is something to be said for experience. His work is impeccable!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
You also have to weld the old gasport and add a new one that has a specific size
Isn't the gas port location on an SL8 barrel beyond the length of a G36C spec barrel? (And thus the ported area gets cut off)

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts
Isn't the gas port location on an SL8 barrel beyond the length of a G36C spec barrel? (And thus the ported area gets cut off)
Yes indeed, and moving the gas block is another element where experience counts for something.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Experience always counts. I've turned barrels before, but I don't have access to a lathe currently. A friend of mine has CNC equipment and does gunsmithing work all the time, so once we have the dimensions, I'm confident he could cut it accurately with that. I see Tommy Built comes highly recommended! He said he's doing 3 C barrels a week right now. Hopefully he'll share some dimensions.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Experience always counts. I've turned barrels before, but I don't have access to a lathe currently. A friend of mine has CNC equipment and does gunsmithing work all the time, so once we have the dimensions, I'm confident he could cut it accurately with that. I see Tommy Built comes highly recommended! He said he's doing 3 C barrels a week right now. Hopefully he'll share some dimensions.
"Hey, Tom, you know that stuff you do to make a living? How about you give me some of that for free." Seriously, pay @tbostic to perform the work. Tom pioneered SL8 to G36 conversions. He has stupid fast turnaround times, and you won't need to worry about if your friend's "gunsmithing" work is violating any federal regulations.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"Hey, Tom, you know that stuff you do to make a living? How about you give me some of that for free." Seriously, pay @tbostic to perform the work. Tom pioneered SL8 to G36 conversions. He has stupid fast turnaround times, and you won't need to worry about if your friend's "gunsmithing" work is violating any federal regulations.
Hey, Nzfly, you know that OP where I asked for barrel prints? If you don't have them, or a suggestion of where to get them, please lay off of my thread. Seriously.
I know Tom does great work. That wasn't my question.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Hey, Nzfly, you know that OP where I asked for barrel prints? If you don't have them, or a suggestion of where to get them, please lay off of my thread. Seriously.
I know Tom does great work. That wasn't my question.
You asked for barrel prints, correct. There really are only a couple guys who would have them, a member since 2009 could probably guess this without a post. Near everyone tells you to get Tom to do the work. You say, "I see Tommy Built comes highly recommended! He said he's doing 3 C barrels a week right now. Hopefully he'll share some dimensions."

Construing the my feedback as being solely based upon the quality of Tom's work is a bit disingenuous. "Hopefully he'll share some dimensions." IS MOOCHING.

You might reconsider what your OP is really asking for given the G36 is is still under patent and intellectual property laws. How about you ask HK, they will refer you to Tom too. LOL.

This all said, I will lay off the wizard is looking for a handout thread.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Obviously the guys who do barrel conversions would have this info. Yes, I've heard of a couple since 2009. I came here to ask everyone, and was then directed towards one person. You seem to be taking offense that I then asked this person.

You can call it "mooching" if you'd like. I'm just asking for information, which isn't a NFA or other violation. Stop trying to sound scary.

HK doesn't sell the barrels (except during replacement work) which is why everyone either re-profiles SL8 barrels or buys demilled kits.

I'm not trying to rob anyone's livelihood by re-profiling my own barrel. I learned a lot by reading here and doing my own work on legacy HKs many years ago. People on this board were very helpful then, and shared knowledge. It was great.

·
Banned
2,011 Posts
Obviously the guys who do barrel conversions would have this info. Yes, I've heard of a couple since 2009. I came here to ask everyone, and was then directed towards one person. You seem to be taking offense that I then asked this person.

You can call it "mooching" if you'd like. I'm just asking for information, which isn't a NFA or other violation. Stop trying to sound scary.

HK doesn't sell the barrels (except during replacement work) which is why everyone either re-profiles SL8 barrels or buys demilled kits.

I'm not trying to rob anyone's livelihood by re-profiling my own barrel. I learned a lot by reading here and doing my own work on legacy HKs many years ago. People on this board were very helpful then, and shared knowledge. It was great.

If you ask Tom to do it is one thing, asking him for DIMS, SPECS, PRINTS, or what ever you like to call them is another and I would be very surprised if he would acknowledge your question/Email/FB MSG.. YMMV

·
Banned
2,011 Posts
Do you know where I could find DIMS, SPECS, PRINTS, etc. for a G36C barrel?

Yes, I do!! None of those who I know that do would just give them out to someone, Even to do just your own Bbl!! That is just crazy seeing as everyone is stealing everyone's designs in recent years. Good luck in your search!!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Do you know where I could find DIMS, SPECS, PRINTS, etc. for a G36C barrel?
One option is to buy a G36C barrel or front end on GunBroker (there are a few on there now) and a nice set of calipers to get the actual dimensions. Nothing more real than the real thing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts