HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a G3K and wondered what members thought the best route to take getting there. Wait and buy one already finished or try to hunt up a parts kit (I don't see those too often) and have one built? Buy a flat or pay for a PTR receiver? Thanks and sorry if this is too noob a question.

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,383 Posts
Check out Investment Grade Firearms. Jayson does great work and his site breaks down the service/price well. If you go the HK route, you don't need much in the way in parts. Get yourself a HK91 and a HK33/93 forearm. There might be a few other items, but thats about it. He can cut the barrel and front of the rifle down for you. He can also make it the correct SBR length or permanently attach a slightly longer flash hider to keep it at 16 inches and prevent you from having to SBR it. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely need the flash hider (no SBR allowed here). Sounds like sacrilege to chop up a 91, are the replacement barrels decent?

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
It seems of somewhat limited value to get a G3k, with a 12.5" barrel + 4 hider (16.5 net") vs a HK-91 with a 20" barrel. Only a change of -4"... lota cash for 4 inches.... versus getting a new PTR-91KF with a 16" barrel, which will be just about the same size as the finished G3K project.

Sounds like you don't have a rifle to start from, if it were me with cash in hand, and I wanted a short(er), but non SBR .308 H&K style gun. I'd get the PTR with the 16" barrel.

·
HK Shooting Team
2,809 Posts
highly recommend a 91 to G3K conversion as it has a fantastic balance.....a pinned flash hider for the conversion is no big deal......a good deal on a used 91 and refiniished to G3K will make you smile

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I just bought a PTR91 carbine, MKE 93 handguard and 4 pos ambi lower and after stamp cut/threaded the barrel. The cheapest route for me but any of these other suggestions are good also.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great suggestions from everyone. I notice no one has suggested the parts kit / flat route yet.... Not recommended?

@jdonovan, I hear ya about the "4 inch" thing, but as another poster noted I'm looking for better balance and hopefully losing some of the weight. Though, it's probably sacrificing accuracy to get that, aye?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Last G3 kit Insaw last month was $725 (and didn't last long). A used HK91 is $2000-$2,500... Are the flats so crap that it's still better to get the used rifle?

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Great suggestions from everyone. I notice no one has suggested the parts kit / flat route yet.... Not recommended?
No reason for a flat, when you can get a fully formed reciever from PTR for just a bit more. You'll still need a bunch of US parts to get 922 sorted out. So the 'parts kit' will give you a trunion, paddle mag, sights, and a few other small parts... IMO not worth the $500ish they command these days.

I hear ya about the "4 inch" thing, but as another poster noted I'm looking for better balance and hopefully losing some of the weight. Though, it's probably sacrificing accuracy to get that, aye?
I seriously doubt a PTR with a factory 16" barrel vs a 12" + 4" flash hider is going to have a significantly different feel, or weight.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I saw one of the TPM G3K on gunbroker... How do you think it compares to the PTR w/16 inch barrell?

·
HK Shooting Team
2,809 Posts
go g3k, you wont be upset..... if you go ptr, you will still want the g3k

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's too bad these Guns aren't more common around here. It sure would be nice to be able to look at a few before I spend a small pile of cash.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I'm considering a G3K and wondered what members thought the best route to take getting there. Wait and buy one already finished or try to hunt up a parts kit (I don't see those too often) and have one built? Buy a flat or pay for a PTR receiver? Thanks and sorry if this is too noob a question.
If I were going to do it I would get a receiver and buy the needed remaining parts. I would have a pistol build done to get around the SBR registration requirement.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If I were going to do it I would get a receiver and buy the needed remaining parts. I would have a pistol build done to get around the SBR registration requirement.
I've gotta have the stock, and while I'm not geeked about it a decent flash hider wouldn't ruin my day.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts